Sep 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
Racquetball Lives!

Manta

Has anyone tried modeling the MANTA (Multi-Axis No Tail Aircraft).There are no control surfaces. Everything is by vectored thrust. I would think gyros a must for such an application.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2010, 12:14 PM
Fill'er Up!
Nope, haven't seen that one, but I did build an 8' B2 EDF last year. Didn't make it too long due to not enough power and I didn't make the drag rudders open enough. It flew for about 20 seconds. No gyros there, but I won't dispute the idea that it might have benefitted from it.

PART 3 - R/C B-2 Maiden & Crash - 8 Foot EDF (2 min 33 sec)
Feb 17, 2011, 10:35 AM

Ummm, dumb guy question on elevon setup

So, in an elevon plane, where the mixing is done in the radio, is there a way to use one gyro just to help with roll?

I'm building an EDF flat foam F22 and I'm sure it will be tossed around by the wind (25" wingspan and light wing load). If a gyro can help cancel roll when its windy, my assumption is that this would make for a better flying plane.

Thoughts?
Feb 17, 2011, 10:46 AM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickma
So, in an elevon plane, where the mixing is done in the radio, is there a way to use one gyro just to help with roll?

I'm building an EDF flat foam F22 and I'm sure it will be tossed around by the wind (25" wingspan and light wing load). If a gyro can help cancel roll when its windy, my assumption is that this would make for a better flying plane.

Thoughts?
Afraid not. You install the gyro after the mixer. You must use an onboard mixer, no mixing from the radio. You could set it up with aileron / elevator and then you don't have this issue as you can just put the gyro on the aileron.
Feb 17, 2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks bud, understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk
Afraid not. You install the gyro after the mixer. You must use an onboard mixer, no mixing from the radio. You could set it up with aileron / elevator and then you don't have this issue as you can just put the gyro on the aileron.
Jul 17, 2011, 05:58 PM

SU-37 Gyro stabilization

Details:
Wing span 50"
Tip to tip length 62"
2ea HET 70mm with Arc 28-57-1 motors
Esc: 2 Turnigy 100 amp
Batteries: 6 cell 6600mA (2 3300mA in parallel)
Fly Wt 9lbs
Power ratio: over 1:1
Radio: Futaba T10CAG
I have a scratch built SU-37 made of depron and 2oz fiberglass cloth. Usually I fly with the canard mixed in with the elevator. Canard end point is limited to 50% and rate is 80%. I can switch off and on the canard movements. Turning it on stops high speed stalls in turns. At this setting takeoffs are smooth about 15 degree rotation and as well as the landings. Canard is set at 10 degrees up and moves opposite the elevators.
After reading this forum I decided to install a E-Sky rate gyro. This gyro is set up as seen in the picture with the pot set to the middle. Gyro is placed at the CG and is wired to my mixed channel with its elevator mixing turned off, (The gyro controls canard movements only).
First flight there was a big difference. Takeoffs were long and shallow. High speeds caused accelerated climbs. Low speeds were more controllable and stable with the gyro. There was more high speed stalls on turns. Landings were also shallow and long and more controlled by throttle settings than pitch control.
My question is if the elevator/canard mix with the gyro will the plane fly any better? And what would be the optimum settings.
Also when a gyro first is powered on, does the plane need to be near its flying angle of attack? Right now the gyro is powered on when the plane is upside down and sitting on its vertical stabilizers.
Last edited by p901P901; Jul 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Jul 17, 2011, 06:37 PM
Fill'er Up!
It sounds like the gain is too high for high speed. Turn down the gain. Gyros feel like you are adding expo. Turn it down, your takeoffs will be better and high speed won't be pitchy
Jul 17, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hey Backwall youre post reminded me of a picture and aircraft from Quiet Flyer January 2007 volume 12 issue 1. I believe youre looking for something like this?
Jul 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
Fill'er Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901

My question is if the elevator/canard mix with the gyro will the plane fly any better? And what would be the optimum settings.
I think you would benefit from the canards only having the gyro on it, not on elevator. You can only do it with a physical y-connector, no radio mixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901
Also when a gyro first is powered on, does the plane need to be near its flying angle of attack? Right now the gyro is powered on when the plane is upside down and sitting on its vertical stabilizers.
The non-head hold gyros I have seen do not need to be oriented correctly to initialize properly. They only have an accelerometer on it, so it is simply monitoring changes from its current orientation and tried to counteract it. Once it locks into a new orientation, it will try to maintain that direction, but will never be able to return to the original position exactly.

Quick Reply