Sep 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
Just one more flight...
Thread OP
Discussion

SU-35 Simple Gyro-Stabilization!

Passing some info for all the guys that like to try something new. I'm working on a big project here with alot going on, but here is one simple tip that you might find useful for your regular airplane:

A simple gyro on the pitch allows me to move my CG way back and gives me way more maneuverability AND stability!

I've just done maybe 10 flights with the gyros in and WOW do I love it. It allows me do take the plane alot farther than I could without them.

A simple gyro like this put on your pitch control (elevator) would allow you to move your CG back and be more stable. Or if you have a plane thats unstable on the roll, put one on there, whatever. Bottom line, they worked a heck of alot better than I thought they would.

Lots more info in the video here:
SUPER ADVANCED RC JET (MUST SEE!!!) (8 min 16 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
As always I enjoyed the video. That is some CRAZY stuff!

- Jeff
Sep 21, 2008, 07:12 PM
Krued Up
Yea i just saw the vid yesterday and i thought that jet was sweet and then finding out it ran with gyros stabilization i was very impressed and interested in trying something like that in the future. thnx for sharing and showing us the light.

Angel
Sep 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'm a Registered User
That's pretty cool
Sep 21, 2008, 08:20 PM
Wow Makes me want a gyro even though I know it's not THAT simple (:
Sep 21, 2008, 08:54 PM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
This is something I been wanting to experiment with for my AP plane but now maybe I need one on all my planes...
Last edited by DeltaDart; Sep 21, 2008 at 09:23 PM.
Sep 21, 2008, 09:04 PM
Just one more flight...
Thread OP
Yes, I originally thought a single gyro on the roll was all I needed to help stop wing rock at high angels of attack. This, worked so I put one on the yaw as well. This was all I needed for high AOA.

Then I got one for the pitch just to see. Thats when I found I could move my CG way back and it held it for me.

So I rely on the roll and yaw gyro to hold me steady when I am at high AOA and hovering, and my pitch gyro for landings mostly. Its when you slow a tail heavy plane down to land is when it most flips up and goes out of control.

Its so worth a try if you guys have a plane that is unstable or to fast on the roll or pitch, or just want to smooth things out! I think this idea would be perfect for aerial photography. I think any gyro will work too, I used a cheap-o one.

- Dave
Sep 21, 2008, 09:17 PM
Great stuff. Any chance on publishing the mixers required? I might add this to my GWS J-10

chewy
Sep 21, 2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Abuser
I tried this a long time ago on an aerobatic plane. It seems like you need to get that gyro right on your CG inorder to crank up the gain. It works if its within 10-15 cm but it caused me to have a false sense of control.. If you are trying to make and unstable plane like a jet be stable, then this is good. If you are trying to make an aerobatic airplane more aerobatic, you are cheating..

Century Helicopter products used to sell some micro 3 gram gyros that worked pretty well..might want to try those out.
Sep 21, 2008, 09:26 PM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
A false sense of control works for me......that's all I have right now...
Sep 21, 2008, 09:51 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
If it's good enough for the big boys why shouldn't we benefit from a little on board computer control assistance.

My new lifting body will have 3 GY401's in it for full auto stabilization.....I hope......

Great video as always!

Why don't you have the gyro's set up for a toggle switch for "on/off" rather than pulling the physical wires?
Sep 21, 2008, 10:08 PM
Hey dave, I was able to find the gyros you are using for $12.60. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6616
Sep 21, 2008, 10:50 PM
Sweet !!

Paul
Sep 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
building building building!
That looks like a lot of fun! Can't help but wonder what you will come up with next. I'm assuming this will be on your website for sale soon?

Looking forward to hearing how the next, lighter version goes.

Great work!
Sep 22, 2008, 01:49 AM
Dave,
This high-alpha capable Su-35 is soooooo amazing!
Also some impressive R&D work on getting it gyro-stabilized. You have reached quite another level in RC modeling, I am very grateful for your sharing all this exciting know-how with the rest of us here in this forum.
I believe many people here are interested in plans whenever you make them available, for sure I am!
Excellent videos too!

Quick Reply