Feb 12, 2003, 09:12 PM
Been There! Done That!

E-Starter Mods

Here is where I'm at on the E-Starter... thought I would show you the mods I have made so far!
First problem was since I intend to use a 300C-D motor and 12 X 6 prop wanted to use a 8 cell NMH Pack but liked the battery door so here's the mod.....
Pic of battery and door
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2003, 09:13 PM
Been There! Done That!
Battery being inserted
Feb 12, 2003, 09:14 PM
Been There! Done That!
Battery in place (actually it's in upside down )
Feb 12, 2003, 09:18 PM
Been There! Done That!
My next mod is on the wing... didn't like the rubber aileron sleeves so straightened the wire by heating and installed aluminum tube sleeves. Got rid of the wing struts and routed a grove in the LE of wing and installed brass dihedral tube and fiberglass rods thick CAed in place then wrapped with clear packing tape. Here's a close-up
Feb 12, 2003, 09:21 PM
Been There! Done That!
As you can see I also used rod rubber band keepers to attach the wings since braces were'nt now necessary.. I also subsituted carbon rod for the bamboo stick across the wing center. I then painted the bottom of the wing red to aid in orientation when flying!
Feb 12, 2003, 09:24 PM
Been There! Done That!
Bent new heavier longer landing gear to clear 12 X 6 prop and installed better wheels also I changed the body striping as I didn't like the wrap around by the cowl! Also used better tail wheel and bent new tail wheel wire to allow! Note the velcro patches instead of the screw attachment for the cowl. Works well and have done this mod on the Zero, Cub, TM etc!
Last edited by boomerace; Feb 12, 2003 at 09:27 PM.
Feb 12, 2003, 09:34 PM
Tee Sqaured
Looks good boomer! be sure to let us know how she flyes!

Thomas
Feb 12, 2003, 09:35 PM
Boomer,

What size cells are in that battery pack? AA?

How much does it weigh?

David J.
Feb 12, 2003, 09:45 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidJ
Boomer,

What size cells are in that battery pack? AA?

How much does it weigh?

David J.
David,
Cells are AAA and it weighs 4.2oz.
boomer
Feb 12, 2003, 09:57 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
That looks great Boomer.

Hope you don't mind if I steal a couple of your ideas for mine, just started on one.

Wayne
Feb 12, 2003, 10:05 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by Basketcase
That looks great Boomer.

Hope you don't mind if I steal a couple of your ideas for mine, just started on one.

Wayne
Hi Wayne,
Have at it as that's why I posted! Guess I never can build one of the suckers "stock"! Guess it's just not in my nature!
boomer
Feb 12, 2003, 10:07 PM

Looking good Boomer.......

But don't trust that battery door latch! They like to snap shut, then mysteriously open during flight . A crosswise strip of packing tape solves it. -thumbs
Feb 12, 2003, 10:12 PM
Been There! Done That!

Re: Looking good Boomer.......

Quote:
Originally posted by fumblethumbs
But don't trust that battery door latch! They like to snap shut, then mysteriously open during flight . A crosswise strip of packing tape solves it. -thumbs
Thumbs it can't happen with the Mod because a portion of the battery is stuffed under the door frame and the way it fits in it has to be turned to extract so there is very little pressure on the door!
boomer
Feb 12, 2003, 10:36 PM
Okay, I feel better now . I'm interested in those wing stiffening mods. How much weight do you think was added? When's the maiden?-thumbs
Feb 13, 2003, 12:01 AM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by fumblethumbs
Okay, I feel better now . I'm interested in those wing stiffening mods. How much weight do you think was added? When's the maiden?-thumbs
They couldn't have added much weight but will weigh the bird when completed! If the weather report is right there won't be a flight window until at least Monday as it's supposed to rain starting tomorrow and go through the weekend!
boomer