Sep 18, 2008, 10:05 PM
God is my pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

Show us those planes you really need to replace!

It's late in the summer, you've been nursing that favorite plane along on a bottle of CA scraps of balsa, and packaging tape just trying to make it to winter build season! You just don't want to give up on that plane! So lets see those pictures you don't know weather to be proud or embarassed of!

Don't forget to post original weight and current weight if you have the data.

I'll start with my all time favorite: Mountain Models Switchback
Original AUW 13oz
Current AUW 15.5oz
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2008, 07:57 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Apparently, no one thinks they need to replace their plane, as for me, I need to get one built first, then I can worry about when it’s going to need to be replaced, which probably won’t be long after it’s built
Sep 20, 2008, 01:51 AM
I got an eflight extra foamy that fits this catagory. Only had it 2 months but pritty close to 100 flights. I sware it will turn into gorilla glue and CA. Hate to replace it so soon so I think ill keep thorwing her in the air till she wont fly anymore.
Sep 20, 2008, 06:23 AM
Last seen fleeing Detroit

new planes

Wow Jim,you sure got your moneys worth out of that Switchback...the only plane I might replace this winter is my old,but reliable SmoothE,it went in after the elevator servo gears failed,I can't complain,it was four years old and had hundreds of flights on it.For just general sport flying,you might try you hand at making a foamie from the 'scratch build' forum,they fly nicely and being foam...are really survivable.Here's two we built up and flew this summer...the 'nutball' and 'Blu-baby'.
Sep 20, 2008, 09:15 AM
God is my pilot
Thread OP
This was my first balsa plane, first low wing plane. It was my 3rd plane after my beginair and electrifly rcuniverse flatout (only lasted 13 flights) So this switchback has been through a lot of learning and many trees.
Sep 20, 2008, 09:17 AM
God is my pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm98
I got an eflight extra foamy that fits this catagory. Only had it 2 months but pritty close to 100 flights. I sware it will turn into gorilla glue and CA. Hate to replace it so soon so I think ill keep thorwing her in the air till she wont fly anymore.

Throw up a picuture if you can! That's a lot of flights on a flat foamie. Good job!
Jan 20, 2010, 08:33 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Here's my airfoilz yak 54. Battery fell off, broke both wings and fuse in half, repaired 3 times, recently turned into flying wing.
Apr 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
OMP, KST, FrSky.
Here's mine:

Leadfeather PBF

Original AUW: 8-10oz (depending on battery size)
Current AUW: 10+ oz
Apr 26, 2012, 11:05 AM
I've got a Kaltiesen Skeeter 30 that's a couple years old and looks like crap. Beyond crap, really. At this point it's kind of a game patching it up as required, and I longer care what the patches look like. I have a brand new Skeeter that's almost ready to fly -- and it's been in that state for a year or so now. There's no point finishing it until the first one dies, but it just isn't ready to shuffle off its mortal coils quite yet.

My old (first) Switchback was the same color as yours and looking just as ratty if not more so. Eventually I gave up on it. Switchback #2 is nearly complete and will maiden in a day or two, weather permitting.
Sep 12, 2018, 05:57 PM
In the 70's I built a Guillow's Fokker D.VII, and the bottom wing halves kept shearing off so I made it into a monoplane, flew the heck out of it til it landed on my neighbor's roof, and he got it off with a garden hose.

Quick Reply