Sep 17, 2008, 11:42 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Fly-In

Fort Worth Thunderbirds Electric Fly-In-Benbrook, TX, Nov 1, 2008

OK, folks. We are all set with our new fall date for the Fort Worth Thunderbirds Electric Fly in.

Come fly with us on Nov 1. Official hours are 9am to 5pm. There will be a raffle!

This date fits nicely into the calender space between BEST in early Oct. and the 114th Toys for Tots event in early Dec.

AMA required, this is an AMA sanctioned event.

We are going for minimal rules and hassle and maximum relaxed fun and lots of flying.

The landing fee is $15.00 and lunch is included.

Awards for:

Pilot's Choice: favorite model (via a vote of the registered pilots)
Best Scale model
Best Sport model
Best EDF model
CD's Choice (my choice..)
Largest electric (thinking about using weight in pounds multiplied by wingspan in feet, to give giant scale models a chance against large electric sailplanes.)

There WILL be a raffle!

Directions to field here:

http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/Field%20Directions.htm

Club web site here:

http://www.fwthunderbirds.org/

I hope to see all the usual suspects there, as well as any interested electric flyer withing driving distance!

This will be one of the last events held at our beautiful flying field on the western shore of Lake Benbrook in Dutch Branch park. Picture below. Next year our field will be moving to a new site at the southern end of the lake.

Don't miss it!

One new note, added 10/16:

For those of you visiting Thunderbird Field for the first time:

There is controlled access to Dutch Branch Park, where our field is located. At the gate, simply show your AMA card to the attendant and tell them you are here for the fly in at the model field.

They will give you a free pass that you tape to your windshield that allows access to the flying field area of the park.

note on raffle prizes, added 10/17:

Got some great stuff coming in. Some of the top items include the following:

Art-Tech Typhoon complete and ready to fly collective aerobatic helicopter! (from Hobby Lobby)
Spektrum DX6I radio system! (from Roy's Hobby Shop and the FW Thunderbirds)
RealFlight V4 R/C flight simulator! (from Great Planes and Roys Hobby Shop. This includes a free upgrade to v4.5 when it becomes available!)
Eflight Hawker Sea Fury ARF! (from Horizon and Roy's hobby Shop)
Last edited by Thomas B; Oct 17, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2008, 09:04 AM
Gun deer season opens that day!
Sep 18, 2008, 11:34 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekotil
Gun deer season opens that day!
Well, everyone has to put their hobbies in the right priority...

Hopefully, the weather will be great that weekemd. Not much chance of serious cold, or serious heat.
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Sep 18, 2008, 08:19 PM
Tom

Look forward to it and I'll bring my flight for a few sorties. ed
Sep 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
>> Gun deer season opens that day!

As long as we don't combine rifles and RC stuff I'll try to be there.
Sep 19, 2008, 08:54 AM
gwh
gwh
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavande
>> Gun deer season opens that day!

As long as we don't combine rifles and RC stuff I'll try to be there.

I think we should limit it to handguns. Even a Sr. Telemaster would have trouble with lifting the weight of most rifles.
Sep 20, 2008, 10:05 AM
Lost in the Sky
Keep the guns on the ground and build up some planes with brown tops, white bottoms, and balsa antlers on the nose.

Be a Uniter, not a Divider and bring the two sports together.
Sep 20, 2008, 12:32 PM
Cool guns and airplanes. I will be there....!

Mike
Sep 20, 2008, 02:55 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP

As long as you guys come and fly, I promise to forgive your actual reasons...
Sep 30, 2008, 06:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Getting some pretty good support from the vendors. I will soon be posting a sponsor list on the main post at the beginning of the thread.

If there are any vendors that I have not contacted, or have not yet contacted yet, that would like to support our event, please PM or email me and we will be glad to highlight your donations and company during our event.

I have decided to make a sacrifice for the raffle at the Fort worth Thunderbirds Electric fly in. I will limit myself to exactly 10 raffle tickets....does not seem fair to buy into one's own raffle.... So, you guys now have better odds in the raffle!
Oct 01, 2008, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Getting some pretty good support from the vendors. I will soon be posting a sponsor list on the main post at the beginning of the thread.

If there are any vendors that I have not contacted, or have not yet contacted yet, that would like to support our event, please PM or email me and we will be glad to highlight your donations and company during our event.

I have decided to make a sacrifice for the raffle at the Fort worth Thunderbirds Electric fly in. I will limit myself to exactly 10 raffle tickets....does not seem fair to buy into one's own raffle.... So, you guys now have better odds in the raffle!
you want to talk raffle woes, boy i have a pile to tell!!

Tom, your 'loophole' of only purchasing 10 tickets so you are not in the raffle...you are still in the raffle. with our raffle, i have not purchased ANY tickets for 3 years now because of off color comments from attendees. ( heck, its totally a game of chance, whats the big deal? right?) but i will not have ANY chance for negitive discussion on the subject, period. also we went to a clear ticket jar to get rid of other pilot comments of having a special pocket for friends tickets ( yes, that was said too) and typically i have a non-pilot or non-club member pull them (my daughter). set your ground rules now and stick to them for event. the raffle has a life of its own and without certain firewalls in place you tend to piss off more than a few people.

Kirk.
Oct 01, 2008, 04:45 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Good points well taken.

My comment was mostly a joke to let people know I will not be buying hundreds of tickets at my own raffle...

I have seen situations where the CD was in the raffle and the world did not actually come to an end.

I think I will bow completely out of it, though. I will just add that 10 bucks to my ticket purchases at BEST...

The clear jar is a good idea, as is letting a outsider/non participant do the drawing of the actual ticket...the latter is pretty standard practice anywhere.

No matter how you do it, some people will say silly things about the raffle things and joke about it.
Oct 09, 2008, 09:35 AM
MAR
Kirk,

I never would have thought someone would snoop like that to make comments as such. Totally childish!!!
Looking forward to seeing you at the fly-in.

Thomas,

Looking forward to attending the fly-in. That field looks really nice also. I guess I can bring what I could not fly at BEST.

See you guys there

Orlando
Oct 13, 2008, 07:21 PM
Lee Liddle
I missed BEST too. Sounds great. I`ll be there.

My name is Lee Liddle, I`ve been flying all E for about 4 years now. Big EDFs are my worst habit.

I`m a Field Rep for Tamjets and have two of his new TJ-100 fans flying. If you are interested in high powered EDFs, but have never seen one in action, make sure to come out. Also find me and introduce yourself. I`m looking for fellow power-crazy EDF Fan-additics in the area.

Here are a couple of pic of what I`m flying right now.

Lee
Oct 13, 2008, 09:39 PM
Lee Liddle
six views to one???

I didn`t know so many hot women read RCG! LOL

If your boyfriends catch you girls lookin` at my picture, you`re gonna be in trouble

Quick Reply