Sep 16, 2008, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Any way to turn off ESC low voltage cutoff?

My Castle Creations Phoenix 45 ESC seems to cutoff sometimes when the battery voltage decreases, but I would like to deactivate it. It does not show how to do this in the instruction manual. Is there any way to hack it?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2008, 10:32 PM
Mad Max meets the Thinker
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin
My Castle Creations Phoenix 45 ESC seems to cutoff sometimes when the battery voltage decreases, but I would like to deactivate it. It does not show how to do this in the instruction manual. Is there any way to hack it?
There is a significant safety issue involved in doing this. You do not want to drop the battery voltage too low or the batteries will be ruined or worse they will catch fire explode etc. Lithium ion cells become unstable if you abuse them. NiMh should never be taken fully down either, they will simply stop working or have no capacity. You should check your cell impedance and how you are using them if the LV cut off is kicking in. You might be able to adjust the LV cutoff it I believe however, again it's more likely you are abusing your batteries too much and it's kicking out because of that.
Sep 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
We want... Information!
You can set it to cut off at 4V (follow the instructions in your manual). Combine this setting with 'Soft Cutoff' and it won't cut until there is not enough voltage to operate the ESC!

Don't even think about doing this if you are running Lipos...
Sep 17, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
Oh, thanks guys. I forgot about the 4v mode. That should work good.
Sep 17, 2008, 05:37 PM
You probably just want the soft cutoff instead of the hard cutoff that is the default.
Then whatever you are powering with the ESC will just loose power until you give up

Bruce
Oct 04, 2019, 04:25 AM

Low voltage cut off

i recently purchased a hobby wing max 10 sct, and i am trying to run a 7s NIMH in it. this should work but it only goes for about 15 seconds and then cuts out. after this the esc flashes red, red, red, red continuously, the manual says that this is low voltage cut off but i am not sure how to turn this off.
Oct 19, 2019, 04:35 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebtheboly
i recently purchased a hobby wing max 10 sct, and i am trying to run a 7s NIMH in it. this should work but it only goes for about 15 seconds and then cuts out. after this the esc flashes red, red, red, red continuously, the manual says that this is low voltage cut off but i am not sure how to turn this off.
This one?:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=20187925828

Instructions say to disable low voltage cut off when using NiMh packs.
Can be done with or without the programming box

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...40967152689469

Quick Reply