Oct 01, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Crossweaved and lookin, smooth. Tape overlaps 10cm at the wing joint for added strength. start from the trailing edge and work forwards (gives a smoother airflow than the other way round). Tape strips overlapped 5mm or so.
Last edited by Synergy1; Nov 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: lazy spelling
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2008, 11:40 AM
Thread OP
the ailerons are done now. They are covered in x-weave tape and top hinged using cross weve tape.

Before i covered them in tape I planed the the lower leading edge of the aileron strip (balsa) to an angle, by eye, to remove material to allow the hinge to work properly. when you plane make sure its even along the whole length, start at one end and finish at the other and apply the same pressure throughout. Once planed I then sanded and, cross weaved and then top hinged the ailerons using anoher strip of cross weave.
Oct 04, 2008, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
covering is now mostly done. photos to follow.
Oct 05, 2008, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
I hate compound curves . The models looking pretty good now and ill put some picures on later today. In the end..around the canopy i had to resort to lots of little nicks and cuts and lots of shrinking, to get the film to cover the canopy. I then masked it off, sanded it with fine wet and dry and then sprayed it with grey automotive primer which has given me a reasonable looking canopy, ill use some spray on laquer later to give it a classy finish and seal in the primer so it doesnt rub off.

All thats left to do is a few cosmetic bits and bobs, I need to shorten the ailerons a bit to allow for clearence of the wing retaining rubber bands (oops! ), then make all the throws move by the right amounts, sort out the CofG, do a range check, then wait for the right wind and throw it off my local slope...gulp

the pictures of a crossweaved airframe are now a dim and distant memory and I'm imagining what it will look like in the air and whether to have yellow stars on the wings or stripes...or neither...and whether to add velcro-on tip tanks or not. (= more drag).
Last edited by Synergy1; Oct 05, 2008 at 07:01 AM.
Oct 05, 2008, 07:25 AM
Composites Kid
Very nice work. Ill be following this build, I am eager to see the final product and its performance on the slope.
Oct 06, 2008, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
Well here's the promised photos, I've not quite finished the covering, I have to do the last bit on the top of the fuselage above the fin, then ive got to cut some holes where the servo arms pop out of the wings, and do any trim like stars or lines etc, the sort out the controll linkages and throws.
Oct 10, 2008, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
linkages are linked,, put some stripes on the wings, now trying to sort the throws out, for some inexplicable reason one aileron doesnt zero itself back to the same place when moved in one direction, compared to the other..huuuh?

hope to figure it out over the weekend get it all sussed and then maiden it on the Long Mynd on monday if all goes to plan!
Oct 10, 2008, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Nooooooooooo!

Faulty servo! AAAAAAAAARRRGH!

The left aileron servo is a duffer! it doesn't zero itself correcly and isnt behaving proportinately like the other one (over sensitive to initial stick movement)..no folks its not the expo setting on the transmitter, ive swapped channels, undone the linkages etc etc and catergorically proved its a dud servo.

Well thats the maiden flight postponed , ive now got to cut through that lovely covering , through the cross weave and pull out the servo and replace it.

Folks: spare yourself the dissapointment of this and BUY A SERVO TESTER !and test all your servo's before you glue them into the wing!!

Hopefully steve webb's will send me a replacement fairly soon, they are usually pretty good on their customer service.
Oct 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
got another servo from a local shop and finished the setup and repaired the wing, you cant really tell..phew !

the maiden is back on !

Just got the balance point to sort out now. all the flappy bits are flapping the right ammount, and ive got the programming for spoilerons etc etc sussed.

Ill put some photos of the finished model on later
Last edited by Synergy1; Oct 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
Oct 13, 2008, 10:53 AM
Thread OP
woohoo maiden flight was a sucess, (dont you just love that feeling!) initially launced with the rates setting on high but put the rates down due to twitchy flight behaviour. The roll rate is a lot better than anything else ive flown ( i set up a bit of differential on the ailerons too) and the Long Mynd had really good lift today. Thanks to the friendly chap with another phoenix model products model there, the kindness of strangers always amazes me: held my glider whilst i struggled to get the wing bands on and even offered me a go of his glider to get a feel for the slope before i maidened my own model ! It has to be said, compared to the Long Mynd my normal flying site is a mere pimple on the landscape.

The C/G seems about right and for the spoileron setting ellevator compensation is needed or you get a very rapid stall and nose dive!

brr its getting cold now, my next outing will have to involve more clothing, a hat, gloves and probably a thermos flask for when everthing has gone numb.

Having now seen a phoenix models impulse fly, im also tempted to get one of them too now as the large wing area should make it fly quite well in light conditions.

i dont have photos of the MB339 in the air yet, it was too cold and i was far too busy enjoying myself!

further cosmetic refinement will be the addition of velcro on tip tanks and some more white on the underside of the wing to help it stand out better when in the air.
Last edited by Synergy1; Oct 13, 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Oct 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Well done, a nice clean build - will look even better once the tip tanks are on!

Re: the duff servo, I don't think servo testers are required as long as you thoroughly test it before sticking it in a wing, particularly if it's going into a taped/filmed tomb! I've never made that mistake, but when I had my one and only gear failure in a foamie it was a right royal pain in the ass getting in and out again, and spoiled my nice shiny covering job! Boo!

PS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1
Having now seen a phoenix models impulse fly, im also tempted to get one of them too now as the large wing area should make it fly quite well in light conditions.
I wouldn't bother - the Impulse is little more than average I'm afraid. It has very safe handling, but all that sweep means less performance - an M60, Moth, Skua (either size) or Halfpipe 48 will run wings around it in pretty much all conditions, and all still have pretty viceless handling.
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM.
Oct 13, 2008, 02:30 PM
Thread OP
hey matty b, thanks for the comments...
Oct 13, 2008, 02:34 PM
I failed linkage geometry
Nice, clean build. Very impressed by the smoothness of the finish.

Just wondering whether to get one of these and back-date to an MB-326 or order the Impala kit from South Africa.........

Gotta do the Aussie Roulettes scheme
Oct 13, 2008, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug
Nice, clean build. Very impressed by the smoothness of the finish.

Just wondering whether to get one of these and back-date to an MB-326 or order the Impala kit from South Africa.........

Gotta do the Aussie Roulettes scheme
i reckon thats definatelgy do-able, just make the nose a bit shorter, rounder and make the fuselage a bit rounder too, maybe add a few thin sheets of epp to the fuselage sides to add volume to the fuselage to a rounder, fatter and more oval, rather than square shape? ..

I hear that Stan Yeo is selling his Phoenix model products business..if thats true id get your order in pronto!
Last edited by Synergy1; Oct 13, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Oct 13, 2008, 05:09 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1
I hear that Stan Yeo is selling his Phoenix model products business..if thats true id get your order in pronto!
He's definitely dropping all the kits - can't get EPP at a cost effective price apparently. Wasn't aware he was selling the whole business though...

Quick Reply