Sep 18, 2008, 09:24 AM
Thread OP

The First Dry Run

With the LG assembly roughed together, the whole model was assembled to check for rough fit. So far, so good. The next step is to carve the foam nose and tail blocks and mount the drive system.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipescs
Awsome

My Model D looks like a tank in comparison
Not to worry, There's plenty of room for both out there. Personally, I like flying lighter wing loadings, but not everybody does, so likely as not we'll both be in good shape.

PAT
Sep 18, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thread OP
Charlie, As tight as things are in the pants there's not much room for movement anyway, so I think we'll be OK. If not, it'll be just like having breaks and I'll need to use a rubber prop

PAT
Sep 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
designer/builder
Looks great Pat!

I love this plane also and I hope to build it in full scale one day (I've got copies of most of the original drawings).

Rob
Sep 18, 2008, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Not to worry, There's plenty of room for both out there. Personally, I like flying lighter wing loadings, but not everybody does, so likely as not we'll both be in good shape.
This is the one area I feel good about in my modeling. I do not let the money side of my life touch the only hobby that keeps me sain. The one thing the PT-19, Model D and Model Y taught me was to never go there again.

MadRobs Model Z also showed me I will never go that light and small again. Too delicate for my heavy handed method. Must admit though he drove my designing to a better level. I am from the old school of cut to within a sixteenth and sand to fit. He showed me that you get a better model if it is done on the screen first.

I just ordered another one of my Model D's from John to finish off the project. I am hoping it will look a little more scale and with the longer tail fly somewhat better
Sep 18, 2008, 08:46 PM
Do you have a projected weight yet?
Sep 20, 2008, 11:43 AM
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Looking great . Looks like you'll have plenty of control with those aelerons . Trying to follow along...but miss a day or two and you got it almost done

Definately got to have one .

Are there plans for any more "racers" ?

-John
Sep 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Pipescs, As it stands now, less ESC, Rx, cover, and battery we're at 5.4 oz. I would like to see it come in under 11 RTF. That will keep the wing loading around 9 oz., which for me is plenty. Where we fly, a fast landing heavily loaded model is murder on the LG, prop, and the top of the rudder.

John, Definitely. The next one up is the Howard Ike. I'd also like to do one more after that, but don't know for sure what it might be just yet.

PAT
Sep 20, 2008, 04:39 PM
Neophyte hacker
That's about right Pat. The little 30" E was about 9oz RTF. But, only had about 100sq in of wing, which meant a wingloading of nearer to 13 oz/sq ft. Now I know why it landed so fast

~10oz/sq ft and you will have a nicely loaded plane. Won't be quite as 'floaty' as to what you're use to, but, I'd love it

charlie
Sep 21, 2008, 09:35 PM
Thread OP

Shaping the Foam Parts

The nose bowl and tail fairing blocks were carved from blue foam. A jigging block will be supplied in the short kit for setting up the tail blocks.
Sep 21, 2008, 09:41 PM
Thread OP

Fitting the Cockpit Fairing

The cockpit fairing was cut from Manila file folder and glued in place. The windshield was then molded to fit.

The molding process begins by taping the shaped windshield securely around a glass jar of the appropriate diameter. The jar is then filled with water and placed in the Microwave for 2 minutes on high to boil the water.

The jar is removed from the oven and filled with cold water to cool it all down, then the windshield removed from the jar and fitted on the model.
Sep 21, 2008, 09:44 PM
Thread OP

The Last Dry Run Before Covering

With all the sub-assemblies done and the blocks shaped the GeeBee was assembled one more time to check for any last problems before covering. At this point, it all looks good, and is ready for cover.

PAT
Sep 29, 2008, 01:50 PM
Thread OP

Finishing the Wheel Pants

Got the wheel pants painted and pinstriped. The blue is a lottle dark, but was the closest I could find to a color to match the vynil that will be used for trim.

When the pants were finished it was time to get started covering.

PAT
Sep 29, 2008, 05:39 PM
Pat, do you happen to have any shots of your work area, id like to get some ideas to help make my work room more builder friendly.

Thanx

Adam
Sep 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
Thread OP

Workshop Layout

Adam, My shop is layed out in such a way that nothing is more then a couple steps away. The power tools are on 3 work benches in a "U" shaped configuration so that everything is handy.

The framing benches are in an "L" shaped configuration with the small bench, which is accesable from only one side for overflow. The main bench is accessable from 3 sides, though I work from the longest side, which is closest to the power tools and hand tool pegboards. There are also 2 caddies on the bench that house all the glues and common tools that are basically always in use.

Then on the other side is the shelf and cabinets that house the lesser used items.

I know it looks a mess, but that's mostly cause there's a ton of stuff in a fairly compact area. But the main reason is cause it's a mess, and really could use a good straightening up.

PAT

Quick Reply