Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Discussion

Building the 32" GeeBee Model D

After contemplating doing a GeeBee Model D -- my favorite of the GeeBees BTW -- litterally for years, the build is finally underway. There seems to be an interest afoot in these Golden Age racers, so thought it might be a good time to have a go at it. And since you can't race just one, there is a follow up design in the works, but you'll just have to wait around awhile to see what it is

Meanwhile, the span is 32", and it will be set up with an IPS/Fieggao drive system and 4 ch. using 3 servos. Target weight is around 10 oz. I'd shoot for 8, but we all know about those massive landing gear fairings. So, let's get building!

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:01 PM

Starting With the Tail Section

The horizontal tail is pretty straight forward. Laser cut tips were done so no bowing is needed here.

The rudder does use a bouwed outline. Otherwise, nothing fancy there either.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:04 PM

Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage side frames are done up in 1/8 sq. and 1/16 X 1/8 balsa. Joining the sides begins with the motor mount former and the wing bolt plate. From there, the rest of the formers are added.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:10 PM

Finishing the Fuselage Frame

Once all the formers were in place, the motor mount and stringers were added.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:25 PM

Getting Started on the Wing

It starts with gluing the dihedral braces in place on the main spar. The wing is then framed over the plans. Once the ribs and spars are assembled the LE, TE, and tip bows are added.

The next step will be to build up the aieron, then on to the other wing.

PAT
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:55 PM
Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Two left thumbs
You did all that in one day!?!?!? WOW!!!

Neat subject!

Geoff
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Short Kit? (I hope) Construction article? Don't want to have to wait for Dumas to put it out. Would make a great companion to my Model Z kit.

Pete G.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:22 AM
Geoff, Actually, I picked up the plans on Friday, the parts were already here. Construcrion began on Saturday. As always, it started with making up the bowed outlines for the wingtips and rudder. I got the tail section done on Saturday, and since the winds yesterday started out nasty and got progressively worse as the day wore on, there was plenty of time to work up the fuselage and get started on the wing.

As it turns out, there were no changes on the fuselage parts. Everything fit good and worked out nicely. There were a couple of minor flubs on the wing parts, but those are all fixed now, so the second wing will go together even quicker then the first.

Pete, I will be offering this one as a short kit just as soon as the Construction Article runs. And since this one is being done "by request" there will probably be a little less time laps between between submission and publication. And yes, it will make a terrific companion to the "Z".

PAT
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
[QUOTE=P. Tritle]Once all the formers were in place, the motor mount and stringers were added.[/QUOTE

Is the GWS style motor mount stick removable/replaceable?. That would be a nice feature!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Another to add to the "list"... Looks awesome Pat ! Eagerly watching the progress .

-John
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:13 PM

Finishing Up the Wing

Got back on the wing today and got all the wood work done. The ailerons are finished, everything is shaped, and the ailerons are hinged. The torque rods are also in and set up, too. Also got the wing bolted to the fuselage and the belly pan set up.

Had hoped to get the servo in and the pushrods built, but just plain ran out of time. So, the plan for tomorrow is to get the rest of the servos in and the control systems run in. Then the only major component left will be the landing gear.

PAT
Old Sep 17, 2008, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by pipescs
Awsome

My Model D looks like a tank in comparison
Old Sep 17, 2008, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Pat,

Don't forget to do the LG as a single wire so it has some 'spring' inside the pant.

charlie
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:12 AM

Mounting the Servos

Got the servos in and the ailerons pushrods set up. Then it was back to the fuselage to run in the pushrod tubes.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:21 AM

Building Up the Wheel Pants

The landing gear wire is shaped from .046 wire. The wheel pants are then built up, the wire gear fitted and the otherside of the pant gluedtogether, except for the outer layer, whichwent on after the wheel was in place.

Well, after a couple phone calls it was obviouse I wasn't going to be able to buy wheels without what could have been a good long wait, so I made them from EPP foam and 1/32 ply. Not the best way I know, but the only option is always the best option.

The pants were shaped and sanded, then a coat of WBPU applied to begin prep for paint.