Jan 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
Bill you say here near the bottom, that a second home arrow can be set to point at a waypoint?? Can the osd pro be programmed with various waypoints, and once you reach waypoint one, it will then show you the direction to waypoint two, and keep going (lets say to 10 waypoints)?? I realize we would have to fly the plane to the individual waypoints, but it would be great if the osd pro would show you how to get there!!! Or does it already do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Thanks for the feedback! Absolute, we may end up doing multiple fonts sizes. It's trivial to do in the firmware, but the problem is getting all the features formatted. We will look into this.

Carlyle, please see below...

Yes. We will soon have a second voltage monitor that plugs into the eLogger, which will be available for display as a parameter on the OSD. The battery remaining icon is presently driven by mAH, which will not be monitored by the second voltage sensor (only voltage). So, we may not be able to enable a second battery icon without a second current sensor, unless we switch the second battery icon to be driven by a user specified high and low voltage.

That's what we did. The font from the original OSD is the same one we are displaying on the OSD-Pro. I suspect that we need to tweak the aspect ratio of the font, which is just changing a parameter. I will look into that. Note that the demo video I created today is, er, less than stellar quality, and the actual font looks a bit better than that.

The spinning bearing indicator (which I call the little airplane) is actually part of the 'RADAR' feature. The center of the screen is home. The up direction is settable by you. Normally, you'd set UP to be the direction you are facing as you fly. Then, as your plane moves relative to home, the plane icon moves relative to the center of the screen. The "RADAR range" is settable. For example, if you set UP to be 0 degrees (NORTH), and your plane is flying northwest , plane icon will point to true bearing, and the plane icon will move toward the upper-lefthand point on the screen. The RADAR feature is the ultimate way to keep tabs on where you are relative to home.

In addition to the RADAR feature, the home arrow will point to home, and a second "home" arrow is available to point to your waypoint, if defined, i.e., Hom ^, Way >. The arrows are repositionable, just like the other parameters.

Got it! The second voltage sensor should do the trick for you.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2009, 05:53 PM
Bill, I have a request or a question, depends on if I am doing something wrong.

I power my camera and tx with a seperate battery, which should/could be helpful if my main pack dies, I can still transmit video during the crash.

The problem is that the current OSD module doesn't allow the video to be passed through it until the logger is powered up. If my main pack dies, it is going to take out the video.

Can you provide a pass through so that the video directly passes through an unpowered OSD module?

Nathan
Jan 25, 2009, 09:29 PM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Once again Pandora has a new present to open.

SO, pending your response Bill, regarding the waypoint direction. What would the eagle trees controls be compensating for? Aile, Rudder, Elevator? Would it override the FMA Copilot?
Last edited by blade thrasher; Jan 25, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Jan 25, 2009, 09:54 PM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj988
Bill, I have a request or a question, depends on if I am doing something wrong.

I power my camera and tx with a seperate battery, which should/could be helpful if my main pack dies, I can still transmit video during the crash.

The problem is that the current OSD module doesn't allow the video to be passed through it until the logger is powered up. If my main pack dies, it is going to take out the video.

Can you provide a pass through so that the video directly passes through an unpowered OSD module?

Nathan
Heh heh. I tried this same idea. nope. your video is gone if you want OSD. Unless Bill has a surprise we don"t know about.
Jan 25, 2009, 09:59 PM
Love anything RC
Can't you just close your eyes and let the force guide you?
Jan 25, 2009, 11:06 PM
FPV Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj988
Bill,

Nathan
That would be nice...I have this issue on my high voltage aircraft/car since I have to power the OSD/logger from a seperate battery and if that battery should fail during flight it's all over .
Jan 25, 2009, 11:34 PM
ob1
ob1
Not sure what the V3Logger voltage requirements are, but would it be possible to power the OSD from either the servo connector or the camera/tx connector? Presummably the OSD would be connected to the RC rx and/or the camera-tx, so could use power from either. Maybe it isn't possible to incorporate this into the current "standard" OSD, but why not incorporate it into the OSDPro? Seems like it could operate from the primary source (logger) as long as there was sufficient voltage, and then "failover" to the voltage suppplied by either the servo connection or the cam-tx connection.
Just my 2-cents.
ob1
Jan 26, 2009, 10:15 AM
That was my thought, too. The problem I can see is that it would require a 5v regulator, as that is probably what the module runs on. This may be fine for a 12v camera, but a 5v camera after 5v regulation is going to be a little lower, maybe 4.5V or something.

The other option that I can would be like a relay. When the module is unpowered, the video in is directly connected to video out. If the module gets powered up, then the video in gets directed through the video circuitry.

I don't know when one takes less space on a circuit board, as that is probably the key factor for this thing.
Jan 26, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
lilphil26, yes, at this time we will support up to 3 waypoints, and they will be displayed on the "RADAR" screen as points numbered 1, 2, 3, located geographically correctly. There is a Waypoint arrow that points to the next waypoint, and also the "little plane" icon on the RADAR screen will travel toward the waypoint when you are flying the correct bearing.

nathanj988, with the standard OSD module, the power can only come from the eLogger, and the OSD will not display video unless it is powered. But, the eLogger has an option for our "battery backup harness" which plugs between the eLogger and a spare RX channel (must be 4.5V to 6.5V range). This will power the eLogger in case your main pack fails, assuming your RX is powered. If not, you don't want to see the video!

blade thrasher, the RTH function controls the ailerons OR rudder, the throttle, and the elevator. I can think of no reason why the CoPilot (when placed at the end of the chain, nearest the servos) would not continue to do what it should.

ob1, that's exactly right. The OSD-Pro takes power from both the RX connections, and the eLogger. As long as one of those is working, the OSD will receive power. Also, the OSD-Pro will probably provide limited (dimmed) video throughput even if the OSD is unpowered.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
Jan 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
Sounds like a well thought out modular implementation!

-tychoc
Jan 27, 2009, 01:02 PM
So when will they be released Bill?
Jan 27, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ok sorry, just saw mid Feb,

Can I pre-order?

I'll gladly beta-test, got the V3 logger,GPS and Easystar, but I'm from South Africa, sunny weather isn't a problem... :-)
Jan 28, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Bill, is it too late to include the capability for ground based antenna tracking of the aeroplane and also the circuit board that would need to be at the ground station to decipher the gps data to driver 2 servos for antenna pan and tilt?
I believe the gps data can be sent in the video signal so as to preserve the use of the audio channel.

cheers Geoff
Jan 30, 2009, 09:28 AM
Well I was going to get one of these anyways, but now I'm just anxious as hell to get one knowing that it does waypoints.
Jan 30, 2009, 09:59 AM
Can you make a provision for the IMU module (inertial measurement unit), something like in this video?
(8 min 17 sec)

Quick Reply