Sep 13, 2008, 11:13 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Thread OP
Discussion

My Next 3D Plane: SA Stella or PA Addiction or?

Hi Folks,

I am an older guy who has been flying about a year now. It is a realization of a lifelong yearning. I find that I like 3D/freestyle flying. I have become fairly proficient with a HL Yak and MS Composite Blade Dancer and can do some basic aerobatics and 3D manuvers like a very good hover, OK KE, and reasonable harrier. I do most of my flying at home in a fairly small field which limits what I can practice but have recently joined a club. Of course I am addicted and have been looking at a couple of new planes.

I like the SA Stella because I like building, because it can use the 1300 3S lipos that I have quite a few of as well as servos and other stuff I have, because it looks nice, and because I can repair it when I inevitably crash it. I wonder if it will be enough of a step up from my Blade Dancer however.

The PA Addition is a little bigger, and is ARF, but looks like it can do amazing things in the hands of a pro. I like the carbon reinforced design, but I do wonder if it will be harder to repair when I ding it up, if it will crash worse because it is bigger, and I have to use more expensive servos and buy yet more bigger and more expensive batteries. I also wonder if it will be easier or harder to learn more advanced techniques, mostly involving inverted stuff and rolling circles.

The people at the club kind of look down on all these small planes and mostly fly gassers ranging from 55" to 100 plus inches, but I prefer the electrics since I can fly them at home and don't have the resources to buy electric components for the big planes, nor the skill to fly them.

I have asked this question in the individual threads, but though I would open it up to the larger group, and welcome any and all comments and opinions. Thanks, Joe
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2008, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
I should add the Mountain Models Tantrum to my list I guess as it seems to have similar dimensions to the Stella, though it is quite a bit lighter if specs are to be believed. Thanks, Joe
Sep 13, 2008, 02:27 PM
I haven't flown the PA Addiction, but I have a Stella. My Stella goes to the field with me every time I go. I love it. If you are using a Hacker 20 20 or similar on you MS Composite and HS-55 servos, you should be able to transfer everything... the cheapest route. It's a great plane that you won't regret building.

The Tantrum I've heard is a good flyer. Mountain Model and SA planes are the easiest balsa kits one can build on the market today. I built 2 MM's and 4 SA planes, and I just purchased a SA Groove (already built) from Aobid (location N. VA) Ironically, he has a Tantrum for sale too. If you are worried about your own building skills, you could ask him to ship the plane. Anyway, this guy is a top notch builder. I wouldn't think twice about the quality of the build, or buying from him via RCGroups market place. Check it out here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921089
Sep 14, 2008, 06:14 AM
Thread OP
Thanks pdietrich. I rather enjoy building, and the advantage is that I can fix em if I smash em. I like the CF reinforced PA Addiction, but my guess is that it would be hard to fix if smashed up because of the CF and also more ply involved.

I don't suppose you have flown your new Groove, but I was also considering the Groove for a while. It does require bigger Lipos which is a whole additional investment as I have a few 1300's.

I am kind of leaning toward the Stella because I would guess it would fly in a smaller space, and is maybe more of a 3D plane that will fly pattern OK rather than the other way around.

Did you put the rudder in the fuselage or near the tail. If one were to put it near the tail would it create a CG problem if using a 1300 mah 3S lipo in your opinion?
Sep 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Thanks pdietrich. I rather enjoy building, and the advantage is that I can fix em if I smash em. I like the CF reinforced PA Addiction, but my guess is that it would be hard to fix if smashed up because of the CF and also more ply involved.

I don't suppose you have flown your new Groove, but I was also considering the Groove for a while. It does require bigger Lipos which is a whole additional investment as I have a few 1300's.

I am kind of leaning toward the Stella because I would guess it would fly in a smaller space, and is maybe more of a 3D plane that will fly pattern OK rather than the other way around.

Did you put the rudder in the fuselage or near the tail. If one were to put it near the tail would it create a CG problem if using a 1300 mah 3S lipo in your opinion?

Did you put the rudder in the fuselage or near the tail. If one were to put it near the tail would it create a CG problem if using a 1300 mah 3S lipo in your opinion?[/QUOTE]

I did have a chance to fly the Groove I just bought, and it flew better than the one I put together. The Groove is a great plane, but is NOT a 3D plane. If you want to fly 3D, go with the Stella.

My Stella setup:

Hacker 20 20L
Jeti 18 esc
4 HS-55's (pull/pull rudder, servo in the fuse)
Spektrum Rx 6100 (I think)
1320 Thunder Power

I don't have a scale, but the plane is very light. You certainly will be able to fly the Stella in a smaller area than the Groove. The Stella will shine on a baseball field (infield), and the Groove needs something on the order of a soccer field. Having said that, I've flown my Groove on a baseball field. You just need to be more exact in you landing approach. Both are very floaty, and don't like a lot of wind. I find that my Stella flies better 3D with a CG closer to the back of the suggested CG range. KE coupled a fair amount to the gear, but I could fly through it. I eventually just programed it out.

Another plane that always goes to the field with me is my Kaltiesen Skeeter 30. It's a Fun Fly/3D profile plane. You can buy the kit for $30ish or scratch build it from plans in the "Let's build a Skeeter thread." This plane can fly slow and do anything you throw at it. It is my test/practice plane due to the low cost of replacement. KE at a walking pace, insane blenders that flatten out with ease, up right and inverted spins are a breeze, and harriers upright and inverted are very stable.
Sep 14, 2008, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
pdietrich, thanks for the input. I am torn a little because at the Club I joined they like BIG planes, but it is very convenient to fly at home in my smaller field, bigger than a baseball infield but definitely not a soccer field and tree lined all sides, and I really like the 3D so I think it will be the Stella. I have a HL Yak profile plane to experiment with, maybe not quite as slow as the Skeeter, but similar concept and cheap to replace (I am on No 4).

Anyway, thanks for the help and enjoy the Groove!. Joe
Feb 10, 2013, 11:54 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Joe,

Did you go with the Stella? I'm going to be building one for a friend soon and was looking for some build tips. I have not found a build thread for one yet and I have yet to build a plane that did not have a few "issues" in the build.

Thanks,

Frank
Feb 14, 2013, 04:57 AM
Fly Till You Die
Go with the PA Addiction you can't beat it lots of wing area and light it will do everything well.
The small one is very good and the X is excellent. I haven't been able to find a better 3d electric.
You can fly the regular Addiction in a gym it is so light and fluffy.
Feb 14, 2013, 05:36 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Pa addiction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 14, 2013, 07:17 AM
Addicted to 3DHS, EF and Flex
I would not go with PA, the "fiberfusuion' is just a gimmick. It is just for show mainly. 3D Hobby Shop is where you need to go. If balsa is where you want to go check out there 47'' extra SHP. It flies a lot better than the PA addiction.
Feb 14, 2013, 07:19 AM
Here is a video showing just how capable this plane is.

3DHS 47SHP River flying pilot Joe Smith (5 min 7 sec)
Feb 14, 2013, 07:40 AM
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'll bet u2builder made a decision some time ago.
Feb 14, 2013, 07:59 AM

3D Plane

I have to agree with 3DAddict. I have both the PA Addiction and 3DHS 47" Extra SHP. The Extra SHP is much nicer. The Addiction is too light and fragile. It's fun when there is no or very little wind, otherwise it's all over. I'll take the Extra SHP any day. Just my opinion.
Feb 14, 2013, 08:54 AM
how'd I do that....oh
all a matter of opinion I guess bit I'm down with the addy.I've had most fun with mine in the wind.but hey.any of the "big 3" will rock the skies
the X is maybe better.here's Radio Rookie havin some fun
Radio Rookie Flying Precision Aerobatics Addiction X With Style (1 min 28 sec)
Feb 14, 2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX
all a matter of opinion I guess bit I'm down with the addy.I've had most fun with mine in the wind.but hey.any of the "big 3" will rock the skies
the X is maybe better.here's Radio Rookie havin some fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4BuA43Yx98
The addiction X is another size up. If you want a great plane in that size I would highly recommend the 3dhs 51'' AJ slick.

Quick Reply