May 09, 2012, 04:35 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx
Thank you, Baseman for another great video. That is food for thought for sure. You obviously had so many birds flying around that bait was not necessary. I was just suggesting it as something that might work for someone who was trying to get videos of birds where they were not so plentiful. Actually, it started out as a joke about meal service, and then it occurred to me that it might actually work.

It is amazing that something that big could be flown in such a small space. I found it interesting that they ended up putting a rudder on it, even though it goes down instead of up. I'm sure they would have rather left it off, just for looks, but it must have been necessary.
I actually do think that it would work to feed them. At least to get them in your area in a group... or flock! .... (Flock of hawks..... doesn't sound right) Then follow them around. I found that a few will often follow me. That is why I mount my Camera backwards now. Actually that video was the first time I did so. At first I thought the tail was too much in the way, then I figured it gave perspective.

That robotic bird amazed me how maneurverable it was to be flown indoors. I bet they had alot of practice during testing!

Calla969... I definately reccomend spoilers. There are several posts in this thread showing how to do it! I have considered doing it also. consider making them a little bigger than some others to bring is down a little faster. Maybe put them on a flap dial on your radio if you have one so you can control how high they come up.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2012, 04:47 PM
Newber in Old Body

Best so Far

New to the Radian . I have a Eagle Tree Standalone Altitde MicroSensor.
Hit pay dirt on Thermal http://youtu.be/mffeQ0gtWFQ
May 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
there is always the hand catch.
May 09, 2012, 07:33 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
Name: Radian tail flex when hand caught.png
Views: 223
Size: 217.1 KB
Description: pic of tail and fuse flex during a hand catch before I stiffened up fuse with carbon rod I caught plane at left wing root..
May 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger
pic of tail and fuse flex during a hand catch before I stiffened up fuse with carbon rod I caught plane at left wing root..
There are those who might suspect this picture is due to lens distortion or is a deliberate Photoshop trick. I believe it is real. After stiffening up the tail of my plane the difference was astounding. This might not be a $2000 dollar sailplane, but with a little work, it can be made to imitate one quite well.
May 09, 2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdearinger
Attachment 4848890pic of tail and fuse flex during a hand catch before I stiffened up fuse with carbon rod I caught plane at left wing root..
I saw this video before I started hand catching my radian so I pull up elevator and catch it underneath.I'm still getting used to catching and if I feel it's coming in a little too fast or a little to high I'll bring it around again.
May 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
There are those who might suspect this picture is due to lens distortion or is a deliberate Photoshop trick. I believe it is real.
Scott is not prone to BS.... so although the effect may be slightly accentuated by the lens, the flex would be very real!!!
May 10, 2012, 07:14 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Imagine what that flex must be doing to the servos. Outchhh!! The carbon rod in the fuse worked for me, as it did for Scott.
May 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
Rocket geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Basically you want to land by circling down rather than on a long approach. Can be done but it takes practice.
+1. Just pretend you're trying to circle in a really tight thermal and ride it down that way almost all the way to the ground. Or even go all the way to the ground if you have a soft grassy landing area and don't mind a wingtip pirouette.
May 10, 2012, 05:04 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
There are those who might suspect this picture is due to lens distortion or is a deliberate Photoshop trick. I believe it is real. After stiffening up the tail of my plane the difference was astounding. This might not be a $2000 dollar sailplane, but with a little work, it can be made to imitate one quite well.
I was there and also watched the vids and there is no way it was photo shopped.
If you look at our "his" other vids after he crashed you can see the carbon fiber rod he installed and according to Scott it has greatly improved his response and tail stiffness.
May 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink
Scott is not prone to BS.... so although the effect may be slightly accentuated by the lens, the flex would be very real!!!
Give him a couple of BEERS and it starts flying
May 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
May 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active
There's no way that Rad has the stock motor . .

Sean.

May 10, 2012, 06:01 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
May 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie
There's no way that Rad has the stock motor . .

Sean.

my Radian with the stock motor and battery but with the prop changed out to an 11x8 has vertical performance like that. No way am I that good on the sticks though. I can go straight up to 200 meters (CAM limited cutoff) in just over 20 seconds which is faster than many of the unlimited ships I've flown against. Before changing the prop I could not maintain vertical flight and it would take 28-30 seconds to get to 200 meters

Quick Reply