New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
rbrown3rd is offline
Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Addicted to flight since 1944
rbrown3rd's Avatar
I keep some large wing rubber bands in my pocket when I fly. I always keep one wrapped around the throttle stick and the transmitter body to prevent an accidental spin of the prop. To me those Aeronaut blades look like spinning surgical scalpels. When I am ready to go, transmitter on, control checks, range checks, etc., then I remove the rubber band for flying. As soon as I land I replace the rubber band on the throttle stick. I use a Spektrum DX6i. My HiTec transmitter has a throttle lock button on it.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:16 PM
kaptondave is offline
Find More Posts by kaptondave
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
I find I accidentally bump the stick quite often, so leave my Tx off until I'm ready to turn the prop. Other people are more comfortable the other way.
I did that just once. Since then I use an elastic band to safe the throttle stick when not intentionally running the motor, so have never had that problem.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
kunclebuc is offline
Find More Posts by kunclebuc
Registered User
kunclebuc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
Has anyone done any measurements to determine what the average power off consumption is of the Radian is? In other words, a rate that can be applied to a certain sized battery to determine potential safe length of soaring flight. I guess that is a long way of asking how long you can safely soar with a certain sized battery, say a 1300 mah. I have flown up to 45 minutes and start getting nervous about draining the battery all the way down.
I have done a 30min flight after a 10 sec motor run. Only had to put back 138mah into an 1800mah pack. Running RX and 2 servos you will use about 100 to 125mah an hour. As others have said it all depends on the motor run and how much you use your servos.

Kevin
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:57 PM
Mcdyvie is offline
Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Registered User
Mcdyvie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
To each his own. I'm just encouraging people to think about how their system works and decide for themselves whether the risk of prop strike from a bumped stick is higher than the risk of a radio/ESC malfunction. I find I accidentally bump the stick quite often, so leave my Tx off until I'm ready to turn the prop. Other people are more comfortable the other way.
Turn on TX. Set a couple meters away. Plug in battery on plane. Bumping stick problem solved...

No one says you gotta hold the TX in your hand while you fumble with the battery on the plane
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hance is offline
Find More Posts by Hance
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdyvie View Post
Turn on TX. Set a couple meters away. Plug in battery on plane. Bumping stick problem solved...

No one says you gotta hold the TX in your hand while you fumble with the battery on the plane
Thats how I do it on my electrics and nitro birds.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:53 PM
Raften is offline
Find More Posts by Raften
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
I did that just once. Since then I use an elastic band to safe the throttle stick when not intentionally running the motor, so have never had that problem.
Same way I do it, did have a accident that promped the elastic band. I have bumped it on while moving just a few feet to get a better launch area. The Tx dangling catches the knob on clothes. Works for me because the last time I bumped it on I had to use some nylon thread to close up.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
Carl Petersen is offline
Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Registered User
Carl Petersen's Avatar
Helis have a nice feature call throttle hold(TH) usually activated by a switch. For airplanes I use a mix and create a similar function on the same switch. If TH is on then it doesn't matter what you do with the throttle stick the motor cannot turn on.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:05 PM
tclaridge is offline
Find More Posts by tclaridge
Registered User
I ALWAYS use a throttle hold like Carl mentioned. On some radios the throttle hold is available in airplane mode. On other radios I use a THRO-->THRO mix. It works like an ignition switch so the motor can't run when the switch is off. Then bumping the throttle stick won't make the prop turn accidentally.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:48 PM
aeajr is offline
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
Has anyone done any measurements to determine what the average power off consumption is of the Radian is? In other words, a rate that can be applied to a certain sized battery to determine potential safe length of soaring flight. I guess that is a long way of asking how long you can safely soar with a certain sized battery, say a 1300 mah. I have flown up to 45 minutes and start getting nervous about draining the battery all the way down.
30 second motor run at 18 amps is about 170 mah

Servos and receiver alone will draw perhpas 200 mah per hour when soaring.

that is about 5 hours on a 1300 mah pack. So if you don't run more than 4 hours on a single climb you should be very safe.

Might be hard when thermal soaring but 4 hours is very possible on the slope, if YOU have the duration.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hance is offline
Find More Posts by Hance
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
aeajr I agree on the duration part completely. I have done an hour a few times and thats about all I can take at a stretch. I could have stayed up quite a bit longer but my neck couldn't take it anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:15 PM
Carl Petersen is offline
Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Registered User
Carl Petersen's Avatar
Today I experienced the dreaded radian dive to oblivion. I instantly thought of AR500 lockout and mysterious elevator blanking being the root of this evil.

Turns out the elevator control rod keeper on the horn loosened up and got stuck in full down. What was that about adequate preflight checks?...

Thank God for gorilla glue.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:21 PM
skyhawk newbie is offline
Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Not a newbie anymore..
skyhawk newbie's Avatar
Just wondering ..
is there a Firewall mod that can be done to stop the holes (that the screws go through to the motor) from spider web cracking....


..
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:03 PM
rbrown3rd is offline
Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Addicted to flight since 1944
rbrown3rd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
30 second motor run at 18 amps is about 170 mah

Servos and receiver alone will draw perhpas 200 mah per hour when soaring.

that is about 5 hours on a 1300 mah pack. So if you don't run more than 4 hours on a single climb you should be very safe.

Might be hard when thermal soaring but 4 hours is very possible on the slope, if YOU have the duration.
Thanks guys for the info. I have to agree with you that after 30 minutes or so I start getting a sore neck. I just wanted to get an idea of how much of a buffer I had. I have flown days with no lift, climb, glide, climb, glide and have come home only to have expended about half my pack. I need to pay more attention to the numbers but I usually only do a couple of ALES launches in a session at the most. So, good to know that if I get lift I will give out before my battery does.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
Raften is offline
Find More Posts by Raften
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Just wondering ..
is there a Firewall mod that can be done to stop the holes (that the screws go through to the motor) from spider leg cracking....


..
I haven't encountered the spider web effect but have broken two firewalls so I just keep one around for a spare. Cheap. Did you by chance use a thread lock compound on the screws?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
aeajr is offline
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
Thanks guys for the info. I have to agree with you that after 30 minutes or so I start getting a sore neck. I just wanted to get an idea of how much of a buffer I had. I have flown days with no lift, climb, glide, climb, glide and have come home only to have expended about half my pack. I need to pay more attention to the numbers but I usually only do a couple of ALES launches in a session at the most. So, good to know that if I get lift I will give out before my battery does.
I have run my Easy Glider to the LV cutoff, then thermaled for 30 minute with complete confidence. While you will get a big voltage drop under motor the voltage pops right back up when the motor cuts off and the low, slow draw of the receiver/servos hardly strains the pack even when it won't handle full power motor climbs.