Oct 26, 2020, 10:49 AM
KB8ALT
I put a wrap or two of electrical tape on the wing rod about 3 or 4Ē from each end to make the wing rod tight.
Works great for me.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana Karl
You have received a great gift! Yes, the wings are a friction fit. If you feel the wing fit isnít ďtightĒ enough you can always tighten it up by using wet heat.
You will need a moderately sized pot. Fill it up half way and bring it to boil. You now take the wing root and hold in the steam. It may take several tries to get the foam to return to itís original shape

Thanks much for the confirmation. The fit is pretty tight, so I will not have to swell the foam using steam. Take care, Ron
Oct 26, 2020, 12:17 PM
Thanks ace1flyer for the suggestion - good idea!
Oct 26, 2020, 12:18 PM
Thanks r39o for the suggestion - much appreciated!
Nov 15, 2020, 04:34 AM

Radian Gopro/action cam mount

Thought I'd share this - may be of use to someone

I have been thinking about a removeable action camera mount - I have a GoPro Session and a Chinese cheapie.

I had a spare canopy and was wondering how to do it - while keeping it as close to the CofG as possible.

I came across a mount in my bundle of things which had 2 parts screwed together and it looked like it would work very nicely...

I carefully marked and drilled the holes around the rear magnet on the canopy and simply screwed the mount on. The magnet has now been glued back in.

Now I have a canopy with a mount as well as my regular canopy with no mount. I will put on a velcro strap for security.... Can put it on either Radian or Radian Pro
Nov 15, 2020, 07:55 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thats pretty sweet. Adding the velcro straps is a good idea!

I can tell you from experience that the magnet alone won't be able to hold that hatch in place with the camera installed! I did something vaguely similar with a RuncamHD. Although, mine was velcroed in place. I ended up using rubber bands.

One of my winter projects is coming up with a way to add FPV to my Radian. I have all the necessary components. But I just need a way to mount them. Especially the camera and flight controller.
Nov 15, 2020, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tpeg

I have been thinking about a removeable action camera mount - I have a GoPro Session and a Chinese cheapie.

I had a spare canopy and was wondering how to do it - while keeping it as close to the CofG as possible.

I came across a mount in my bundle of things which had 2 parts screwed together and it looked like it would work very nicely...

I carefully marked and drilled the holes around the rear magnet on the canopy and simply screwed the mount on. The magnet has now been glued back in.

Now I have a canopy with a mount as well as my regular canopy with no mount. I will put on a velcro strap for security.... Can put it on either Radian or Radian Pro
Wondering why you'd mount that onto the canopy and not on the wing saddle? Can't see that setup surviving too many landings,not to mention the amount of up trim you're going to have to use, to keep the glider from taking a nosedive.
Nov 15, 2020, 11:41 AM
BMFA 190658
I bet it needs down trim to offset the drag...
Nov 16, 2020, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tpeg

That looks exciting, please let us know how it all works out.
By the way, whatīs going on in your wing mount? My (Parkzone) Radian doesnīt look like that.
Nov 16, 2020, 03:43 AM
@ 10tpeg
Oh wait, maybe yours is the E-flite version with an improved wing mount with the screw?
Nov 16, 2020, 06:35 AM
BMFA 190658
The pic is a Radian Pro!
Nov 16, 2020, 12:43 PM
Old newb
Or a flapped Radian.....

Better FPV choice imho.
Nov 16, 2020, 01:17 PM
BMFA 190658
It is a Pro, I saw the post in the other thread
Nov 17, 2020, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
It is a Pro, I saw the post in the other thread
yes itís a Pro. I have both, and posted in both owners threads because the canopies are interchangeable.

Weíve had lousy flying weather since Saturday so Iíve not had a chance to try it out yet. Iím going to try on the Radian and the Pro and will report back. Iím going to take extensions to be able to shift the camera back a bit if the CofG is way out but I donít think so. I mounted a previous GoPro immediately behind the canopy and it was fine with a bit of trimming.

To respond to a previous comment I am doing the mount this way because I donít want a permanent mount. I will fly clean most of the time with a normal canopy. This is just for a bit of fun! I am not expecting super glide performance with the camera canopy on!

And I will fly VERY gently with the camera on. Landing wonít be a problem at our awesome grass field.
Nov 17, 2020, 08:25 PM
I wanted to do this , for a while now ; put a set of 2M Radian wings, on my Phoenix 2000-v1.

Diced off 1" on the root of each Radian wing , and made a center extension of 12" ; for
a 10" total extra span , (so now i call it a 2.25M Radian ), and it flies Great !!!
The fuselage is shorter on the P2K, so i added a bit extra Rudder, and Elevator
to the stock size of the Radian.

Now i got a Huge wind range, i can fly in ; The stock Phoenix 2000 , go-fast wings , with
ailerons, and flapps, and the Extra slow Radian 2.25M wings. It is quite easy to fly now ; thermals
really tight turns, without any tip-stall tendencies what so ever !

Hope i don't take out the Phoenix 2000 fuse in a crash ; they don't make
it any more.

Bille

Quick Reply