Sep 29, 2016, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
great details. thank you.
an idea of how thick the tow was before the cya?
I really don't know how to answer you.
I used some prepreg for the first hub that I reinforced and that's very thin. Prepreg is no longer available.
I would guess that the tow was about the thickness of a few layers of paper.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2016, 06:32 AM

good

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher
I really don't know how to answer you.
I used some prepreg for the first hub that I reinforced and that's very thin. Prepreg is no longer available.
I would guess that the tow was about the thickness of a few layers of paper.
thanks. that is good enough.

i asked because as i have been using cf that comes as weave (like cloth with layers at 90 degrees) i have got strips that come loose at the edges, and have been considering using them for this purpose, as they seem to me as the ideal material for the purpose. the good thing is that they come with the grain oriented in 1 direction, and remain together, are easier to handle, which is not the case with tow.
will try them and tell.
thanks again.
Oct 09, 2016, 12:10 PM
For those who want another alternative to the stock props and hubs, Hobbyking sells an 50mm Alloy Folding Propeller Spinner with 4mm, 5mm & 6mm Shaft adapters and a set of TGS 10x6 folding props that work for the Radian. You would not believe how quiet this setup is, compared to the stock hub.
The downside is the weight. This setup is just over an ounce (30 gms) heavier than stock.
Others have posted lighter alternatives.
Last edited by John Gallagher; Jun 12, 2019 at 09:18 PM.
Oct 10, 2016, 09:44 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
So I attached a GoPro to my radian, the 2m BNF version. Made a lightweight balsa and foam cushion mount to go on the fuse above the wings right at the CG point. Didnt want to do the cutting into the fuse mod because I'll be taking off the mount later on.

I went from an average of 45minute flight times to 5-15 minutes depending on wind conditions, with the GoPro mounted. Not happy about this. The footage turned out great though. Obviously the extra weight and drag is forcing me to use more power. How do you guys get around this problem? Has anyone attempted to add winglets to the GoPro casing to give it a little lift to help with the weight?
Oct 10, 2016, 10:04 AM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
So I attached a GoPro to my radian, ...

How do you guys get around this problem? ...
I use a Mobius cam, much smaller front cross section and lighter, maybe less picture quality, but fine for me.
Oct 10, 2016, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
So I attached a GoPro to my radian, the 2m BNF version. Made a lightweight balsa and foam cushion mount to go on the fuse above the wings right at the CG point. Didnt want to do the cutting into the fuse mod because I'll be taking off the mount later on.

I went from an average of 45minute flight times to 5-15 minutes depending on wind conditions, with the GoPro mounted. Not happy about this. The footage turned out great though. Obviously the extra weight and drag is forcing me to use more power. How do you guys get around this problem? Has anyone attempted to add winglets to the GoPro casing to give it a little lift to help with the weight?
Probably no way to get around it other than finding some good thermals or flying at a slope soaring site.
Oct 10, 2016, 02:55 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
I had a SJ4000 mounted on one of my gliders and it just caused too much turbulence so 1 flight was enough.
I now use my Raptor twin for video instead.
Oct 10, 2016, 03:09 PM
Suspended Account
I use my Mobius on my Radian without any issues and for some reason I swear my Radian flies better with the Mobius attached to it.
Dec 30, 2016, 08:54 PM
How do you attach it to your Radian?
Dec 31, 2016, 01:00 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
How do you attach it to your Radian?
Velcro and one of these camera mounts on the left.
Dec 31, 2016, 09:14 PM
My Radian arrived today! I have been reading this thread but I am only up to page 825! So I thought I would jump to the end and ask two questions.

1. Are there any mods I should make since I am just starting to assemble the plane? Because of the weather and my schedule I will not be able to make the maiden flight until Friday at the earliest. So I have time to do any mods that are recommended.

2. What do people feel about putting the rudder on the right stick? I flew a friend's Radian last weekend and he has the rudder on the right stick.

Thanks!
Dec 31, 2016, 09:23 PM
Sokol
check that the movement is smooth on the servos and push rods.

I would put heavy duty scotch packing tape along the wing's leading edge.

Yes the rudder on the right stick, or otherwise , using a mix, on both left and right !

Check the CG.

do a few un-powered glide tests to do a preliminary trim ( on a plush lawn or sports field)

don't hand launch at more than 3/4 throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemcr
My Radian arrived today! I have been reading this thread but I am only up to page 825! So I thought I would jump to the end and ask two questions.

1. Are there any mods I should make since I am just starting to assemble the plane? Because of the weather and my schedule I will not be able to make the maiden flight until Friday at the earliest. So I have time to do any mods that are recommended.

2. What do people feel about putting the rudder on the right stick? I flew a friend's Radian last weekend and he has the rudder on the right stick.

Thanks!
Jan 01, 2017, 07:38 AM
Check radiocarbonart.com . Paul Naton has a lengthy video on mods/improvements to the Radian.
Jan 01, 2017, 09:07 AM
Quote:

Maybe this helps? I fly my Radian with GoPro and Mobius all the time and although performance is affected it still thermals very nicely on good days. Depending on conditions I use 1300-1800 3S batteries and everything is stock.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ro4-and-Mobius
Jan 01, 2017, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
check that the movement is smooth on the servos and push rods.

I would put heavy duty scotch packing tape along the wing's leading edge.

Yes the rudder on the right stick, or otherwise , using a mix, on both left and right !

Check the CG.

do a few un-powered glide tests to do a preliminary trim ( on a plush lawn or sports field)

don't hand launch at more than 3/4 throttle.
Thank You!

Quick Reply