Dec 31, 2008, 05:36 PM
Electric since 1990
As soon as I get her built I will.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2008, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Scott,

Any update on whether or not you will be offering the Transporter decals? I need to order a set for mine very soon and need to know if these will be offered. Otherwise I'll just get the Guard decals.

Pat
We will offer the Transport decals, hopefully within a week or two. The holidays have kind of put the brakes on some things.

I am building another Polaris to use for a test fit of the Transport decals. I just couldn't stand for pulling the USGC decals off Polaris #1. So now I'll have two.

Hoppy - I'll try the "Polaris Pirouette" next time out!

Have a Safe and Happy New Year guys,

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Dec 31, 2008, 06:33 PM
Foam abuser!
Sounds good Scott, thanks!

Pat
Jan 01, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hoppy

Do you thin the polycrylic for spraying or just use it straight out of the can? Thanks

Frenchy
Jan 01, 2009, 02:09 PM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy520
Hoppy

Do you thin the polycrylic for spraying or just use it straight out of the can? Thanks

Frenchy
You can just brush it on as it's so thin (at least mine was) that it flowed out brush mark free. I think I also sprayed it stright from the can.
Jan 01, 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

Frenchy
Jan 01, 2009, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by galloping ghost
OK, we are having way too much fun with the Polaris and this little video camera. I have flown the Polaris in just about every weather condition possible!

Warm sunny weather, cold and snowy, ice, wet cold grass (today) It never fails to impress. Just a great flying plane. Thanks Steve!

Today, there were some pretty severe wind gusts coming in over the treeline in the video. A lot of turbulence that made the video kind of shaky. But we got her home safe and sound after a couple flights.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Could I get some info on the Fly cam you are using on your Polaris?

HC
Jan 01, 2009, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy camper
Could I get some info on the Fly cam you are using on your Polaris?

HC
HC, here's a link to the camera. We have a few of these coming in a week or so and are taking pre-orders.

I have been having a blast with this camera! I do not have much experience with onboard video but I can tell you it puts the FlyCamOne 2 to shame for a lot less money. Plus it doubles as a flash drive for your computer, and a web cam with the addition of a free driver.

AeroCam Lite DVR

Note: There are others selling a similar cam with half the resolution. This one has 640 x 480 resolution at 20 fps.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Jan 01, 2009, 09:11 PM
I will be an angry old man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by galloping ghost
HC, here's a link to the camera. We have a few of these coming in a week or so and are taking pre-orders.

www.ModelAero.com
Scott, where is the lens on the camera? Is it tiltable?
Jan 01, 2009, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1
Scott, where is the lens on the camera? Is it tiltable?
The lens is on the back, just above the belt clip. The lens is not tiltable. I was very skeptical when I first saw this camera. The lens is very small. But after taking some video with it I was most impressed.

I had no intention of getting into video, but this thing is cool and pretty cheap! It is totally self contained with no software required. Just shoot video and play! Nothing else to buy.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Jan 01, 2009, 09:47 PM
I will be an angry old man!
When you have a chance, can you show a picture of how it was mounted on the plane?
Jan 01, 2009, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc1
When you have a chance, can you show a picture of how it was mounted on the plane?
Here's how I mounted it. I built a little Depron box, then wrapped the cam in foam and stuck it in the box.

The box itself is hot melt glued to the wing. I put a piece of masking tape on the bottom of the camera box and the wing. This way it can be removed with no damage. The camera can be placed in the box in any direction.

It seems to work best with the box mounted solid to the plane, then the camera isolated with foam.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Jan 01, 2009, 11:38 PM
BEC
BEC
Interesting camera and very interesting that sticking that on the airplane that way didn't seem to perturb it. Interesting indeed.....
Jan 02, 2009, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Interesting camera and very interesting that sticking that on the airplane that way didn't seem to perturb it. Interesting indeed.....
Keep in mind the entire camera set-up including mount is less than an ounce. The Polaris flew just as well with it as without.

Next I'll move it out on the wing facing the fuse.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Jan 02, 2009, 03:21 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Great looking camera, Scott. I, too, am surprised that having that box sticking out on the side like that didn't have a noticeable impact on performance or handing, but maybe it's just in the noise. I bet that dirty air going in the prop made a different sound, though!

You probably already thought of this, but I'd consider simply cutting a square hole on the centerline of the fuselage just behind the hatch, with just the lens of the camera sticking out (still surrounded by soft foam). That way most of the camera would be internal and you could still rotate it 90 degrees in any direction. I quickly drew it up in CAD, and of course it fits easily. You'd have to cut a matching square hole in the front of the wing on the centerline, as well.

Steve

Quick Reply