Sep 13, 2008, 12:20 AM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Steve

Great vid showing how this baby flies! thanks for the plans too.

I'm not familiar with depron sheet sizes, it looks like 15X30" is how it comes? Did you have to join two sheets together to make the wing? Also are the cf rod and thin ply stringers inlet into the foam?

Paul
White Depron comes in 27"x39" sheets. I used one and a quarter full sheets to build this model. If you don't have access to full sheets (many folks buy the half sheets to save shipping costs), yes, you'll have to splice together two sheets to make the wing. Easy to do, though. Just make sure to include some tabs and slots in the joint to give it stength (rather than a simple butt joint, which is not very strong).

And yes, the cf rod and ply are inset into the foam. For the rod, cut a slot that's slightly narrower than the rod you want to use and press the foam in slightly at the edges before glueing in. For the ply, just slit the foam with a knife, put epoxy on the ply, and slide it in. Very easy. Also apply a thin film of epoxy on the top and bottom of the ply spar to seal it from water and provide more strength.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
Steve, it looks like you have another winner there. I have always liked your designs and now I have to add this on to my build list. I will have it ready for next year at my parents cabin in Minnesota. Thanks again for the plans.

Brian
Sep 13, 2008, 11:57 AM
The foam is being cut, how can I resist! I have flown Laddie's designs for years. I have had 2 northstars, 1 Laker, 2 Force one's, 1 Enforcer(now 14years old) and a Easy 200 bipe! Now Steve , you come along with a great looking depron job and here I am as if I REALLY needed another plane. Parts will be done shortly Assembly to follow! I think I will use a CF strip rather than the ply spars, they worked great on my 120% F-5
Sep 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Sounds great, Dudley! Yes, I think CF strip will work better than ply for the spars. I just used what I happened to have available in my shop...
Sep 13, 2008, 01:29 PM
Retired CAD guy
If you are ordering Depron from rcfoam.com , they have CF now.
It's good to get some when ordering foam too.
Sep 13, 2008, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt b
HELP PLEASE:
I need a sorce for blue foam or 6 mm. depron within 30 miles of Puyallop washington.
I tryed all the Lowes stores in the area and Lumbermens Building supplys.
thanks
Walt
Walt; Blue core is sold in the West, try a local lumber yard that buys from the Boise Co. formerly Boise Cascade. I buy mine from the local lumber yard. Lloyds Lumber Nampa ID. I buy a 50 foot bundle for 38$. They dont sell by the sheet.
Your local yard can order it from Boise for you, at least mine does. Not a stocked item here. But I get the bundle the next day. Hope this helps.
Sep 14, 2008, 12:01 AM
Foam abuser!
Got all my parts cut out today. Now where did I put that 3M 77?

Pat
Sep 14, 2008, 06:33 AM
Dr John
Subscribing
Sep 14, 2008, 09:52 AM
Crash & Burn
This may seem like a dumb question, but on the tiled plans, where do I cut in order to match up the lines? Do I just overlap the ends so the lines match up or what? Normally I'd go to Kinkos and have them print out the full sized plans, but by the time I got there last night, they were closed and they're closed today too.
Sep 14, 2008, 10:24 AM
Foam abuser!
What I do on parts that need to be matched up between sheets is cut out the smaller piece first and trim off the 1/4" boundry line, then tape it to the larger piece that still has the boundry line on it, and match it up with the drawing lines as well.

For the pieces that are all large (like the wing for example), I just cut the boundry off one page and match it to the other. Since you will be sanding most edges round anyway, the cuts don't have to be absolutely perfect.

Pat
Sep 14, 2008, 10:41 AM
I picked up some 3 mm depron at the LHS
I will laminate two sheets with 3M 77 for 6mm
Thanks all for the help
Now off to the shop
Walt
Sep 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
Here is mine so far, this is not a beginner build by any means
I have to redo the engine pod as I glued the bottom edge onto the top, grrr
Last edited by jnida63; Sep 14, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
Sep 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
Mine is underway as well. 6mm depron
Sep 14, 2008, 10:10 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Really nice... This one is going to the top of my to build list. Thanks Jetset44 for the plans and the great build log. I love that little plane.

Larry
Sep 14, 2008, 10:24 PM
I know that this plane weighs about 20oz, but was wondering if there is a power combo that would fly it off water, keeping the speed below 70 mph, and the amps lower-- around 15 amps?

Will it ROW at less than full throttle?

{aul

Quick Reply