Jun 24, 2020, 10:43 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by van3st
I also use seperate servos for each wing and I use them in an elevon-mix, so in the case, the elevator servo fails, I still can bring it in safe this way. It worked out well a few times. If i lose a servo it is nearly always the elvator one, but donīt ask me why.
Funny that near always its my rudder one !

My wing ones are not sealed or anything ... but they keep on working
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2020, 08:00 AM
Mk9
Mk9
When my elevator servo finally failed in a vertical dive (and I lacked the presence of mind to switch to coupled mode and use elevon), I traced it back to corrosion in the extension cable to servo plug. That's a long lead for that servo. So this time I will solder the leads, not rely on a servo connector in the bilge.
Jun 29, 2020, 09:56 AM
watch your head
Well, soldering the lead is a good idea.
I use the elevonmix permanently, so if the elevator fails i realize it by having about half authority left. So i donīt care about switching to the "rescuemode".
Jun 29, 2020, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk9
When my elevator servo finally failed in a vertical dive (and I lacked the presence of mind to switch to coupled mode and use elevon), I traced it back to corrosion in the extension cable to servo plug. That's a long lead for that servo. So this time I will solder the leads, not rely on a servo connector in the bilge.
I don't have any wires or leads in the lower section of fuselage ... all mine are in the top section other than the aileron wires buried in channels in each wing.
Jul 02, 2020, 06:35 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by van3st
Well, soldering the lead is a good idea.
I use the elevonmix permanently, so if the elevator fails i realize it by having about half authority left. So i donīt care about switching to the "rescuemode".
When I want coupled mode, I want massive authority (loops in 1 fuze length ) and my flying skills never quite got to grips with the finesse needed to balance that extreme authority with reliable landings - a botched spot landing attempt (belly flop) resulting in a stalled, over-flared Polaris with coupled authority, a meter above our very shallow seasonal lake is a scary thing. I was getting better at leaving the 'scary' mix in all the time, but extra throw does compound the errors.

You will get water inside the hull regularly - both top and bottom, so top and bottom aren't really that different in my view - in fact, my ex-Polaris has more corrosion on the top of the servos (mounted upright through the wing) than the bottom, and the wing mounted servos have less evidence of corrosion on the bottom than the elevator servo does! I didn't use torque rods though. That would suggest water ingress through the hatch is more likely than water ingress through control rod holes, and even the wiring feed-throughs in the bilge. I did install a very big and quite leaky hatch towards the end though. [EDIT: looking at that pic made me realise I must have smeared silicone over the base of the wing mounted servos, perhaps *THAT* was a sensible thing to do!]

Access to the back area of this plane is major surgery, so I reckon anything that makes sure you never have to go in there again is worth doing, so solder and heatshrink, and silicone around the heatshrink, will be in my rebuild. Oh, and I'm not trying to convince anyone, just state my reasons behind doing it my way so other people can make up their own minds about what suits them.
Last edited by Mk9; Jul 02, 2020 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Just noticed the silicone!
Jul 02, 2020, 11:00 AM
I know I've shown these before but I think worth it for anyone new to Polaris ...

To avoid having to dig into the fin to change motor / servos etc. - I have led cables external faired in with tape ...

The fin being of 3 layers ... the plans channels are not cut - so you have solid 3 layers ... with central layer a few mm shorter on front edge to create a channel for cables to sit in.

Elevator and rudder servos mounted external as well ...

Aileron servos mounted as split into wings ...

The fin is supported on an enlarged ply plate :

Jul 04, 2020, 03:10 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
I've got the major components complete and most assembly in place on the actual kit built version. . Putting the ailerons servos up top and the rudder as well. I don't like things where water can get to them especially in Fl where this one will spend some time at the lake as well as Tampa Bay. Didn't realize I posted a small pic, If you'd like it bigger, Ctrl and + key, - key to go back
Jul 09, 2020, 02:43 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Been a long time since I've been on RCG and this thread. I have access to calm lake waters again so want to get back into seaplanes and Polaris is my fav. The Ultra is the only Polaris left that is almost ready to fly again. Need a new canopy and a 60A esc and it will be ready to float.
The A5 (reg and small) are ok but both underpowered and finicky.

Is anyone doing Depron kits anymore now that Scott closed up shop?

Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on!!!

Allen
Jul 09, 2020, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon
Been a long time since I've been on RCG and this thread. I have access to calm lake waters again so want to get back into seaplanes and Polaris is my fav. The Ultra is the only Polaris left that is almost ready to fly again. Need a new canopy and a 60A esc and it will be ready to float.
The A5 (reg and small) are ok but both underpowered and finicky.

Is anyone doing Depron kits anymore now that Scott closed up shop?

Looks like I have a lot of reading to catch up on!!!

Allen
See the following post:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=28638
Jul 25, 2020, 08:48 AM
Mk9
Mk9
My Mk2 construction is around half way through now. My son managed to get his into an inverted spin which our club videographer got on video. Worth watching for the landing - he's really getting rather good at them.
Awesome plane design, truly!
Polaris inverted spin (2 min 25 sec)
Jul 25, 2020, 10:28 AM
mmm 'Mk9' ....... I think that's being optomistic calling that an inverted spin ... she flips to inverted but then tries to flip back as all before - but he's put the nose down to create a vertical spiral .....

Kudo's for trying though - braver than me !! Each time I've gone near inverted ended up lawn darting.
Jul 25, 2020, 06:09 PM
Retired CAD guy
MK9, Good on ya !

That's enough of a spin to carve a Notch Somewhere ! ;>}

I suppose they all look the same , but , is that Gnangara lake ?

That bloody mud is tough to get used to !
Jul 26, 2020, 08:21 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
MK9, Good on ya !

That's enough of a spin to carve a Notch Somewhere ! ;>}

I suppose they all look the same , but , is that Gnangara lake ?

That bloody mud is tough to get used to !
Yes good eyes! That is Lake Gnangara - the trick with the mud is to avoid it - sets like cement! Once it fills up in winter it's not too bad: the shoreline is nice and sandy.

Fair cop about it being marginal on inverted...it can definitely be done though. This is a much older video done on my rubbish phone camera:
RC Polaris Inverted Spin and Crash (2 min 40 sec)

The actual spin is hard to catch, but the earlier ones all clearly show an orange plane (underside) where the inverted spin (@ 1:14) shows a black plane. Hard to tell, but I reckon mine was flatter. I wonder if the CoG makes a difference, though I doubt they are very different. Mine was heavier, so would have a higher wing loading. We will be trying again don't worry!
Jul 26, 2020, 08:33 AM
There are two factors that fight inverted on the Polaris ...

The alignment of motor and the weight distribution.

The motor is designed in to complement upright flight and also to counter the height above the main body.
The weight itself is set in the body with the motor in opposition.

Many people have found that only way to get inverted flight is to have massive DOWN elevator movement to fight the above two factors. The normal control movements will not allow inverted level flight or outside loops ....
Jul 26, 2020, 09:54 AM
Mk9
Mk9
That's interesting - I found mine flew fine inverted (and I'm a very average pilot) - but that probably would have been in coupled mode. It would loop in two fuselage lengths it had that much ele authority

Next trip out, I'll get my son to try, he now flies far better than I ever will of course!

Quick Reply