Aug 31, 2019, 01:16 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
I've printed up a couple of planes ... P51 and FW90 ..... and found them heavy ...

Is the PLAris going to be heavy ??

Must admit I am interested in the motor nacelle stl file !!
Ditto on both. I think 3D printing works best when added as a new option for building fiddly/awkward things. And for printing disposable parts where high failure rates are inevitable. We did a 3D Labprint P-38, and I love it to bits, but I'd be a whole lot more confident throwing it around if it had been designed around a CF spar! Depron is an amazingly light and strong material and I'm sure it's the high power:weight and low wingloading that makes a Polaris so epic. A heavy tail is going to be a problem I think. Have you considered designing the tail section to mate to a Depron fuze and wing? And are you doing an all flying horizontal stab on a CF tube? 3D printing could make that a drop in and play option with the pivot tube, servo mount, wire conduits and fin all in one...

And don't forget PLA isn't really waterproof without a sealer. At least not in our experience.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2019, 08:20 AM
Sorry for my late reply, came just back from hospital with six more screws- not forseen in the original plan -in the spline...

Well, mixing the flexing depron with stiff ABS is not what I am really considering. It would be no problem at all to design a coupler to do so, but I doubt it will be useful.
The PLAris is not designed for water any more, grass and snow operation only. Being four days in hospital I had enough time to investigate in resin. I think this could be the solution, the only question is how thin the walls could be practically printed. If skin could be printed in 0.25 to 0.3 mm and internal web in 0.4 mm the challenge is won.
Any other property of resin is better than PLA. (Glueing , temperatur, unidirectional strength, density ....)
Sep 16, 2019, 03:03 AM

five years old

my old polaris with graphene 3S 1300 mAh 45C (3 min 28 sec)
Sep 18, 2019, 02:26 AM

polaris XL OSD tarot TL2

speed max 99 km/h
POLARIS XL 4S 2200 mAh 35 C FPV eachine MC04 (3 min 2 sec)
Oct 08, 2019, 08:08 AM
Look out for the mothership

NorthStar and 'family' photo

A NorthStar flying recently at our lake. The owner-pilot originally built this in the early 90s.
At the end of the video I have a 'family' photo of this plane alongside a Polaris, Dragonfly and Skipper.

NorthStar RC seaplane (2 min 39 sec)
Today, 10:22 AM
Nicholas Jacobs

Laddie and his Northstar

Hi Guys,

Here's some pics of Laddie and his original plane. It flew this summer, sorry I didn't get video of it.

Laddie is a member of the Burlington Radio Control Modeler's club, Burlington, Ontario, Canada. http://brcm.org

Cheers
Nicholas
Today, 10:46 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I must say I like the 'extended' sponsons on the Northstar ....
Today, 04:47 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
For those who experiment, there are plans for the North Star and the Arrow on OZ>
Today, 06:10 PM
Retired CAD guy
Dave thanx for links.

I still have my original plans ... somewhere.
My 1st Nstar was from the Late 80's when Laddie's article was in RCM.

wheew ... time really flys !

Quick Reply