May 23, 2019, 05:55 PM
The PolXL120% is flying very nicely. Which prop are you using and how many Amps at WOT? Danato
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2019, 07:17 PM
гидроплан Полярис (7 min 36 sec)
May 29, 2019, 07:38 PM

Model Aero Out!!!

Hey guys, just a quick update on Model Aero. We have effectively closed up shop as of yesterday. I cannot express my gratitude enough for the support we have received over the last 14 years on this forum. It has been a phenomenal run. The hobby and market has changed so much and it was time to end it. I tried briefly to sell the company but honestly it's a tough market and it would take a special individual to make a go of it.

I especially want to thank Laddie Mikulasko and Steve Shumate for the timeless design of the North Star/Polaris. And Nigel Chippindale aka Daedalus66 for his help and unwavering support.

I know the North Star and Polaris will live on and I hope everyone continues to enjoy the designs.

Best wishes,

Scott DeTray
May 29, 2019, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero
Hey guys, just a quick update on Model Aero. We have effectively closed up shop as of yesterday. I cannot express my gratitude enough for the support we have received over the last 14 years on this forum. It has been a phenomenal run. The hobby and market has changed so much and it was time to end it. I tried briefly to sell the company but honestly it's a tough market and it would take a special individual to make a go of it.

I especially want to thank Laddie Mikulasko and Steve Shumate for the timeless design of the North Star/Polaris. And Nigel Chippindale aka Daedalus66 for his help and unwavering support.

I know the North Star and Polaris will live on and I hope everyone continues to enjoy the designs.

Best wishes,

Scott DeTray
Very sad to see this.
Several of our club members have purchased the Polaris and still enjoy flying them. As a matter of fact, our rc club is having our bi-annual float flt this coming weekend and that's one of our favorite planes to fly!!!

Best of luck
Patrick

Pirates of The Sky
May 29, 2019, 09:54 PM
65 years of RC flying
Thanks to Scott and ModelAero.com for ten years of fun with the Polaris and related models. In my view, the best water planes ever.

And, of course, thanks to Laddy and Steve for the designs that inspired all this.

Happily, I still have enough of Scott’s kits to keep me going for years!

And there’s always scratch building with MPF if I run out.

Here’s to another ten years of this great thread.
May 29, 2019, 10:29 PM
TonyS
Quote:
Hey guys, just a quick update on Model Aero. We have effectively closed up shop as of yesterday. I cannot express my gratitude enough for the support we have received over the last 14 years on this forum. It has been a phenomenal run. <snipped lines of text>

Best wishes,

Scott DeTray
Scott, I am saddened to learn Model Aero has closed. I apologize for not purchasing anything for many months, but I have not broken my Polaris nor my Ultra in that time.

Thank you, for providing foam flyers with a great selection of well designed and manufactured planes. I am certain your kits have provided thousands of hours of pilot enjoyment, following a few hours of building pleasure.

Best hopes for your future.

TonyS
Last edited by tonystro; May 29, 2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: to add "not broken"
May 30, 2019, 05:33 AM
My thanks and best wishes as well. A super model (and all its variants) that have and continue to give me hours of fun. Not to mention my own customized jobs :-) I too have a few in the box but likely will never build them as the built ones I already have just keep on going.

Best of luck and now maybe you can catch up on your flying time...Pete M
May 30, 2019, 01:54 PM
Team Futaba
Sorry to hear that Scott. I wish you luck on your future endeavors.

Surprised to see this as my friend Spencer Weigand and I just received a few mini Polaris kits from you last week!

Devin McGrath
May 31, 2019, 12:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the closing of business. I just ordered a kit last week thankfully! My grandfather Paul Weigand and everyone in upstate New York has one of these because of you! Very grateful you brought back this design and hopefully it will live on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jun 01, 2019, 03:57 AM
Scott, sorry that you had to close the business. I thank you and Steve for bringing my North Star design in form of your POLARIS to modelers around the world. The number of modelers building and flying the POLARIS is making me confident that the model will become the timeless design.
Good luck Scott.

Laddie.
Jun 01, 2019, 06:08 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADDIE
Scott, sorry that you had to close the business. I thank you and Steve for bringing my North Star design in form of your POLARIS to modelers around the world. The number of modelers building and flying the POLARIS is making me confident that the model will become the timeless design.
Good luck Scott.

Laddie.
I would say that the Polaris (North Star) has to rank as one of THE classic scratchbuilds of all time ... not only is it supreme in its original plan form - but it accepts individual adjustments / modifications without complaint.

I think I can say for many - it will be a model gracing many hangars for many years to come.
Jun 03, 2019, 03:36 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Quote:

Best wishes,

Scott DeTray

So sad to see this, Scott. Thanks for all the hard work you put into making quality kits and providing top-notch customer service all these years! I certainly understand the hobby has indeed changed in the last 10 years, and how hard it is for a small company to compete these days... Best of luck to you!

And thanks again to Laddie for letting us borrow his classic and timeless Northstar design!

Steve
Jun 13, 2019, 10:35 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late

Polaris Rudder Servos \ Pushrods .... 2 of them ??

I'm building the Polaris and looking through the pics with the kit on CD, it seems there's a rudder servo above and one below.
1) Am I reading this right?
2) Does there need to be two?
3) What's the purpose of having two since they are both below the Horizontal stab, meaning the upper dorsal is just a fixed piece?

Just saw the above posts about the company sunsetting
Jun 13, 2019, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin
I'm building the Polaris and looking through the pics with the kit on CD, it seems there's a rudder servo above and one below.
1) Am I reading this right?
2) Does there need to be two?
3) What's the purpose of having two since they are both below the Horizontal stab, meaning the upper dorsal is just a fixed piece?

Just saw the above posts about the company sunsetting

There is only one rudder servo on the normal sized Polaris. The upper piece above the horizontal stab is stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jun 13, 2019, 10:42 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Ok... the pics above are for the 29" span standard size build which show one high and one low, but located under the horiz stab.

I think i'm going with the upper location to keep that fuse hole up out of the water.

Quick Reply