Dec 04, 2018, 04:53 PM

Полёт Поляриса с камерой

RC POLARIS полёт над лесом (6 min 8 sec)
Last edited by Iltis; Dec 05, 2018 at 12:55 AM. Reason: нет м
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2019, 01:45 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Couple of Soloshot videos of the same flight today ... apologies for remote microphone ... just not working properly ...

Polaris 06 Jan 2019 Soloshot A (5 min 47 sec)

Polaris 06 Jan 2019 Soloshot B (5 min 52 sec)

I will always have a Polaris in the hangar ....

Nigel
Jan 19, 2019, 10:41 PM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
I'm late to this party and just ordered the 29" span today with the heatsink for the esc.
I'm more of a wood builder so I have a few questions if I may:

1) Should I still vent I assume with the inverted spoon front and back?
2) What is suggested for hinging. With water and high speeds I'm concerned about blenderm or other tapes and would like to actually mechanically hinge? Is this necessary?
3) I've read here that foam-tac is used for construction as well as epoxy and micro-balloons.
From a high level, foam-tac all foam to foam construction and epoxy \ micro for the motor mount or other high stress areas?
4) I believe there's a single aileron servo. Do I need to set differential? With the ailerons being the strip type, I know this is usually not much of an issue.

Thanks for any advice...
Mike
Last edited by Thermalin; Jan 19, 2019 at 11:09 PM.
Jan 20, 2019, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin
I'm late to this party and just ordered the 29" span today with the heatsink for the esc.
I'm more of a wood builder so I have a few questions if I may:

1) Should I still vent I assume with the inverted spoon front and back?
Not absolutely necessary but if you are using a lowish amp ESC - then cooling it may be advised. I do not cool any ESC in mine now as I use a 35A or more ESC which then is well over the usual load. I actually preferred the Hobby King cheapo 50A ESC - but they don't seem to have that anymore.

Quote:
2) What is suggested for hinging. With water and high speeds I'm concerned about blenderm or other tapes and would like to actually mechanically hinge? Is this necessary?
Many people survive with taped hinge - but I never had much luck with it. What I use is thin flexible plain plastic strips ... mylar printers sheet is ideal .. I cut strips about 3/4" long and 1/4" ... mark the centre line and then slot and epoxy into each side to provide a closed gap and permanent hinge ... all you have to do is make sure that the elevator or whatever has a bevel to allow it to move up / down ... and not have a glue bridge stopping movement !

Quote:
3) I've read here that foam-tac is used for construction as well as epoxy and micro-balloons.
From a high level, foam-tac all foam to foam construction and epoxy \ micro for the motor mount or other high stress areas?
I use UHU Por similar I believe to Foam Tac ... as well as Epoxy and PU Glue. Epoxy does all my high stress stuff as motor mount plates .. ply plate at base of fin ... and of course the strip hinges. I like to dribble PU glue along the seams inside before closing up to make sure all is secure and sealed. UHU Por does the general build.

Quote:
4) I believe there's a single aileron servo. Do I need to set differential? With the ailerons being the strip type, I know this is usually not much of an issue.
This is one area I definitely move away from that single servo ... I put separate servos into top of wing with over wing rods etc. I'm not a lover of that angled arrangement and prefer my servos outside so I can replace if needed. The bottoms of servos exiting underside of wing have never had any problem with getting water in as I paint them in sealing the cases.

Quote:
Thanks for any advice...
Mike
As regards the lower hull ... I use clear varnish as a sealer and waterproofer for the paintwork. It also provides a 'skin' to help protect the foam. Usually I have a colour scheme that means household Emulsion paint onto the foam - this is water based and no effects on foam. Dries quickly and leaves a tough skin. Over that - the clear varnish creates a waterproof system

Nigel
Jan 20, 2019, 09:06 AM
I'm a pilot, 100 yrs too late
Thanks.. really appreciate the thorough response.

I have a 40a esc I an use so I should fine there.
I'll go with hinges.
For the wing servos... is the wing two pieces of depron sandwiched as I'm wondering where your wires are?
Jan 20, 2019, 09:24 AM
No ... wires are surface tacked with dabs of hot glue smoothed with wet finger - then tape over before painting.

Here the photo shows that on this one I built - I have added some shaped foam covers to give some cosmetic appeal !

I have actually done away with all the buried wiring and even my motor / elevator / rudder servo wires are surface led down the front of the fin in a groove - then faired with carefully applied tape ...
My elevator / rudder servos are not buried in the nacelle but mounted through the outer wall ...
Jan 20, 2019, 04:28 PM
similar to Nigel's set up, but I have the (two) servos inside the fuse, and take the rods out to the ailerons. I also use uhu por, but mostly foam tac, and epoxy for the motor mount etc. I'm on the 4th Polaris, in the last 3 I moved away from the enclosed as per plan aileron servo set up, just for maintenance .

As I also fly off grass and sand, I incorporated packing tape into the colour scheme under belly to help protect it, it also helps me with orientation. This is a 120% so there is a bit more room inside!

Paul
Jan 20, 2019, 07:14 PM
Everyone has their preferred approach. I like the single aileron servo, my first one was with torque rods but after that I went with a cable setup, see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3284 One main reason is I really dislike visible servos on a model so if I can make them internal I do. Means I almost never have an ARF model, it's always an ARF+

Foam-Tac works well for hinges if you follow the instructions, and you really don't need anything else. But what I usually do is use Balsa-Loc (or equivalent) on the edges and then attach with 1" wide strips of Nelson Lite-Film (or equivalent), have never had a problem water flying. I use a heat sink on my ESC and have it poking out the top of the fuselage, and have never had an issue with overheating.

Glue is foam safe CYA or white polyurethane glue--and don't forget the nylon filament tape reinforcement on the inside of the fuselage (see Daedalus66's posts about some fairly easy mods you can do to add strength to help with those less than perfect landings).

It's an easy model to make your own...Pete M
Jan 21, 2019, 05:53 AM
The beauty of Polaris - is its such a great model as Steve drew up - that it can survive us hacking at it with our modifications and still be a great flyer.

My mod's are basically to allow me to replace or sort in event of servo / motor failure without need to hack into the structure. Plus to raise everything above waterline into the drier upper fuselage.

Nigel
Apr 19, 2019, 09:04 AM
Looked out at river ... looked good ... fired up motorboat, loaded Arctic Cat and Polaris ....

Got out there .... waves were more than appeared from house ... 5 - 6" and sharp.

Arctic Cat flipped over when turning ... rescued .. drained water ... she's fine.

The inner voice kept saying ... Don't do it ... Go home ....

But typical Human - I decided to give Polaris a go ... same - She flipped over ... all survived except my 7ch Frsky Rx ... which no longer binds. Swapped out to one of my 4ch Frsky Rx's and all's fine ...

I need them for Monday - its Clubs Open Season Meeting ....
May 13, 2019, 04:42 AM
polaris XL 120 % (3 min 44 sec)
May 22, 2019, 09:29 AM

Мой новый Polaris

модель уже поднималась в воздух но ещё на доработке и регулировке
Last edited by Iltis; May 22, 2019 at 09:39 AM.
May 22, 2019, 12:06 PM
Polaris SS3 B Cirava 27 April 2019 (7 min 30 sec)

and another angle ...

Polaris SS3 A Cirava 27 April 2019 (7 min 37 sec)
May 22, 2019, 01:24 PM
I have been out of the loop for some time - since last fall with my failed camera plane tow disaster... I have not as of yet repaired my XL.

Do I understand correct that Scott is no longer making kits. I hate ARFs or Plug and play... They ALWAYS crash quickly... and the other club members give me s... about flying "store bought" models...

I did take my standard size Polaris out for a grass flight on the one day suited to flying that we have had this spring... It was great.

Gary
May 23, 2019, 06:39 AM
polaris XL 120 % FPV 4S 2200 mAh 35C (4 min 27 sec)

Quick Reply