Apr 17, 2017, 10:15 PM
OK, thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2017, 05:51 PM

MIG 29 color scheme

Per the attached photos, I just completed my 4th Polaris and decided to apply the Russian MIG 29 Demonstration Team color scheme using Oracal vinyl tape. I also installed bright LED landing lights in the wing tip skids ( they are much brighter than the photos show). Plan to get it in the air in a few days.
Last edited by arfpicakit; Apr 19, 2017 at 11:36 AM.
Apr 18, 2017, 07:54 PM
60 years of RC flying
Very nice!
Apr 18, 2017, 08:03 PM
TonyS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfpicakit
Per the attached photos, I just completed my 4th Polaris and decided to apply the Russian MIG 29 Demonstration team color scheme using Oracal vinyl tape.
Beautiful!

TonyS
Apr 18, 2017, 11:51 PM
That's excellent! The shapes compliment the Polaris planform very nicely!

I too was leaning toward an airshow scheme (F-16 Thunderbirds) for my 150% Polaris. But once I got it in the air to my eye the big bird had more of a stately "airliner presence" than that of a fighter jet, so I abandoned the idea. Never got further than the artwork.

tn

Quote:
Per the attached photos, I just completed my 4th Polaris and decided to apply the Russian MIG 29 Demonstration team color scheme using Oracal vinyl tape. I also installed bright LED landing lights in the wing tip skids ( they are much brighter than the photos show). Plan to get it in the air in a few days.
Apr 19, 2017, 06:15 AM
Great looking Polaris!

I like the T'birds scheme as well!
Apr 19, 2017, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Thomas----- if you are thinking of an airliner theme, I also did a Concorde-esk Polaris. If you're interested, take a look at page 1790, post 26848. Might give you some ideas.
Last edited by arfpicakit; Apr 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Apr 19, 2017, 04:27 PM
looks real good, must have taken ages!
Apr 19, 2017, 07:15 PM
Also nicely executed! Without a doubt you and I are on a very similar wavelength!

tn

Quote:

Thomas----- if you are thinking of an airliner theme, I also did a Concorde-esk Polaris. If you're interested, take a look at page 1790, post 26848. Might give you some ideas.
Apr 19, 2017, 10:03 PM
Park Jet Guru
Quote:
Per the attached photos, I just completed my 4th Polaris and decided to apply the Russian MIG 29 Demonstration Team color scheme using Oracal vinyl tape. I also installed bright LED landing lights in the wing tip skids ( they are much brighter than the photos show). Plan to get it in the air in a few days.
GORGEOUS paint scheme!! Fits the Polaris perfectly. Well done!
Apr 20, 2017, 08:59 AM
I have a question for those of you who have built and fly the plane. I'm nearing the end of my build on the mini-polaris and I am concerned about the aileron servos and horns being on the bottom of the plane. This looks like an opportunity for the horns to catch on the grass and strip the servos. Also a greater chance of the servos getting wet. It is prompting me to look for ways to put the servos and horns on the top side. Has anyone had these issues occur? Has anyone put the servos on top? Not a lot of room in the Fuse there. How did it work?
Apr 20, 2017, 10:21 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dplanedplane
I have a question for those of you who have built and fly the plane. I'm nearing the end of my build on the mini-polaris and I am concerned about the aileron servos and horns being on the bottom of the plane. This looks like an opportunity for the horns to catch on the grass and strip the servos. Also a greater chance of the servos getting wet. It is prompting me to look for ways to put the servos and horns on the top side. Has anyone had these issues occur? Has anyone put the servos on top? Not a lot of room in the Fuse there. How did it work?
On all my Polari' ... I have put my servos via the top of the wing with horns / rods etc. Nothing except bottom part of servo below wing. I have had snagged servos etc. etc with my first having items below wing. I also was not so happy about the single servo set-up in the fuselage so opted for split servos ...

But as regards Mini Polaris never built one ...

Nigel
Apr 20, 2017, 10:22 AM
60 years of RC flying
The model works very well as designed. Mine has been flying for six years and I've never had a problem with water entry except in a crash, and it didn't get the servos wet. The servos are safely tucked away in a waterproof compartment (if you build it properly). If you are building from the kit it comes with effective seals for the push rod exits. I always smear some vaseline on the push rods, which helps to repel any water and also prevents rust.

Make sure the servos are sealed around the case seams and cable exits, especially the latter, as the bottom of the servo is above the wing and could get wet in the event of a dive into the water which pops the hatch. Seal around the servos with hot glue.

The one vulnerability is the ESC. When I got water in the top as a result of a crash, the ESC took on a few drops and the magic smoke escaped. Ever since then I have waterproofed the ESC with CorrosionX. Of course I haven't crashed it since!

You also ask about the horns catching on grass. It's never happened in all my flying, though one time I did pick up some weed when flying off water. It flew fine, trailing the weed.

The Mini is a great little flyer and very compact to carry around in the car. I'm about to build a new one to fly this summer. Mine has a C20 2050kv motor, 12A ESC, 6x4 APC prop trimmed to about 5.2", and 3s 850 mAh 35c Zippy Compact battery. It weighs 11oz ready to fly.

Edit:
The Mini flies very well, but it is a small, light plane and gets bounced around in the wind. The best thing I did for mine after about three years was install a Lemon 7-channel stabilized receiver. This not only helped in the wind but made flying much smoother in all conditions.
At the very least, make sure you set the rates low enough for smooth flying. Use the throws mentioned in the Guide and set low rates to approximately 70%.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Apr 20, 2017 at 03:45 PM.
Apr 20, 2017, 03:34 PM
60 years of RC flying

Polaris Mini

Here's a video of the Mini flying off a large puddle at our flying field in spring a few years ago.

Not a very inspired video, but it does show the Mini in action (and you don't have to watch all of it).

Polaris Mini on Water (4 min 0 sec)
Apr 22, 2017, 08:56 AM
Thanks for your responses about servos and horns on top. D66, your note about picking up and flying trailing grass and watching your video where you have to go out with boots to retrieve the plane stuck on grass, has convinced me to put the horns on top. No need to risk the horn catching. Without anything sticking down, this plane ought to glide over grass and seaweed. Thanks again.