Nov 27, 2016, 09:36 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
For anyone interested - my Skipper has had a bad incident and the pylon has ripped away from the main structure.
I tried fixing but its horrible and I am seriously considering building a Polaris pylon to fit to it instead, creating a "Polipper" !
The semi-symet wing of Skipper with Polaris mount may be a winner .....

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Life goes on and new boat
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2016, 08:19 AM
68 years an RC flyer
You can check the CG upright or inverted, whichever is more convenient. I simply pinch the fuselage above the wing with the model upright. With a model that has more weight above the wing, inverted might be preferable, but upright is perfect for a standard Polaris.

The main point, though, was that however you do it, you need to balance the model level. If you balance it "somewhat nose down" the real CG may be either a little or a lot ahead of the step, depending on how far above the CG is the suspension point.

By the way, we're not really disagreeing about where the CG should be located. I said at the step or no more than 1/4" behind it on the XL. That's 3/16" (5mm) on a standard Polaris. Not a significant difference, given the broad chord of the delta wing.

One last point on CG. A big mistake I've seen made a couple of times is simply to place the Polaris on a flat surface, thinking that this demonstrates balance at the step. Rather, the model can be drastically nose heavy and still sit level on its belly.

I look forward to the hybrid Polar-Skipper. P-kipper for short?
Nov 30, 2016, 03:04 PM
chronic in training

polaris vs skipper

I had a scratch built polaris which I loved. My friend has standard polaris and ultra polaris kits built and flown . he also has a skipper that he flies on 4s...

I found the skipper to be a little twichy. I know it is smaller. I still think the standard size polaris is one of the best kits of all time...

Just my two cents.
Nov 30, 2016, 05:59 PM
DD,
your looking at the wrong video! Mine is the following one over land

I also use the pinch method as recommended, right above the step, and its level

Polaris aughton 24112016 (3 min 34 sec)
Nov 30, 2016, 07:26 PM
It looks like probably March or April before I will get by soloshot3 since I did not pre-order it until mid-summer. But that's kind of okay is up here in the North country the flying season normally would be over now and not really start until April. Both fingers and batteries don't like cold weather. But I am very anxious to see how it will follow all 3 of my polarii
Nov 30, 2016, 07:51 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
It looks like probably March or April before I will get by soloshot3 since I did not pre-order it until mid-summer. But that's kind of okay is up here in the North country the flying season normally would be over now and not really start until April. Both fingers and batteries don't like cold weather. But I am very anxious to see how it will follow all 3 of my polarii
My Polaris really comes into its own in winter. It becomes my main model. Touch and goes on the snow - love it.

As to SS3 - I rec'd an email apologising - again - for delays. With a hint that I may receive mine earlier than March. SS saying they quote March now to be safe .....

Fingers crossed.

As to the CoG checking. As I mentioned before - it depends on how the weight is distributed vertically in the model. Because my Polaris basically has no gear below the wing - my Polaris is more top heavy than designed. This then means inverted checking is the way to go. Even my lipo is not below wing line.
If you build as per designed - then upright or inverted is fine. But if you try upright with mine - it is too sensitive and difficult to find the CoG. Just like a low winger in fact. Turn it over and it all sorts out nicely.

Nigel
Latest blog entry: Life goes on and new boat
Nov 30, 2016, 11:21 PM
68 years an RC flyer

Polaris Seaplane Parkflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
My Polaris really comes into its own in winter. It becomes my main model. Touch and goes on the snow - love it.
Nigel
Yes, the Polaris is the best snow flyer ever! Unlike ski planes, it seldom has any problem with footprints in the snow.

My favorite Polaris is the EX, with motor mounted pusher-fashion on the rear fuselage and twin booms supporting the tail. The extra side area improves tracking and the motor mount arrangement is much more resistant to damage in a moderate impact.

Mine drove into the ground as a result of radio failure late this summer and I have yet to rebuild it, but I will over the winter.

Meanwhile my ratty old original Polaris, built in 2009, looks bad but still flies as well as ever.
Nov 30, 2016, 11:30 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdevlin View Post
DD,
your looking at the wrong video! Mine is the following one over land

I got the right one this time!

It looks to me as if, throughout the flight, but especially in the bit you point to, the elevator is not centering precisely. The result is that the trim varies and is often just a touch nose down. Could be slack or friction in the linkage, poor servo, control throw dialed down to very low setting, or even slop in the transmitter stick.
Dec 01, 2016, 07:42 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post

I've had mine on order since they first posted availability and my "expected" delivery date is the same as yours. I'm still keeping the faith, but I've already missed two flying seasons as the date keeps getting pushed back. Sure hope the end product is worth the wait.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Dec 01, 2016, 05:18 PM
Quote:
It looks to me as if, throughout the flight, but especially in the bit you point to, the elevator is not centering precisely. The result is that the trim varies and is often just a touch nose down. Could be slack or friction in the linkage, poor servo, control throw dialed down to very low setting, or even slop in the transmitter stick
Checked it over, tx is fine as it flies a load of other models, Its a twin servo aileron set up with carbon rods, so no slack there, but when I buit it I had a small gap between the wing and ailerons, using plastic hinges, you mentioned this a while back, so I'm going to remove and uhu por glue direct to the wing, eliminating the gap, then reset the throws as you recommended

Thanks

Paul
Dec 04, 2016, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjulian View Post
Hi Bob

Since Polaris is a water plane remove paper.

It can be laminated with 3M super 77 adesive.

Keep build the same.

The recomended power setup is Superb.

28/26/2200 kv apc 7x4 prop.

40 amp esc and 3s 2200mha.

Cheers

Juan
Thanks for the reply, I was a while getting back to read it. I am still rounding up material and tools, as I have not built any planes in years.

Bob
Dec 20, 2016, 12:58 PM
Can't decide if I should get the polaris or the XL. Can the regular one carry a runcam 2 or a gopro with case?

i've got a dynam beaver but never flown with floats. how much easier to land in water with polaris vs a beaver on floats?
Dec 20, 2016, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd View Post
Can't decide if I should get the polaris or the XL. Can the regular one carry a runcam 2 or a gopro with case?

i've got a dynam beaver but never flown with floats. how much easier to land in water with polaris vs a beaver on floats?
hi vincesd

for the gopro i think xl is the best regarding the weight and the speed of flight

for landing in water i don't know for the beaver but for polaris it is very easy to land on water and it is not possible to down in water

have a nice flight and happy christmas

yves
Dec 20, 2016, 06:45 PM
I have the dynam beaver and polaris. the polaris is no comparison. much easier fast or just float it in
Dec 20, 2016, 06:50 PM
thanks, pmdevlin. if you were to keep 1 plane, would you keep the beaver or the polaris?

Quick Reply