Feb 14, 2013, 08:15 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Wow! That's amazing. I wonder if it's possible to do that with UHU Por. I must give it a try.

Elevon hinges are so very mission critical, I think I would still want something reassuring like tape across the join.

You could do the Foam Tac hinge and then add tape on just the top surface for peace of mind.

Something else I've seen is smearing a very thin layer of Foam Tac on the Depron to improve the bonding of the Blenderm. The glue is allowed to dry before the tape is applied. I've tried this on a small section where the tape had come loose. So far, so good.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2013, 08:26 AM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 042joasva
Time for maiden this weekend .

How much throws should it have?

Attachment 5535762
HIGH RATE
Elevator 0.75" = 20mm
Aileron 0.75" = 20mm
Rudder 1.25" = 30mm

LOW RATE
Elevator 0.5" = 13mm
Aileron 0.5" = 13mm
Rudder 1.0" = 25mm

Use low rate initially.

(These are throws in each direction.)

Make sure the CG is on the step or very slightly ahead.

Good luck!
Feb 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
#41!?

Is there a 10 step program for this affliction?

Ted
Thankfully NO!
McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Feb 14, 2013, 05:51 PM
I learned a valuable lesson today and luckily I still have my polaris in one piece. Here is the short of what I learned.

Flying off water = good
Flying off snow = good
Flying off snow & water = BAD

Here is the long of what I learned. I saw that the lake had opened up on the end that had a dock and there was a really nice level snow covered lake about 60 feet out so since I haven't been able to ROW with my polaris yet, I thought " what a great time to try". WRONG. The initial take off from water seemed good. Not as quick as grass or snow but still good. I landed on the snow covered lake and then jumped into the water and took off again. I continued to play the game of landing and taking off on multiple surfaces when all of a sudden turns became really sluggish and at times it would get stuck in a bank and would not pull out. I assumed the correct reason which was frozen control surfaces. I landed just barely and notice big ice chunks built up around the ailerons. I cleaned it off as best as I could and then just stayed on the snow covered lake after that. It was just about freezing temps and I did not want to take a chance of freezing up the control surfaces again.

I guess I will have to just wait another month to run on the water.
Feb 14, 2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Wow! That's amazing. I wonder if it's possible to do that with UHU Por. I must give it a try.

Elevon hinges are so very mission critical, I think I would still want something reassuring like tape across the join.

of all the foam tac control surfaces i done, none has seperated yet(knock on wood)
but ya like they say, add a small strip of tape of some sort to keep yourself safer

-pete
Feb 14, 2013, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
#41!?

Is there a 10 step program for this affliction?

Ted
i agree with King here, i hope not also

-pete
Feb 14, 2013, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybyjohn
I learned a valuable lesson today and luckily I still have my polaris in one piece. Here is the short of what I learned.

Flying off water = good
Flying off snow = good
Flying off snow & water = BAD
I'd replace that with a one-liner:
Flying off water when air temperature is below freezing = BAD

I discovered this last fall before the lake froze, and fortunately I also landed safely.
Feb 15, 2013, 05:23 PM
unconventional :-)

Corrosion resistant control rods

In my ambitious but extraordinarily slow and unconventional polaris build that I am perusing, I am trying to make it durable in a very salty environment. So weeks ago I set forth to buy some stainless steel tig welding rods, but all the local suppliers only stocked bulk quantities. I looked at ebay and there were options, but I had no idea if the metal would be soft or brittle, then the idea dawned on while walking through a discount store. I came across a stainless steel egg whisk. I extracted the wire, places a test piece in salt water and let it evaporate over a week. Not a sign of rust.

$4 for 8 strands, rigid, non-corrosive, non-brittle control rods. Same thickness as my regular wire. Readily available. Nice!

Hope that helps others.
Feb 15, 2013, 05:56 PM
Aus
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Well done mate. Are these for linkages, torque tubes or both? What other kadilations are you doing on this build?
Feb 15, 2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil
In my ambitious but extraordinarily slow and unconventional polaris build that I am perusing, I am trying to make it durable in a very salty environment. So weeks ago I set forth to buy some stainless steel tig welding rods, but all the local suppliers only stocked bulk quantities. I looked at ebay and there were options, but I had no idea if the metal would be soft or brittle, then the idea dawned on while walking through a discount store. I came across a stainless steel egg whisk. I extracted the wire, places a test piece in salt water and let it evaporate over a week. Not a sign of rust.

$4 for 8 strands, rigid, non-corrosive, non-brittle control rods. Same thickness as my regular wire. Readily available. Nice!

Hope that helps others.
I've been using whisk for my pushrods, I buy 3 in one package (S,M,L) only a $1.25 from local dollar store, cheaply made but perfect for pushrods, I did try expensive one before from walmart but it was very hard to bend.
Feb 15, 2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bledi
Ok 2 days before the maiden flight.
For information I made 2 layer of varnishing. The protection looks very good
Looks great, good to see others use KFM2 like I do.
Feb 15, 2013, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil

Hope that helps others.
what a bout bike spikes??
they should be weather proof, like these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAPIM-Bicycl...item27cfae184a

2mm diameter, fits the 2mm ez connectors and about 10-11inch long

here in nyc theres tons of bike wheels laying around, just cut em off!
and one end has a 90* bend and its capped, 1 less ez connectors to use

-pete
Last edited by meanbaby; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Feb 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 042joasva
Time for maiden this weekend .

The EPP- plane is totaly covered with laminating film used for paper lamination. It is ironed on with a normal iron set to 120 degres celcius. There is also some packing tape in some places for reinforcement. Some areas were not possible to cover and they are varnished. It makes it a litle heavy but very strong. It will bee interesting to see if it is waterprof enough. First flights will bee on snow.

How much throws should it have?

Attachment 5535762
Looking nice, good luck on maiden, such a great flyer.
Feb 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
Row 0, Seat A

Brilliant!

Great idea guys for corrosion free push rods!

Ted
Feb 15, 2013, 09:38 PM
68 years an RC flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbaby
what a bout bike spikes??
they should be weather proof, like these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAPIM-Bicycl...item27cfae184a

2mm diameter, fits the 2mm ez connectors and about 10-11inch long

-pete
2mm is pretty thick and heavy for this job. I generally use .047" wire, which is about 1.2mm and about 1/3 the weight.

I like the kitchen sourcing idea. Anything fit to use in the kitchen should stand up to salt water.

Quick Reply