Thread Tools
Jun 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go
Pushlaris has reached 200 logged flights

Turnigy 40A Plush
HS55 servos
Little Screamer Super ParkJet motor

Here's hoping for another 200.Attachment 4906423Attachment 4906426

That is one VERY SWEET looking Polaris. One of the best I have come across ...

What app is that on your phone?
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Jun 03, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2012, 04:26 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
nrg2go's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMParkFlyer
That is one VERY SWEET looking Polaris. One of the best I have come across ...

What app is that on your phone?
Thanks, up close she is showing her age.

The App is RCLogbook, has quite a lot of features if your into logging.
Jun 03, 2012, 09:52 PM
Registered User

Wingtip floats


Has anyone tried the Polaris without the wingtip floats? I am thinking of trying it for land based operations only.

Bob
Jun 03, 2012, 10:34 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob93447
Has anyone tried the Polaris without the wingtip floats? I am thinking of trying it for land based operations only.

Bob
I've flown a few times off grass without the floats. No problem, except that the wings get scuffed when it tips to one side in a turn. What I would do for a land-only version is to retain the floats but use only two laminations. That would give you decent skids to keep it level in turns.

EDIT: Actually, I would always keep the water option open by keeping the floats full size. About the only advantage of reducing or eliminating them is a slight reduction in drag. Why bother?
Jun 04, 2012, 05:29 AM
Aus
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Aus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
I have one of those "transmitter gloves" and it does the job very nicely. But then, of course, we have real cold. The other thing that works well is a pair of those thin stretchy knitted gloves that are supposed to fit any hands.

So how cold is too cold?
Too cold for me is when I have to stop flying in perfect still conditions because my hands are shaking . But for the record I looked it up and it was 1.5 degrees celcius - too cold for me without gloves.

And you can keep your 'real' cold, I like to be fly year round .
Jun 04, 2012, 12:02 PM
Registered User

tip floats


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
I've flown a few times off grass without the floats. No problem, except that the wings get scuffed when it tips to one side in a turn. What I would do for a land-only version is to retain the floats but use only two laminations. That would give you decent skids to keep it level in turns.

EDIT: Actually, I would always keep the water option open by keeping the floats full size. About the only advantage of reducing or eliminating them is a slight reduction in drag. Why bother?
D66,

I had such a problem getting a reasonably high roll rate on my XL that I thought that eliminating the tip floats might be an easy way to improve the roll rate as well as reduce weight and drag. But looking back at this thread its apparent that the 100% doesn't have a problem with roll rate (except that it might be too high) so I'll go ahead and install them.

Thanks for the input,

Bob
Jun 04, 2012, 01:17 PM
Registered User
mavlo77's Avatar
And here the rest of the video of the duo flight with ak68. Thanks for the nice flight session, ak68!

Polaris river flight duo (6 min 2 sec)
Jun 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Registered User
lennyboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77
And here the rest of the video of the duo flight with ak68. Thanks for the nice flight session, ak68!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe85FiPEUM4
Man you guys out DID your selfs,,,,,,
That was very very,, entertaining great flying skills and the lights on the plane were so cool...........
Keep the great video's comming ,guys,,
Later,
Lenny
Jun 04, 2012, 02:51 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob93447
D66,

I had such a problem getting a reasonably high roll rate on my XL that I thought that eliminating the tip floats might be an easy way to improve the roll rate as well as reduce weight and drag. But looking back at this thread its apparent that the 100% doesn't have a problem with roll rate (except that it might be too high) so I'll go ahead and install them.

Thanks for the input,

Bob
The 100% Polaris has a much higher roll rate than the XL (depending, of course, on aileron throws). For many people, the XL is ideal and the 100% is too quick (with standard throws).

But don't take my word for it. Try it without and then with floats. Put some tape under the wing tips to protect them.
Jun 04, 2012, 04:29 PM
Registered User
ak68's Avatar
"And here the rest of the video of the duo flight with ak68. Thanks for the nice flight session, ak68!"


Thank YOU mavlo77 for talking me into it and for the editing and posting. Excellent. Well done. Looking forward to the next get together.
I'm glad your 808 cam came back to life. Next time I'll risk mine in the tic-tac box. Or just don't flip over

AK68
Jun 05, 2012, 05:34 AM
I'd rather be flying
baddb1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77
And here the rest of the video of the duo flight with ak68. Thanks for the nice flight session, ak68!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe85FiPEUM4
Love it, nice video!
What are you using for your navigational and landing lights? They seem nice and bright!
Jun 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
nrg2go's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77
And here the rest of the video of the duo flight with ak68. Thanks for the nice flight session, ak68!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe85FiPEUM4
Nice! If you gun the throttle at the right moment as you are entering the water you could launch off a natural wave ramp.

Love the look when she is facing the camera with lights blazing. Is that salt or fresh?
Jun 05, 2012, 07:18 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Lockey's Avatar
Nice video Mavlo77, thanks for sharing

Lockey
Jun 05, 2012, 07:56 AM
Registered User
+ 1 on the video Mavlo77 Very well done and entertaining!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Jun 05, 2012, 10:22 AM
Registered User

tip floats


Since no one has come up with any overwhelming advantages with respect to leaving the tip floats off of the 100% Polaris, I'm going to install them. No sense in messing with a proven design if there is no upside for the modification.

Bob