3D Hobby Shop's 51" AJ Slick ARF Review

The all new 51" AJ Slick manufactured by 3D Hobby Shop and designed by world champion RC pilot Andrew Jesky takes the world of precision and 3D aerobatics and combines them into an airplane like no other on the market today. Tim Tworek, explores this innovative new design from workbench to WOW HOO!!!!!

Splash

Introduction

3D Hobby Shop's 51
3D Hobby Shop's 51" AJ Slick
Wingspan:51"
Wing Area:535sq. in.
Weight:62-60.4oz.
Length:52"
Wing Loading:16.7-16.3oz/sq. ft.
Servos:(4) HS-85MG's
Transmitter:DX-7
Receiver:AR 6200
Battery:4s 2600mah TPX,4s 2600mah TP Prolite V2
Motor:Torque 2812-720,Hacker A30-12XL,Reaper GR-45
ESC:Airboss Elite 60 and 80,Hacker X-70 SB Pro
Manufacturer:3D Hobby Shop
Available From:3D Hobby Shop
Retail Price:$219.99

3D Hobby Shop continues to separate themselves from the competition by offering new and exciting airplanes, and their new 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick is definitely no exception. 3D Hobby Shop has teamed up with yet another world class RC pilot, Andrew "The Animal" Jesky, who took his love for the sport and used his outstanding designing abilities to bring the all new 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick to life. The new 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick incorporates some great new design features making it one of the very best airplanes to fly and by far one of the very easiest to build. The new 51" AJ Slick flies like a much bigger airplane due in part to the Andrew Jesky designed airfoil and excellent tail moments. It is an airplane that will please both the exacting precision pilot and the hard core 3D aerobatic pilot.

This Is Really Slick!!

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick was designed around its full-scale counterpart which was developed by The Slick Aircraft Company. The full-scale Slick was built around the use of two earlier aerobatic airplane designs, the Laser and Extra 230. The Slick's wing profile, elevator and rudder are all based on the Laser design whereas the Slick's control system is based around the Extra 230 setup. The full-scale Slick utilizes an all composite fuselage which eliminates the need for any internal tubular framework. This makes the cockpit of the Slick much more spacious than similar aerobatic models that are made from aluminum structures.

The Slick's composite wing has been stressed to +/-10 Gs and is capable of providing a dizzying roll rate of 360 deg./sec. The Slick can be set up with either a Lycoming AEIO-360 which is capable of producing 220 HP at 2700 RPM, or with the Lycoming AEIO-540 which is capable of producing 294 HP at 2700 RPM. The Slick is definitely on its way to becoming quite a competitor in the world of full-scale IAC aerobatics for many years to come.

What I find even more impressive about The Slick Aircraft Company is that they have even recognized the efforts of Andrew Jesky and Ben Fischer directly on their website. If you go to their home page and scroll down you will see the "Mini Slicks Take to the Air" article that talks about the new 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick.

HOW COOL IS THAT!!

Kit Contents

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick arrived in absolutely perfect condition. 3D Hobby Shop does an excellent job of packaging their airplanes by using a triple box protection method which I'm sure has saved more than an airplane or two during shipping. The 51" AJ Slick also comes with a great box top picture of Andrew Jesky and his 51" AJ Slick.

I was immediately impressed with how well everything was individually packaged and protected from damage. Upon removing all the parts from the protective plastic I found the covering to been near flawless from wrinkles and the four colors scheme was quite vibrant and looked fantastic. I was also drawn to the perfect color match of the pre-painted fiberglass cowl to the rest of the covering (not always an easy task to accomplish).

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick ARF Contains:

• Beautiful four color covering scheme
  • High quality pre-applied vinyl decals
  • Two-piece wing design with a carbon fiber wing tube
  • Wing Bags!!!!
  • Carbon fiber landing gear
  • Aluminum axles
  • Complete hardware package including ALL ball-link connectors
  • Heavy duty wheels
  • Pre-installed canopy latch
  • Pre-installed motor box
  • Composite reinforced landing gear plate
  • Extensive decal package
  • Control throws gauge

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick ARF Requires:

• Brushless outrunner motor (150-200 grams)
  • 55-80A speed controller
  • (4) HS-85MG servos or similar
  • Dubro #672 long arm servo arms
  • 14"-15" Diameter and 6"-7" pitch prop
  • 2" spinner
  • 6 ch. programmable radio
  • 3s-4s 2500 mah lipo battery
  • (1) 18" servo extension (elevator), (2) 3"-6" servo extensions (ailerons)
  • Miscellaneous building supplies (glues, tape, etc.)

Items used to complete the 3D Hobby Shop AJ Slick ARF:

• Hacker A30-12XL, Torque 2812-720, and Reaper GR-45 brushless motors
  • Airboss Elite 60A,Airboss Elite 80A, and the Hacker X-70 SB Pro speed controllers
  • (4) HS-85MG servos
  • DX-7 tx with AR 6200 rx
  • 4s 2600mAh Thunder power Extreme and 4s 2600mAh Thunder Power Prolites V2
  • APC 15 x 6E and 14 x 7E props

Assembly

Meet Andrew Jesky

Andrew Jesky has become a world class RC competitor in not only scale aerobatics but also in the world of F3A pattern aerobatics. Andrew traveled to Argentina last year to represent the United States in the World F3A Championships in which he qualified for the finals and finished 8th on only his first attempt. Andrew is also a 2 time AMA National Champion in Advanced and Masters Class in Precision aerobatics as well as the 2008 and 2005 XFC Champion. Andrew also won this yearís ETOC and finished 2nd at the Electric Flight Expo contest in Arizona this year.

While Andrew enjoys flying fixed wing airplanes he also excels at flying helicopters. Andrew was even featured in a short clip on ESPN's daily show, "ESPN First Take." The footage, which was provided by Fred Midgett of Higher Plane Productions, was taken at this yearís XFC contest. Andrew has always been an ambassador for the sport, and this year was named to the AMA All-Star Team as a member who has been recognized as a major contributor to the sport of RC. While Andrew's RC ventures keep him quite busy he still finds time to maintain a full-time job while also attending college. Andrew continues to prove that he is one of the top level competitors as well as designers. Andrew has been involved in several RC airplane designs that bear his name, and I'm sure we'll see more designs coming from Andrew in the near future.

The Manual

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick manual does an outstanding job of providing an easy to follow and understand photo-illustrated guide that explains everything in detail and leaves no question about each build step. The one thing I've found in building 3D Hobby Shop airplanes is that if you have built one or two of them in the past the rest of their airplanes build in a very similar manner. With the level of completeness that comes built-in with the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick an average builder could assemble this airplane in just a few short hours. The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick manual is by far one of the best written and illustrated manuals I have seen to date.

A fellow RCGroups contributor, Kevin (ipsmotors) has produced a series of three videos that can be used as visual aids with the build of your 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick. What a great contribution Kevin has provided to other modelers! Awesome Work Kevin!!

51" Slick build video #1

51" Slick build video #2

51" Slick build video #3

Wing

I have been using servo extension locks for some time now on my giant scale airplanes but for some reason have opted not to use them on my smaller electric airplanes. While I've never lost an airplane to loose servo extensions, because the 51" AJ Slick is capable of such high energy 3D maneuvers I thought it best to make sure that all my servo extensions remain connected so I tried the locks. I've started to use these locks on all my airplanes (except my foamies). They snap right over the connected servo extensions and provide a fast and easy way to ensure my extensions never pull apart in flight.

Before I could even start working on the wings of my 51" AJ Slick I just couldn't believe that the wings came fully protected in their own wing bags direct from the factory. This is a first for me as I have NEVER owned an airplane in which the wing bags come as a standard item with the kit. The wing bags are of excellent quality and are a perfect fit for the 51" AJ Slick wings and there is even a wing tube sleeve built right inside one of the wing bags to safely transport your wing tube. EXCELLENT!!

I used a pair of HS-85MG servos to handle the aileron controls on my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick. The HS-85MGs are a near perfect fit in the Slick's servo bays, and what trimming was needed only took me a second or two to get the servos to seat nice and neat in the servo bays. The HS-85MG servos are perfect for the Slick: they provide 41oz.-in. of torque on 4.8V (48.6oz.-in. on 6.0V) which is more then enough to handle even the toughest demands exerted on them by the ailerons. I used Dubro #672 long arms to be able to get full 3D throw capabilities from my ailerons. I used the longest single arms in the package, and as instructed by the manual I shortened them down by about one hole.

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick uses ball-link connectors on all the control surfaces and when combined with the nice short direct pushrods makes for a slop free and very precise movement of the aileron controls. The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick also makes use of light weight but extremely strong composite control horns which glue in place using medium CA glue.

Tail

Rudder Installation

One of the most original and most recognized features of the new 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick is its tall rudder profile - very effective and precise rudder that every pilot can appreciate. Just as with the rest of the control surfaces on my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick I opted to use a HS-85MG servo to handle the work load. The HS-85MG provides PLENTY of torque to handle full 45 degree deflection for even the most violent maneuvers.

Elevator Installation

One of the unique features about 3D Hobby Shop ARFs is that most of them come with the CA hinges already glued into the control surfaces. The 51" AJ Slick is no exception. The elevator hinges were nicely glued into the elevator halves and simply needed to be glued into the horizontal stab. The 51" AJ Slick's elevator uses a hardwood joiner that is already glued and covered to the right elevator half. This design makes for a very easy to set up, lightweight yet robust assembly that goes together in just minutes. The key in setting up the elevators correctly on the 51" AJ Slick is to make sure that enough medium/thick CA is placed in the left elevator slot and that the two elevator halves are firmly seated together. If done correctly, you will be rewarded with a twist-resistant setup, and elevator halves that will deflect the same amount up as they do down.

I used the second longest Dubro #672 servo arm on the elevator, and I used the outermost hole on the arm. Ball-link connectors were used to finish my setup, and when completed I get well over 45 degrees of travel on my elevator.

Fuselage

Top Side

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick incorporates a plywood and balsa fuselage that is both light weight and extremely robust due largely impart to Andrew's design of the intricate internal structure of the Slick. The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick comes with both super strong magnets and a pre-installed hatch latch to ensure the canopy on the AJ Slick goes nowhere during even the most violent of maneuvers.

Under Carriage

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick comes with perhaps the best carbon fiber landing gear I have seen to date on an airplane of this size. The carbon fiber gear is extremely strong, and its tall stance makes the AJ Slick look like a much bigger airplane just sitting on the ground. The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick has also set a new standard when it comes to making sure the landing gear plate is nice and strong. One of the weakest areas on most ARF airplanes today is the landing gear plate, but not so with the 51" AJ Slick; 3D Hobby Shop has reinforced this area with composite material that makes the Slick's landing gear plate one tough structure, AND like so many other things on the 51" AJ Slick this process is done completely at the factory.

Motor/ESC Installation.....Decisions?? Decisions???

Powered by Hacker

Hacker A30-12XL
Hacker A30-12XL
Weight: 6.5oz.

Prop/Battery Tests

4s 2600mah Thunder Power Extreme
APC 14 x 7E
Amps:54A
Watts: 740W
APC 15 x 6E
Amps: 57A
Watts: 765W
4s 2600mah Thunder Power Prolite V2
APC 14 x 7E
Amps:55A
Watts: 755W
APC 15 x 6E
Amps: 58A
Watts: 780W

Powered by Torque

Torque 2812-720
Torque 2812-720
Weight: 6.7oz.

Prop/Battery Tests

APC 14 x 7E
Amps:55A
Watts: 780W
APC 15 x 6E
Amps: 58A
Watts: 810W
APC 14 x 7E
Amps:54A
Watts: 775W
APC 15 x 6E
Amps: 56A
Watts: 825W

Powered by Reaper

Reaper GR-45
Reaper GR-45
Weight: 8.1oz.

Prop/Battery Tests

APC 14 x 7E
Amps:62A
Watts: 875W
APC 15 x 6E
Amps: 67A
Watts: 927W
APC 14 x 7E
Amps:62A
Watts: 870W
APC 15 x 6E
Amps: 65A
Watts: 895W

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick is capable of accepting a wide variety of motor and speed controller options from which the builder can choose depending on what kind of performance they would like to get out of the plane. The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick is designed to balance most any 150-200 gram brushless outrunner motor that is capable of producing at least 700 watts of power on its pre-installed motor box. I debated for some time about which motor I wanted to use on my 51" AJ Slick, and I found it extremely difficult to decide on just one. So I decided to test three of the most popular and powerful brushless motor setup options that are currently available for the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick.

The three motor/speed controller setups I decided to test in my 51" AJ Slick were the new Torque 2812-720 outrunner motor using the new Airboss Elite 60A speed controller, the Reaper GR-45 outrunner motor using an Airboss Elite 80A speed controller, and finally the Hacker A30-12XL outrunner motor using the Hacker X-70 SB Pro speed controller. All three of these motor options provide tons of power and authority in the 51" AJ Slick, and I'm sure that in the end brand loyalty will usually become the biggest factor in determining which motor is the best one to use for most consumers.

Installing the Torque 2812-720 and Hacker A30-12XL really couldn't get any easier. The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick comes with pre-installed blind nuts in the motor box that match up perfectly with the radial mounts for both motors. I decided to upgrade the stock metal radial mount used for both the Hacker and Torque setup for the thicker and more robust carbon fiber X-mount. The carbon fiber radial mount is capable of withstanding some serious stress that can be exerted on it from extreme 3D maneuvers. It has been holding up fantastic in my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick!!

The Reaper brushless GR-45 is not difficult to mount on the 51" Slick motor box but will need new holes drilled through the motor box as the radial mount holes on the GR-45 don't line up with the pre-drilled holes on the motor box. Not really a big deal as this really only takes just a few extra minutes to complete.

I have really enjoyed flying my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick on all three motors. So which one is the best for the 51" AJ Slick? This will really depend on each individual pilotís flying style and what kind of performance he likes. For me, the Hacker and Torque motors make for excellent lighter weight setups. They don't provide as much power as the Reaper but they provide plenty of power for most any kind of 3D/precision maneuvers I'm capable of flying with the 51" AJ Slick. If you want the most powerful 51" AJ Slick at a slight weight increase then the Reaper is by far your best choice. All three are really great motors for the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them for this airplane.

Radio Installation

There is plenty of room inside the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick's fuselage for installing your radio equipment. The battery tray area is large enough to accept some fairly large packs which will be good news for those pilots interested in longer flight times by running 3000-4000mAh sized LiPo battery packs.

Completion

The first time I stood back and looked at my finished 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick I simply said WOW!! I couldn't have been happier with how my completed 51" AJ Slick looked. The color scheme is amazing to look at, and I knew it would present well in the air as well. I'm currently flying my 51" AJ Slick at the recommended 60mm point which is measured at the WING TIP and NOT from the wing root. My finished 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick's AUW came in at the below weights using both my 4s 2600mah Thunder Power Extreme and 4s 2600mAh Thunder Power Prolite V2 LiPo packs:

Torque 2812-720 Hacker A30-12XL Reaper GR-45
AUW 4s TPX - 60.6oz. 4s TPX - 60.4oz. 4s TPX - 62oz.
AUW 4s TP PL - 59.1oz. 4s TP PL - 58.9oz. 4s TP PL - 60.5oz.

Control throws setup for my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick

Control throws were set per the 51" AJ Slick instruction manual:
Low Rates UpLow Rates Down High Rates Up High Rates Down
Elevator 15 deg. 15 deg. 45 deg. 45 deg.
Aileron 15 deg. 15 deg. 30 deg. 30 deg.
Low Rates Left Low Rates Right High Rates Left High Rates Right
Rudder 30 deg. 30 deg. 45 deg. 45 deg.

Flying

Basics Including Takeoffs and Landings

Getting to the flying field with my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick couldn't be easier. With its carbon fiber wing tube and two piece wing design the 51" AJ Slick will fit into some pretty small vehicles. Once at the field, setting up my 51" AJ Slick takes only a few short minutes. Ground handling with my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick is excellent, and the tall main landing gear allows for plenty of prop clearance for a 14"-15" (and even maybe 16") on my grass flying field. Once lined up into the wind the 51" AJ Slick accelerates rapidly and requires only a touch of rudder to maintain a nice straight track.

Once airborne the 51" AJ Slick really shows its precision prowess as it tracks tremendously well and on low rates and is one super smooth flyer. I have started to use my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick as one of my IMAC practice airplanes just because it responds and handles much like my giant scale airplane when setup with low rates. I find that such maneuvers as point rolls, split Ss, cuban 8s, sharks' teeth, loops and humpty bumps can all be flown with exacting precision when flown with the low rates as specified in the manual.

My 51" AJ Slick lands very similarly to my giant scale airplanes. By maintaining just a small amount of power all the way down to the flare you are rewarded with a nice 3-point landing. I've become so comfortable with my 51" AJ Slick that I'll harrier land it most of the time. The landing gear and gear plate have held up extremely well with no signs of fatigue or cracking.

Aerobatics and 3D Flight Performance

While the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick is fully capable of flying precision aerobatics all day long its uncanny ability to fly unlimited 3D aerobatics makes it an extremely versatile airplane. The 51" AJ Slick is by far one of the easiest airplanes I've ever flown when it comes to flying pulse pounding, heart pumping, mind bending 3D maneuvers at the field. With the dual rates switch(es) flipped on the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick really comes to life, and I've found that it flies some of the most stable post-stall maneuvers of any airplane in its size class. A lot of this stability is in the "Jesky Airfoil" that has a sharp leading edge but a slightly thicker airfoil than some of the more recent 3D Hobby Shop designs.

I've put together a list of some of the many aerobatic and 3D maneuvers that I've flown with my 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick and my thoughts on how I thought the airplane performed flying each of them. Many of these maneuvers are featured in the videos that are listed below.

Harrier - The 51" AJ Slick is one of the most stable mid-sized airplanes in both upright and inverted harriers that I've ever flown. PERIOD!! My 51" AJ Slick has zero wing rock and will easily harrier around the field with just minor throttle, rudder (when turning), and elevator adjustments. The AOA (angle of attack) needed to maintain a solid hover is much lower on the 51" AJ Slick than I've flown with other 3D airplanes (Jesky Airfoil Design). This maneuver inspires pilot confidence in the airplane very quickly.

Elevator - Just take the 51" AJ Slick up nice and high and then apply full elevator (high rates), and reduce the throttle. The 51" AJ Slick will settle into a rock solid elevator with no wing rock and will drop nearly straight down with a slight head wind. A cool maneuver I like to do with my 51" AJ Slick is to fly an elevator right to a few feet above the ground then transition into an upright harrier. So, so easy to fly with the 51" AJ Slick!!!

Knife Edge - My 51" AJ Slick showed a little bit of roll coupling when flying knife edge but a small 6% rudder to aileron mix quickly solved that. With a neutral CG my 51" AJ Slick showed basically no pitch coupling during knife edge flight. The rudder on the 51" AJ Slick has tons of authority and high alpha knife edge flight is no problem at all for the 51" AJ Slick. Very fun to fly these down low from one end of the field to the other.

Snaps - The 51" AJ Slick snaps very cleanly and quite quickly on high rates. The 51" AJ Slick can actually do a double snap quicker than you can blink an eye. One of the snaps that I've been working on with my 51" AJ Slick is called the "snap-to-hover". This is a high rate snap that is usually flown quite low to the ground and finishes in a hover. When pulled off correctly it's one of the coolest looking maneuver I've ever seen!

Waterfalls - The 51" AJ Slick surprisingly waterfalls really well. Normally you wouldn't expect an airplane with a longer tail moment like that on the 51" AJ Slick to perform these so nicely. However, with the airfoiled tail surfaces the pitch authority on the 51" AJ Slick is off the charts. With the right combination of throttle and elevator the 51" AJ Slick will rotate within the length of its own fuselage.

Blenders - VIOLENT!! If I could describe in one word how my 51" AJ Slick performs these that would be it. The 51" AJ Slick transitions through the blender with a lot of authority and will enter a very nice flat spin when the rudder is applied. I've even done these with full throttle applied, and my 51" AJ Slick has held up very, very well. Please be sure you have the carbon fiber radial mount installed as these maneuvers can be very hard on radial mounts and motor boxes.

Rolling Circles - My 51" AJ Slick really excels at performing rolling and high alpha rolling circles. The roll rate on my 51" AJ Slick makes it feel like I'm flying a giant scale airplane when I fly this maneuver. By that I mean it's not too quick or not too slow, and the control coordination needed to fly this maneuver can be done very smoothly with no real need to hurry through the controls. This is one of my favorite maneuvers to fly with my 51" AJ Slick.

Knife Edge Spins - WOW!! My 51" AJ Slick can fly some of the best knife edge spins I've ever seen. The noise that this airplane makes as it comes down in the spin is awesome. If you want to get the attention of everyone at your flying field just put the 51" AJ Slick into a knife edge spin... that will get their attention!

Hovering - By far one of the easiest airplanes to hover. There is plenty of aileron control on the 51" AJ Slick to counter any unwanted torque rolling and the rudder remains very effective while in the hover. All three motor setups provide plenty of pullout for hovering down low or if you need to get yourself out of trouble.

These are only a few of the many maneuvers that I've flown with my 51" AJ Slick. Every time I take my 51" AJ Slick to the field I find myself trying to find out what else the airplane is capable of performing and in each case the 51" AJ Slick has met or exceeded my expectations.

My 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick Photo Gallery/Flight Video

Downloads

Is This For a Beginner?

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick is NOT an airplane designed for novice flyers. The 51" AJ Slick is a very responsive and highly maneuverable airplane that utilizes a fully symmetrical airfoil which reacts faster than a typical trainerís flat-bottom airfoil and doesn't possess the self-leveling qualities that many trainers have. The 51" AJ Slick is marketed more towards intermediate and advanced pilots looking to improve there flying skills. 3D Hobby Shop does offer an excellent airplane that's better suited for beginners called the 53" EBT ARF (yellow version) or the 53" EBT ARF(red/white/blue version).

Conclusion

3D Hobby Shop has really raised the bar on the ARF market with their new 51" AJ Slick. With the level of completeness, the quality of the included hardware and the extreme flying ability of the new 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick one can only imagine what 3D Hobby Shop will be coming out with next. Andrew Jesky has done a terrific job of developing the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick into an airplane that's as adept at flying precision as it is all out 3D aerobatics. With the new "Jesky Airfoil" most any post-stall maneuver can be flown with no wing rock and feels as solid as if you were flying a 30%-40% giant scale airplane. That's quite the achievement on an airplane that spans a mere 51".

The 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick offers the pilot the unique opportunity to fly a truly scale airplane that assemblies quickly and easily and will surely draw the attention of everyone at the flying field. I have been extremely impressed with the high level of quality found in the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick ARF. From the included wing bags, to the composite reinforced landing gear plates, to the ball-link connectors on all the control surfaces, to even including a control throws gauge. 3D Hobby Shop and Andrew Jesky have really given the consumers what they have been looking for in a high quality ARF airplane and company.

There has been an excellent discussion thread started here on RCG's in the 3D forum about the 3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick that is packed full of pictures, setup tips, and other pilot reports on the 51" AJ Slick. This thread is definitely worth taking a look at for anyone interested in what others are saying about this exciting new aerobatic airplane from 3D Hobby Shop.

3D Hobby Shop's 51" AJ Slick Thread

Pluses:

• Triple boxed protection on all airplane shipments
  • Fantastic looking four color covering scheme
  • Pre-applied vinyl decals
  • Included wing bags
  • Complete and very extensive high quality hardware
  • Composite reinforced landing gear plate
  • Awesome flying performance

Minuses:

• As hard as I tried I couldn't find anything!
Last edited by Angela H; Nov 13, 2008 at 08:08 AM..
Nov 12, 2008, 08:08 AM
lazy 3D specialist
Great reveiw Tim .IMO the AJ SLICK is the best ,do anything mid sized electric available anywhere.I find each time I take it out it begs you to do more.My thanks to all who made this plane ,outstanding JOB.Ron
Nov 12, 2008, 08:22 AM
3DHS Junkie
wonderful review Tim!
Nov 12, 2008, 08:35 AM
www.ReaperBrushless.com

AJ Slick

hey tim

great review.

p.s. never wear those shorts again.

scott
Last edited by The Reaper; Nov 12, 2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: add something
Nov 12, 2008, 08:48 AM
ADC Vinyl
Great Work Tim!
Nov 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
Nice review Tim.
Steve
Nov 12, 2008, 09:11 AM
Very well written review Tim but I am a little unclear on one issue - do you like the Slick?
Nov 12, 2008, 09:20 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Great review Tim. What's your favorite motor setup on it.

Cory
Nov 12, 2008, 09:22 AM
Really enjoyed all the work you did on the Slick review. Excellent job...
Nov 12, 2008, 09:28 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4x4
Great review Tim. What's your favorite motor setup on it.

Cory
I new someone was going to ask that question.

If I may quote myself,

"For me, the Hacker and Torque motors make for excellent lighter weight setups. They don't provide as much power as the Reaper but they provide plenty of power for most any kind of 3D/precision maneuvers I'm capable of flying with the 51" AJ Slick. If you want the most powerful 51" AJ Slick at a slight weight increase then the Reaper is by far your best choice."

I really do like them all.

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Nov 12, 2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Nov 12, 2008, 09:32 AM
Dr. Dave
Tim, you do great work.
Nov 12, 2008, 09:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
hey tim

great review.

p.s. never wear those shorts again.

scott
You're just jealous.

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Nov 12, 2008 at 09:50 AM.
Nov 12, 2008, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
- do you like the Slick?
YES

Thanks Lenny!!

Tim
Nov 12, 2008, 09:35 AM
O.N.E.
Another great write up Tim,It makes me want to get one more and more.Olin
Nov 12, 2008, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer
YES

Thanks Lenny!!

Tim
Can't wait to see the Slick in midget form - 40" (ish).

Quick Reply