Sep 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
Help!

lama v4 Xtreme upgrades But no longer flys

My helicopter was working just fine me before I added Xtreme Canopy , Landing Skid , Tail boom . I cannot control the helicopter at all. it will drift to the right or go backwards but the thing is sometimes it will go any direction Before adding these parts I had it flying just fine

Xtreme Blade
Xtreme SE180
Xtreme Canopy for Lama v4
Xtreme Landing Skid for Lama v4
Xtreme Graphite Tail boom Kit for Lama v4
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2008, 06:25 PM
I've got one of each - v3 & v4 all blnged out with the Xtreme stuff. The v4 still has v4 skids & the other stuff has made it tail-heavy. You need to tilt the swashplate forward to get it to hover in place. You can also remove the decorative spinning tail blade & steel cross pin to lighten up the tail & also cut off about an inch of tail to help balance it better. The v3 flies great as it is, but it still was just a little tail heavy. The v3 Xtreme setup works out a lot better than did my v4.

Also, I've got the metal head, swashplate & bladeholders from DealExtreme on both & they work great. OTOH, the same metal upgrade applied to an almost all stock v3 had a bad TBE problem that I just couldn't adjust out. It just seems to be an individual heli problem. Same parts that work great on some, just don't on others.
Sep 10, 2008, 09:52 PM
This is what I want!!!
You done a pretty major upgrade to your heli Wouldn't you expect to have to do a bit of tuning and tweaking afterwards?

Firstly it's not spinning out of control so we can pretty much guess that you've got the motors set up right - Well done there, that puts you ahead of a lot of people who go for the Xtremes.

After that it s matter a trimming and adjusting your control setup.

Make sure the blades are still loose in the holders if you do the screws up too tight you'll get TBE and this can be worse with the Xtreme blades because they have more mass than the stock blades. you don't want any verticl play but you want them loose enough to find their own balance point when you spin up the motors (and also to spin out of the way if they hit something).

Check also that the flybar and upper rotor head are loose. "floppy" is the word I hear a lot. Your mod didn't go there but something might be binding and you'd get these symtom if you'd switched to a metal rotor head that was too tight.

The upgrades you've done will make your heli a bit tail heavy so like AZheli said you'll probably need to extend the control arm for the elevator servo a few turns, that shoud bring you back into the zone where the trimming on the Tx will work.

I have a Xtreme V3 and knocked an inch off the Xtreme tail boom more for cosmetic reasons than anything else but Ialso fround it helped the elevator authority.

Let us know if anyof this helps.

Regards Jim
Sep 11, 2008, 12:24 AM
Thread OP
Thank you guys I'll give that a trial I added the Xtreme SE180 and the Xtreme Blade first before adding the other stuff , the main problem with the helicopter it seems to lose altitude very quickly, And also I have to give it a lot more throtle to stay in the air

Quick Reply