Parkzone F4U Corsair Mod thread - Page 3 - RC Groups
Sep 20, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
I guess all is well.

The wing spar is in. I used large rectangular CF buried deep inside the gull wing. The CF overlaps each other and is secured with CA <Mercury HP> Lastly I glassed the underside of the wing.

If I get a chance I will do the ailerons today. By that I mean I will glass them, perhaps add a CF rod .

The fuse has a coat of Zissner stain blocker white on it. Even after sanding it, and adding some Spackle to it, the skin retained much of it's alligator texture. Just nature of the beast I guess. At 50 foot and 50 MPH no one will notice I'm sure.

If I get a chance Ill make install the servos back into the fuse as well today. Have to make up a push rod retainer and glue the back of the model back on.

Guess it's all about time, and right now I'm limited. Perhaps when I get back from the field Sunday Ill have some?

Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2008, 10:03 AM
Shut up and fly
used large rectangular CF buried deep inside the gull wing

could you draw a picture of how you did that for me please i know time is tight.

i am still waiting for my spare wing to do this too
Sep 20, 2008, 10:35 AM
Suspended Account
Try to include a weigh in with those pics please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
I guess all is well.

The wing spar is in. I used large rectangular CF buried deep inside the gull wing. The CF overlaps each other and is secured with CA <Mercury HP> Lastly I glassed the underside of the wing.

If I get a chance I will do the ailerons today. By that I mean I will glass them, perhaps add a CF rod .

The fuse has a coat of Zissner stain blocker white on it. Even after sanding it, and adding some Spackle to it, the skin retained much of it's alligator texture. Just nature of the beast I guess. At 50 foot and 50 MPH no one will notice I'm sure.

If I get a chance Ill make install the servos back into the fuse as well today. Have to make up a push rod retainer and glue the back of the model back on.

Guess it's all about time, and right now I'm limited. Perhaps when I get back from the field Sunday Ill have some?

Tommy D
Sep 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Ok

Tonight while I am charging packs to go flying I will try my best to illustrate how I did it. IMO the wing benefited more from glassing the bottom then anything else.

I can give you a weight of the wing with servos when "done" but I did not weigh it before. My hopes was my wing would be "about" the same modded then an un-modded wing with the landing gear and big wheels many are adding.

Tommy D
Sep 20, 2008, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
I would love to see the all out weight with the batery and everything

How did you get the servos back further to make a big difference?

just killing me to see this plane!
Sep 20, 2008, 11:06 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22
I would love to see the all out weight with the batery and everything

How did you get the servos back further to make a big difference?

just killing me to see this plane!

I have not installed the servos yet. I do believe that they are going to go in the standard locations.

Many say the Power 15 is just too heavy. Perhaps if you remove the @#$% scale spinner provided and re-weigh the specs might be closer then one would think.

Tommy D
Sep 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
Suspended Account
sorry I read install servos "back" into the fuse incorrectly

power 15 is not to heavy it might actually be too slow for some people
lol

I am surprised you are not going with a different motor.

higher kv that can handle the 4 cell
Sep 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22

I am surprised you are not going with a different motor.

higher kv that can handle the 4 cell
We have to start somewhere right? I'm not so sure this airframe is going to handle much more then 600W. Also this is one thick wing, the kind of wing you might toss all sorts of watts at and get poor speed results.

Tommy D
Sep 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
i hear ya

ever thought of shaving down the leading edge of the wing to make it more sharp. That might really help with speed.

I always dreamed of dipping the foam in something to cover it with a hard surface, but very light.

then putting a much more powerfull motor or maybe a small os 46ax fual motor on it! It would really be cool.

man that thing would go!
Sep 20, 2008, 10:15 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Dave

To me, it's just not worth the effort. Not now anyways.

Many at my home field have changed the way the wing bolts to the fuse to the Trojan. After mocking up the wing on the Corsair tonight I can tell you I will do the same. The wing just will not get "tight" to the fuse with the hold down bolt mad tight.

Half of me wants to just drop the servos in and throw it, the other half wants me to do it right.

Tommy D
Sep 20, 2008, 10:18 PM
Shut up and fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Dave

To me, it's just not worth the effort. Not now anyways.

Many at my home field have changed the way the wing bolts to the fuse to the Trojan. After mocking up the wing on the Corsair tonight I can tell you I will do the same. The wing just will not get "tight" to the fuse with the hold down bolt mad tight.

Half of me wants to just drop the servos in and throw it, the other half wants me to do it right.

Tommy D

do it right will be way worth it
Sep 21, 2008, 03:08 AM
Suspended Account
do it right and post pics please
let us learn
Sep 21, 2008, 05:32 PM
"One more time around"
David, just a quick question? Why do you pick "warbirds" to modify for speed? And you pick the most bulkiest, non-aerodynamic birds for your choice. It's cool and all and I like watching how it turns out but why not get a bird that is made for speed or choose a more aerodynamic airfoil like a Mustang or a Spitfire? I want to upgrade my 480 but I don't need that much speed. Is your next choice for a mod gonna be a P-47? JK Don't get me wrong , I like reading about your mods but just had to ask buddy!
Sep 21, 2008, 05:38 PM
Shut up and fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carter
David, just a quick question? Why do you pick "warbirds" to modify for speed? And you pick the most bulkiest, non-aerodynamic birds for your choice. It's cool and all and I like watching how it turns out but why not get a bird that is made for speed or choose a more aerodynamic airfoil like a Mustang or a Spitfire? I want to upgrade my 480 but I don't need that much speed. Is your next choice for a mod gonna be a P-47? JK Don't get me wrong , I like reading about your mods but just had to ask buddy!

Sep 21, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Had a full day of flying today guys, it was great weather here in NY.

Looked over a few Trojans at the field to get an idea or two about the wing hold down.

Pretty spent but might do something on the Corsair tonight.

FWIW I bet a P-47 of similar size <E-Flite?> would actually be faster then the PZ Corsair for the fact the wing is much thinner. I have such a P-47 and on about 360W through a 10x10 it really hums along.

Tommy D