This thread is privately moderated by Bombay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2013, 02:25 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
tengarang:
thanks for sharing those photos (nice plan room).

Can you share your CG position on your Bee?

Rob
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 03:56 PM
Suspended Account
Hi Rob

I will get those CG measurements for you tonight. I dont know it off top my head.
Jan 31, 2013, 11:41 PM
Suspended Account
CG for me is 102mm from the leading edge of the wing. Balance right side up not up side down since this is a high wing config.
Feb 01, 2013, 09:23 AM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
Thanks for remembering. I recall that mine seemed very nose heavy based on my setup. I will have to go back and check the CG against the 102mm...and maybe get her in the air soon again.
Feb 01, 2013, 01:57 PM
Suspended Account
FYI I would not go over 1000KV with a 9 in prop on this.

I found the FMS 1.1mhellcat motor and prop works fine for t his aircraft...good power. I tend to like it a bit nose heavy because this thing flies like a dog when tail heavy...
Feb 01, 2013, 02:13 PM
Slow Flyer
Thread OP
I believe I settled on a 890kv and 1038 or 1047 prop. If I recall, it was powered okay, but I will check again once I get the CG in a comfortable position.
Feb 10, 2013, 09:47 PM
I couldn`t bring myself to take my COC bee out and crash her up,and my son agreed.
So we compromised,I`m building up a cheap litle crash test bee coppied from the cox basically. the fuse is super light so far,all left to do to it is epoxy the tail on and she is ready to be outfitted with radio gear and an engine and away we fly(I hope)
I built this 1 out of some 1/4"balsa sq stock I had in my assorted balsa box from days gone by,
I`m going to use the already mangled COX wing on it for now and later build up a wing after the COX wing is too epoxy laden to be worth anything at all except used for an airfoil /wing rib template
Feb 11, 2013, 08:20 PM
Suspended Account
I wouldnt worry about the cog all that much. This bird will fly even if its tail heavy given the low wing load. When I first flew her on my maiden flight...I remember still. It was way tail heavy. Here is the kicker...when I took off, I was tail heavy and because it was tail heavy I hit a tree...it lost balance, flip over, and regained its momentum....I was able to pull out of it....granted it was tail heavy...still landed.....

The wing area just about covers the entire fuselage....gives it the ultimate floater fat baby character....

Dont worry too much...you have a 98 % of success unless you really dont kow what you are doing.
Jan 26, 2014, 02:10 AM
Suspended Account

50th anniversary flight

This thread is awfully quiet I wish there is more activity going on. Anyway I thought I would share with you all what my current bee looks like, and will be flying her for the 50th anniversary flight tomorrow.
Jan 26, 2014, 09:10 AM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
I like that led set up.... what's the motor/prop/lilo setup in your foambee?

I have one sitting in storage with an old .049 still on it, would rather go brushless.
Mark
Jan 26, 2014, 03:06 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas View Post
I like that led set up.... what's the motor/prop/lilo setup in your foambee?

I have one sitting in storage with an old .049 still on it, would rather go brushless.
Mark
Hi Mark,

Well thank you for your post. I am using the stock motor from the Parkzone F4F wildcat.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/PKZ4416.html

ESC

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/PKZ1814.html

Propeller I am using a 9x7 APC will draw close to 18amps at WOT gives very good speed. I am using a 2700mah 3s China Line Hobby lipo. I am using a 3 Amp external ubec powered by a 1000mah 2s with mini jst connector independent source because the max power is drawing close to 18 amps so I want to isolate the bec source with the main power train. Also I am using a hobbyking 3-axis Orange Gyro from Hobbyking.

She flies like she is on rails and harriers in for landing. Love this bird! Turns heads at the field and mows the lawn too.
Jan 26, 2014, 10:40 PM
Wow, a 480 in the nose! Any balance issues or did you move some things around to compensate?
Any bad tendencies or build issues? I don't think it would take much time to put one of these things together...

Mark
Jan 27, 2014, 01:38 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Wow, a 480 in the nose! Any balance issues or did you move some things around to compensate?
Any bad tendencies or build issues? I don't think it would take much time to put one of these things together...

Mark
As a matter of fact if you take a close look at one of my closer up pics, you will see a lead cylindrical bar just behind the motor placed horizontally. So the 480 size motor would be recommended that I needed more weight in the nose on top of that. Whats more I used a 2700mah 3s slid vertically top down in the front pocket inside the plane to make it nose heavy maximized.

She flies great this way, on this plane dont worry about the CG if anything make it nose heavy as much as you can, well with in reason of what I told you. You will find it a pleasant flier very docile and calm. She Harriers in and can merely drop in front of your lap on final approach. She looks incapable of flying but she flies the best I tell ya.

Everything else had negligible weight. The gyro module is very light, servos are light I used the walkera standard mini analogue servos. Receiver is light....i used 5000uf Cap network to hold BEC voltage, but that is nothing compared to motor battery and lead weight also the 2s 1000mah lipo to power the bec.

Put it this way, if you can balance her right side up at the wheel wells and be significantly nose heavy...she will fly fine.

Even if she was tail heavy, any beginner pilot with experience would be able to manage her with full authority.
Jan 28, 2014, 11:45 AM
I appreciate the added detail.. looks like you have done your homework.
I will check my parts bin and see what I have that is comparable to your setup.

Thanks again,
Mark
Jan 28, 2014, 12:37 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I appreciate the added detail.. looks like you have done your homework.
I will check my parts bin and see what I have that is comparable to your setup.

Thanks again,
Mark
Your welcome Mark I just want to have another fellow flier to compare stories and experiences with, so in a way I am doing this for selfish reasons too. But more importantly I think this Bird deserves more attention than it is getting.

Tell you what Ill do. Ill make a video documentary and post it tonight with full details so you can use it as a guide for your build

Tengarang

Quick Reply