Sep 04, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Wooden Boats on Parade

The SFMYC is proud to have the Wooden Boats on Parade scheduled for Sat. Oct. 11th at Spreckles lake in Golden Gate Park. Despite the name it is open to all types of boats except nitro Go-Fastees. Entry fee is $15.00 which includes lunch for the entrant. It is a Fun Run format and a Showcase of what we are doing in our hobby. So come one, come all ti will be a day of boats everywhere and every type.
Contact [email protected] for entry form or visit website http://www.sfmyc.org and download it.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2008, 12:05 AM
Taking care of the pond.
CaptLee,
What is parking like at Spreckles lake?
How about local motels close to Spreckles lake?
I would be comming from Fresno, Ca.

Thank You
Don M.
Sep 05, 2008, 12:17 AM
I was out there just today.

Parking is no problem you can just pull right up to the sides of the lake- but THAT day I'm guessing availability will likely be another story... maybe if you get out there early enough.

There are many hotels in the area- just type in 6101 Fulton 94121 into "location" @ Yahoo Yellow Pages.
Sep 05, 2008, 07:24 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Hotels: SF = $$$ !
I'll be at a fleabag near the airport, a short drive on the weekend...
Sep 05, 2008, 09:17 AM
WooHoo!
Huh...there are no short drives in San Francisco.

Last time I went they had a roped off area for drop offs, then you find parking elsewhere. As I remember it's not too bad. Early is the key.
Last edited by woodybob; Sep 06, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
Sep 05, 2008, 11:00 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee
The SFMYC is proud to have the Wooden Boats on Parade scheduled for Sat. Oct. 11th at Spreckles lake in Golden Gate Park.
And I was just there in May---. (sigh) so many venues, so little time---.

Capt. Lee, I'd love to be able to see that, but my budget is committed to St. Louis.

Guess you can't have it all---.
Sep 05, 2008, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
I recommend the hotels and motels in San Bruno(down the Pennisula)as the most economical. parking is fair, early is the key and will have a drop off area so carry distance is short. parking is within a block or two depending on arrival. Will try to get pictures for posting but no promises of quanitity. Kap I understand as I spent my St. Louis money to go up north last month.
Sep 05, 2008, 08:07 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee
Kap I understand as I spent my St. Louis money to go up north last month.
Lee, I could probably come up with airfare, but the time slot is tough.

I could also manage accommodations, but who would handle my bar bill?
Sep 06, 2008, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
Kap figure your bar bill is your own expense, besides one of us has to go to St. Louis to keep that crowd on the Straight and Narrow. No rep from either coast will be there otherwise. PatMat is coming out here I am told with that goal in mind.
Sep 07, 2008, 12:21 AM
I would love to see pictures from this event if anyone is going.

Especiallt of any historic scale sail models.
Sep 08, 2008, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
Scale Sail is pretty thin on the ground anywhere here in the States, but will enter your interest in the PhotoJoes memorybanks. Pics definetly will be taken for all to enjoy.
Sep 12, 2008, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
Been busy with making the plans required to make a contest work. Am checking out with the powers that be if the entry fee is for the Skipper or er Boat, figure it is for Skipper and all the boats he brings, will report back in a day or so.
want all of those on the Forum who show up to find me and introduce yourselves, be nice to put a face to a screen name. Remember it will be Open water most of the time so we can get some running done.
Sep 13, 2008, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
The entry fee is for the Skipper and as many boats as you want to bring. Might bring a table as it usually pretty usde up early and need a place to show-off your BABY.
Sep 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
Kurt Greiner
South San Francisco, on El Camino and South Airport Blvd are both safe places to stay too.

Be sure to get there early, that Saturday the Blue Angels are flying as part of Fleet Week, the parade of warships is in the morning, and traffic is usually very bad all day.

Kurt
Sep 14, 2008, 02:30 AM
Age quod agis
I was going to post this last night and decided to hold off, but now that Kurt has mentioned it I will ask my question.

My wife and I will be in San Francisco for the fleet week parade of ships and air show which is on the exact day of the the wooden boats on parade. I would love to bring a couple of boats and join you guys at the lake, but given the 2 choices of which event to attend you know which one wins out.

Not to pass judgement or anything, but I am curious as to why the event at SFMYC was scheduled for the same day as the fleet week festivities?

Quick Reply