This thread is privately moderated by foamnpacktape, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 04, 2008, 12:31 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Alert

The joys of smoking

Ah, nothing like a drag off a cigarette, calms my nerves, gives my fingers and mouth somethin to do, makes me look so cool.

I was seduced over 25 years ago at 16, not by the coolness, not by the peer pressure, don't really know why.

Never pictured myself here today with a cigarette in hand. Bummed a few, then felt guilty about it so I bought a pack to payback the favors, this was when it started.

Always thought I'd quit in a few years, couldn't be that hard, as anyone sixteen knows we are invincible, the masters of our own destiny right.

Now I am 42, still smokin, can't climb the stairs without some heavy breathin, stained teeth, bad breath, and a social outcast..... definitely not cool. I have two teens of my own now, maybe I won't see them marry, maybe not even graduate. Smoking will cut my life short, but when who knows...... a little game of russian roullette.

Today I am quitting, again. Quittin is easy, do it two or three times a year. Maybe this time I will succeed, maybe I'll be healthy once again in a few years. These are big maybes, quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I'll ever do, but also one of the smartest, and a wonderful gift to my family.

If you have ever considered smoking. You will get addicted, you will not look cool, you will watch thousands of dollars wasted, you will not quit later, you will hurt your family. Please don't open the door, it is near impossible to close again.

Sincerely, learn from my mistake, it was a big one.
foam.
Sep 04, 2008, 03:39 PM
How can you think Smoking is cool? Do you pay attention in health class?, but the majority of people end up smoking, too bad, just glad you knew what was your mistake
Sep 04, 2008, 03:47 PM
Prefectionist
good luck with this attempt. I quit 2 years ago, it was the hardest thing i've ever done.
Sep 04, 2008, 04:09 PM
that's why don't start in the first place
Sep 04, 2008, 05:10 PM
If it flies I love it!
Yeah, I've quit a thousand times myself. Come back in 6 months and tell us how you're doing.
Sep 04, 2008, 06:30 PM

Post More!!!

Actually post and update as often as possible! Maybe it'll catch on. Couple of family members have died from one form of cancer or another mostly due to smoking and/or drinking. I was lucky and was able to quit when I was 24 (now 37). Haven't touched one in years. I tried one every so often and realized how bad they made me feel and nasty they tasted.

Best of luck to ya. This is one habit you can afford to quit. Think of it as more hobby money!
Sep 04, 2008, 07:04 PM
That's me.
@Dorsal: What a sarcastic comment that was totally uncalled for. Foam did an incredibly honorable thing coming here and posting something that could help some teenagers stay away from smoking and make some people stop this nasty habit. Maybe you should rethink your answer and edit your post.

@Foam: I wish you the best in this hard time. I will be praying for you and I hope you succeed for your self, and for your family. Please post updates every once and a while and tell us how your doing.

Sincerely,
Tucker
Sep 04, 2008, 09:53 PM
No retreat no surrender
Keep it up. Quit as many times as neccesary. I smoked for years, quit when I had some major dental work done in the middle 80's. I don't recommend it as a way to quit, but it worked for me. I was diagnaosed with a "non-smoking related" cancer in 2006. I did surgery and radiation, and have had good check ups since. Makes you think.....quitting is ALWAYS the best thing. Jim
Sep 04, 2008, 10:53 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it.

Past attempts were usually kept to myself. If nobody knew I was trying to quit, nobody knew that I failed. This time everybody knows, including my friends here at RCG. Hope this will make a difference.

foam.
Sep 05, 2008, 01:55 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape
Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it.

Past attempts were usually kept to myself. If nobody knew I was trying to quit, nobody knew that I failed. This time everybody knows, including my friends here at RCG. Hope this will make a difference.

foam.
How many packs of cigs did you toss out the window only to go back and get them?

You get to where you throw them hard enough to reach the ditch so they don't get run over don't ya.

I tried and failed a bunch when I was younger, you eventually win if you keep trying.
That's the cool part.

Using the patches will keep you free long enough to break the habit by curbing the nicotine crave.

It works for most.

Don't be afraid of trying hypnotism if the patches fail.
Seems to be a proven method of success.
Sep 05, 2008, 09:48 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
21 hours so far, and this time something is different.... Being able to come here to RCG and talk about it. Letting down your family should be enough, but it hasn't been in the past, very difficult endeavor, please don't start smoking. Letting down the people here, failing as a role model to perhaps thousands of kids, feeling the shame of failing in your eyes.

Mornings will be the worst, that first cigarette and a cup of coffee... old friends. But some friends are not good for us, time to cut him loose, murder him. I am keeping my good friend coffee though, love that guy.

foam.
Sep 05, 2008, 11:33 AM
Back in black............
good for you foam. Been there so I know how hard it is. Now I cant even stand the smell of.

Mike

P.S. we want a report every day. Gona keep you on the straight and level bud.
Sep 05, 2008, 11:40 AM
Prefectionist
agree, I'd like you to report in daily to. Support is a good tool.
Sep 05, 2008, 12:26 PM
Foam.....I could use a support partner

Ken
Sep 05, 2008, 12:43 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassman
Foam.....I could use a support partner

Ken
Pleased to hear from you Ken

I am here for you man, check out this other threadStopped smoking . There are some good stories and advice.

Lots of good support here at RCG, beyond RC. We all want what's best for each other, what a great place.

PM on the way.

foam.

Quick Reply