Sep 04, 2008, 10:41 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Contest

Scratch-Build-Off-3 Firecrest

This will be an entry for Build-Off III.

I'm going to try for 1/10.

I'll have more details after the week-end.

DJM
Last edited by mrdj; Nov 23, 2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Title
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2008, 10:49 AM
Nice !!
Sep 04, 2008, 11:03 AM
Airplane crasher
OOOOOOOO another gull wing. I like it
Sep 04, 2008, 03:14 PM
Looks good, and unlike the Corsair, those short retracts don't have to swivel.
John
Sep 05, 2008, 11:07 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Quote:
Looks good, and unlike the Corsair, those short retracts don't have to swivel.
John
The real trick is the gear doors. They slide down as the gear retracts. I can't ignore them completely, they're too big and would alter the look on approach.

If it was easy....

djm
Sep 05, 2008, 01:51 PM
Never seen this airplane before. Looks like the unfortunate result of a Sea Fury and a Corsair being hangared together.....

Great choice, I'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

sp
Sep 09, 2008, 01:34 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
I have a plan. I'm starting to combine the sketches on scraps of paper with the 3-view. One concern though, is there a simple method for determining the CG on a swept/tapered wing. I seem to reacll something out there, but it escapes me at the moment.
Sep 09, 2008, 09:30 PM

CG Calculator

djm:
If you do a web search for "Center of Gravity calculator "you will get several hits. I've used this one a few times:
http://www.scaleaero.com/CG_Calculator.htm.
There a a lot of approximations here, but the calculations give a good starting point, 6.38 inches form the leading edge at the root.
Naturally you will want to try all this yourself.
John
Sep 09, 2008, 09:56 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Excellent! This is just what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Sep 13, 2008, 05:27 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.

Image dump

Here's some more pictures.

Quote:
Never seen this airplane before. Looks like the unfortunate result of a Sea Fury and a Corsair being hangared together
I think of it as a Skyraider fuselage, Sea Fury engine, with Harvard wings on a Corsair spar.
Nov 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
I was going to build a chuck glider, but felt I could learn more with a basic model.

18" span, rubber power

Best of luck to all involved in BO III, and a thank you to scratchnhover for the great effort in putting this together.

DJM
Nov 29, 2008, 01:05 PM
Fly2Build.com
Terrific choice and hope the 5 blader makes it onto the model. Will be watching intently.

Mike
Nov 29, 2008, 01:09 PM
The wings are not on fire
The small rubber powered model looks cute. You could make an RC indoor version of it

Best of luck!

Tom
Dec 02, 2008, 11:33 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.
Quote:
hope the 5 blader makes it onto the model
Looking at the numbers, the diameter should be 15.2" I'll have to make some calls to find a suitable motor setup with enough torque. Any suggestions welcome.

I think seeing a big 5-blader at lower rpms would be a great effect, espcially on short final with everything hanging.

DJM
Dec 02, 2008, 01:18 PM
Nice, unusual subject, and a decent size mrdj

You could go with a Ramoser varioprop 5 blade hub (12C hub), and Ramoser scale 15.2" blades. Not exactly cheap, though. Sorry, haven't looked at suitable motors.

If you decide to scale it down somewhat, Manzanos 5 blade hub for the FSK blades would be a good choice. Sparky used the E-flight 480 910kv motor on the 6 blade version of his YO-3A, so one less blade and slightly higher kv should work equally well.

T