Sep 04, 2008, 12:37 AM
Registered Abuser
Thread OP
Discussion

How to make servo covers?

Hey guys, I need to make 5 servo covers or servo shields out of light plastic to keep oil off them..
How would one make such a thing? Thought about using packaging from something from walmart or thin pvc..
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2008, 01:05 AM
It is not so much the covers, it is the gasketing and mounting that will cause the most frustration. Small grommets will make effective push rod seals. Silicone sealant is a good gasket material and can be easily removed. Most depends on where they are mounted and how much space you have to work with.
Sep 04, 2008, 01:16 AM
Registered Abuser
Thread OP
Well, this is a profile, the servos are 80% exposed to air. Im using HS-55's,JR 241's and a JR 185.. they probably arnt sealed either. The best way to prevent oil to getting them is to build a shield out of plastic over them.
Sep 04, 2008, 06:20 AM
Closed Account
The best way is to convert the plane to electric.
Sep 04, 2008, 09:24 AM
Registered Abuser
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Williams
The best way is to convert the plane to electric.
No. Im converting it from electric to glow.
Sep 04, 2008, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs
Hey guys, I need to make 5 servo covers or servo shields out of light plastic to keep oil off them..
How would one make such a thing? Thought about using packaging from something from walmart or thin pvc..
can you post a couple of pictures where you want the servo covers to go ?
Sep 04, 2008, 03:09 PM
Try searching about using drinks bottles (those 2 litre jobs) for making canopies. The same process could easily be used for other shapes. The only downside may be that the boxes are see through unless painted or covered in sticky plastic covering.

Basically the bottom or top part of the bottle is cut off, a mould of the object (canopy) is placed inside on a plinth to get it close to the plastic. The lot is then put in an oven and because the bottle is blown to shape in a mould it tries to shrink back to its original shape, when heated, and moulds itself around the template.
Sep 04, 2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Abuser
Thread OP
I dont have any pictures yet. It needs to be 1.25" wide, .5" tall and cover up two HS-55's sitting side by side. I also need to cover 4 other individual micro servos..

I thought about making a mold and using the soda bottle trick, but I dont have any hardwood or plaster of paris to make a mold..
Sep 04, 2008, 08:42 PM
The suggestion to use a large drink bottle is a good one.
Just get a block of wood that is a little bigger than the servos you want to cover.
Shape it a little bit to knock off the sharp corners.
Cut the top and bottom off the bottle so all you have left is the flat middle section.
Cut it in half length wise then cut it in half again so you end up with four square pieces.
I would use a heat gun instead of the oven but use what ever heat source you want, the plastic will soften at fairly low heat and you can form it to your mold.
After a couple of tries you should be able to figure out how to make the covers and even put a lip on them so you can use screws or tape to hold them in place.
Use a 7-Up bottle and you will have a nice green cover.
Sep 04, 2008, 09:43 PM
I have used balsa as a plug with this method. It does shrink somewhat and you may have to dig the balsa plug out but it will work OK.
Sep 05, 2008, 08:27 AM
Are you doing this for aesthetic reasons or are you more worried about protecting the servos from oil? The reason I ask is I have several nitro planes with exposed servos (all Hitec) in the tails. They get quite a bit of oil on them. I've been flying the planes for years, hundreds of flights without issue. Many nitro planes are designed with exposed servos and no cover/protection.

Of course, if you're flying off water...that's a different issue. But is oil really a big concern?
Sep 05, 2008, 08:58 AM
Registered Abuser
Thread OP
Im trying to protect them from oil. These micro servos really arnt designed for glow flight (or so it appears)

The larger standard servos would survive though
Sep 05, 2008, 09:30 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
When I used to fly glow, we usually fitted deflector tubes, (extension exhaust tubes), to the exhaust to direct most of the 'gunk' away from the model.

Depending on where your exhaust points, you may only need to protect that side. Probably you would only need something like tape over the servo to deflect the oil mist. If the servos are underneath, any oil getting onto the servo arm should drip off, servos on top may need better protection.
Sep 05, 2008, 10:21 AM
Registered Abuser
Thread OP
Yeah, I have a few of those tubes, they make my engines run poor for reason.
This is the plane..

http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=294

I know what Im already going to be told. Yes, I am well aware that it is electric, and glow makes more vibration and yada yada yada....not interested in hearing that
Sep 06, 2008, 07:28 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Am I right in thinking that it's only the throttle, elevator, and rudder servos that are exposed, (aileron servo(s) are in the wing?).

If so, why not mount the elevator and rudder servos on the 'clean' side of the fuselage, and possibly the throttle servo as well, and perhaps use a dog-legged push rod to the throttle?

Glow motor do often run hotter with extension tube, we used to use fairly large bore silicon tube and keep it as short as possible, usually pointing straight down.

Quick Reply