Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:28 AM
Rickn816 is offline
Find More Posts by Rickn816
RCHN #150
Rickn816's Avatar
Yea, well I had my Furion 6 inverted and hit throttle hold. That was exciting. Now my telemetry is programmed to yell at me if the head speed drops below a set value.

Rick
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:28 AM
karl k is offline
Find More Posts by karl k
Yes, "that" Karl...
karl k's Avatar
I'm sure we've all hit a switch accidentally during a flight. I was playing around with the E640 doing pitch pumps to check the tail holding power and hit my flight mode switch while switching from full negative to positive pitch. This dropped the head speed from 2300 to 2050 and made me think I put the ESC into overcurrent shutdown.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:59 PM
AtomicFlyer is online now
Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Close enough
AtomicFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
You can make the argument that once you reach a certain point, you program out "normal" mode. Realistically, how often do you use it?

Grampa Tony
That is a very valid point. I don't actually "use" normal mode. Last season I would leave the flight mode switch in idle-up and I would flip out of throttle hold to spool up. This season, I started taking off in normal mode and then switch into idle up once in a hover. But I usually hit throttle hold a foot off the ground to land.

My bigger problem may be that I'm the only heli pilot in my very small club and I have a little voice in my head that says to invert the heli as soon as possible to get a crowd reaction. I may need to work on that personality defect.

Marc
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:10 PM
dswitkin is offline
Find More Posts by dswitkin
Registered User
dswitkin's Avatar
Resist the urge to show off, it rarely ends well.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:34 PM
AtomicFlyer is online now
Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Close enough
AtomicFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Resist the urge to show off, it rarely ends well.
Sound advice. I wish I could promise to heed it.

Marc
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:46 PM
Hance is offline
Find More Posts by Hance
Expo is built into my thumbs
Hance's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswitkin View Post
Resist the urge to show off, it rarely ends well.
Yup. If you ever hear somebody say "Hey guys watch this" you darn well better watch. Odds are its going to be expensive and spectacular.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:30 PM
Endlesslag is offline
Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
I didn't say one more flight or watch this for this one, though I almost got taken out by a football:
1/2/13 Hexacopter flight -GoPro Hero 3 (3 min 27 sec)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:09 AM
dougbo is online now
Find More Posts by dougbo
Proverbs 12:15
dougbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
You can make the argument that once you reach a certain point, you program out "normal" mode. Realistically, how often do you use it?
I still use "normal" mode for a few reasons:

1. old school, I started on a nitro FP heli with an airplane radio - no such thing as throttle hold

2. safety, throttle stick held at 0 by thumb, "normal" mode and TH switch on gives me multiple off switches thus if one is bumped (in theory) the heli should stay put

3. when doing a maiden (insert your own joke here) "normal" mode is usually a tame headspeed and if anything goes wrong on spool up or first hover I can put the thing on the ground ASAP. Yes, hitting TH would accomplish the same thing - see #1 old school (I tend to move the throttle/collective stick before hitting TH)

I'm all for doing whatever you're comfortable with so it is all good.

Doug B.
Last edited by dougbo; Jan 03, 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:10 AM
dougbo is online now
Find More Posts by dougbo
Proverbs 12:15
dougbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Yup. If you ever hear somebody say "Hey guys watch this" you darn well better watch. Odds are its going to be expensive and spectacular.
I appreciate Hance flying lower when I gently suggest that he fly lower...

Doug B.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:06 AM
annarelli is offline
Find More Posts by annarelli
Grampa Tony
annarelli's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo View Post
I still use "normal" mode for a few reasons:

1. old school, I started on a nitro FP heli with an airplane radio - no such thing as throttle hold

2. safety, throttle stick held at 0 by thumb, "normal" mode and TH switch on gives me multiple off switches thus if one is bumped (in theory) the heli should stay put

3. when doing a maiden (insert your own joke here) "normal" mode is usually a tame headspeed and if anything goes wrong on spool up or first hover I can put the thing on the ground ASAP. Yes, hitting TH would accomplish the same thing - see #1 old school (I tend to move the throttle/collective stick before hitting TH)

I'm all for doing whatever you're comfortable with so it is all good.

Doug B.
All good points. I do the belt & suspenders thing myself when I walk to the flight line - heli in right hand with ring finger on anti-rotation bracket (so it won't spin as I'm walking), and transmitter in left hand. Thumb holds throttle at 0, flight mode set to normal, and throttle hold on. I've also got my 500 set up (and will soon do the same to my others) so that the ESC doesn't initialize until I move the throttle trim to almost 0 - and I don't do that until I get to the flight line. The internal BEC is energized as soon as you connect the main battery, so the only thing that isn't armed is the motor.

I'm not saying you SHOULD program out normal mode, I'm just saying it can be a viable option. You'd just have to program in other compensating controls.

Grampa Tony
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:39 AM
IFLYOS is online now
Find More Posts by IFLYOS
14s 180mah should be enough...
IFLYOS's Avatar
FYI...Tram's (Superfly company owner) house burned down last night/this morning. Keep him in your thoughts/prayers
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:34 AM
Pickle72 is offline
Find More Posts by Pickle72
Matt Mabry
Pickle72's Avatar
Oh no!
Praying for him and his family.

Matt
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:41 PM
Rickn816 is offline
Find More Posts by Rickn816
RCHN #150
Rickn816's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
All good points. I do the belt & suspenders thing myself when I walk to the flight line - heli in right hand with ring finger on anti-rotation bracket (so it won't spin as I'm walking), and transmitter in left hand. Thumb holds throttle at 0, flight mode set to normal, and throttle hold on. I've also got my 500 set up (and will soon do the same to my others) so that the ESC doesn't initialize until I move the throttle trim to almost 0 - and I don't do that until I get to the flight line. The internal BEC is energized as soon as you connect the main battery, so the only thing that isn't armed is the motor.

I'm not saying you SHOULD program out normal mode, I'm just saying it can be a viable option. You'd just have to program in other compensating controls.

Grampa Tony
If you are flying electric, there is no need to use a throttle curve that is not "flat" - let the governor handle the head speed. If you want multiple head speeds, use the flight mode switch to set the curve at the percentages recommended by the governor. Use throttle hold to set the ESC to "off." Your Tx turns the motor on, and it turns it off. Let the governor do the rest. And yes. an external governorconnected through your FBL unit works better than the one in your ESC.

Rick
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:08 PM
dougbo is online now
Find More Posts by dougbo
Proverbs 12:15
dougbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
I'm not saying you SHOULD program out normal mode, I'm just saying it can be a viable option. You'd just have to program in other compensating controls.
Right, hopefully my post didn't read like you were advocating removing normal mode. That was not my goal at all.

I'm a big fan of using a method that is comfortable and familiar ... 'cause when things go wrong it'll be your muscle memory that shuts it down.

Edit: forgot to mention that yes, I am weird, I run governor in all 3 flight modes: normal, idleup1 and idleup2.

It's all good.

Doug B.
Last edited by dougbo; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: forgot
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:49 PM
Appfan is offline
Find More Posts by Appfan
Cowboy up...
Appfan's Avatar
Did anyone else catch this on engadget.com today?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/03/b...ds-on/?m=false

Perfect for those "unexpected" landings in the deep corn. As small as it is, you could move from frame to frame as you switch-up aircraft.

Thread Tools