AllThingsThatFly podcast - Listen - Page 1347 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 31, 2011, 02:04 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
GFBurke's Avatar
nice vids!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2011, 03:53 PM
Proverbs 12:15
dougbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen
Another source for 24volt chargers is www.progressiverc.com - give David a call and he'll set ya up with a charging setup that will last you
+1, for David. My bad, I forgot to add his site to my list. He stands behind his product (I know from experience) & ships quickly.

Doug B.
May 31, 2011, 05:03 PM
hmph!
ASB32's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Dadde,

1st EXCELLENT video man! That was great footage.

I also feel you couldn't have chosen a better time to post it. It shows how FPV can be done safe and responsible. You were INVITED to shoot this coverage and you did so in a very safe manner. I didn't once cringe thinking how dangerous and irresponsible the pilot was being. It is nice but unfortunate there are huge contrasts in your video and the other. Keep up the great work, and hopefully more FPV pilots will use your films as an example of how it SHOULD be done.
Diggs
Exactly.

I actually like some of the limits BlackSheep push. Flying up and down the Matterhorn rocks and is pushing the limits. Flying through security gates, traffic, occupied tunnels, etc...etc... and on and on...Well, not so much.
May 31, 2011, 10:51 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
Homies,

I got a Blade 120 SR for my birthday:



It's pretty sweet. I think I'm hooked on helis again. Flying it conventionally...I wish I started off with one instead of a Esky King.

A question...I'm a newb with DSM 2. Will the zapper that came with it control one of these?

Jun 01, 2011, 02:59 AM
Registered User
@Dadde = Awesome, just ordering my GoPro today, will be experimenting with some of my planes this weekend, :-)
Jun 01, 2011, 03:11 AM
Proverbs 12:15
dougbo's Avatar

which one?


GoPro HD or Contour GPS? I like the idea of having GPS info with my video or pictures. I think HPP has a GoPro HD and a Contour.

Doug B.
Jun 01, 2011, 03:26 AM
Registered User
{edit} i was wrong, the GPS is also 1080, i love the BT connection to use as a viewfinder, :-) - Im getting a killer deal on the GoPro, getting the HD for the same price as the 960 as the vendor had a mistake on the website and they have responded that they will honour it, :-).

Would be interesting to know if you could hack the Contour's GPS and get the output from it to use it for navigation / autopilot.

@Dadde, was autopilot something you ever looked at? Would be awesome programming your rig to a specific flight path and then sitting back and watching as it does its thing.
Last edited by Bobbo; Jun 01, 2011 at 03:39 AM.
Jun 01, 2011, 04:05 AM
Chillin till SEFF
bildo baggins's Avatar
Can NOT sleep in to save my butt!
Jun 01, 2011, 07:42 AM
Registered User
rcdude07's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
Homies,

I got a Blade 120 SR for my birthday:



It's pretty sweet. I think I'm hooked on helis again. Flying it conventionally...I wish I started off with one instead of a Esky King.

A question...I'm a newb with DSM 2. Will the zapper that came with it control one of these?


Yes it will, but not well. You will need EXPO to fly the UM planes from HH and the toy TXes that come with their RTFs do not have EXPO. If you bind it to that TX from the SR 120 you will find yourself not having fun and more than likely not staying in the air with the UM Mosquito. I strongly recommend at least a DX6i for flying the HH ultra micro planes. It truly is all about the EXPO on these little birds.
Jun 01, 2011, 08:39 AM
fmidgett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo
GoPro HD or Contour GPS? I like the idea of having GPS info with my video or pictures. I think HPP has a GoPro HD and a Contour.

Doug B.
Both have their pros and cons. I talk about them in the vids I did to go along with the article I wrote for MA this month. See them here. Keep in mind I have the original ContourHD that only has one mode. The Contour GPS has many modes and is more more capable but not as simple to set up as the original.
Last edited by fmidgett; Jun 01, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
Jun 01, 2011, 09:12 AM
Thermal Chaser
Homesick_Angel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k
Diggs is the enemy this forum needs....








...He's like Batman.
Nah...that's me.
Jun 01, 2011, 09:27 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmidgett
Both have their pros and cons. I talk about them in the vids I did to go along with the article I wrote for MA this month. See them here. Keep in mind I have the original ContourHD that only has one mode. The Contour GPS has many modes and is more more capable but not as simple to set up as the original.
Thanks Fred, busy downloading now, i was sold seeing Dadde's latest vids, hope i did'nt make a mistake (based on my expected usage).
Jun 01, 2011, 09:47 AM
The one and only
dadde's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Dadde,

1st EXCELLENT video man! That was great footage.

I also feel you couldn't have chosen a better time to post it. It shows how FPV can be done safe and responsible. You were INVITED to shoot this coverage and you did so in a very safe manner. I didn't once cringe thinking how dangerous and irresponsible the pilot was being. It is nice but unfortunate there are huge contrasts in your video and the other. Keep up the great work, and hopefully more FPV pilots will use your films as an example of how it SHOULD be done.


Diggs
Thank you Diggs. I'm always striving to by as safe as I can but still get great footage. I think it's the location and composing that should give you and the viewer a thrill. Not how dangerous the shot is.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo
which one?
GoPro HD or Contour GPS? I like the idea of having GPS info with my video or pictures. I think HPP has a GoPro HD and a Contour.

Doug B.
Contour does not have a live SD output which means that you can't use it as a FPV camera. But if you're going to use a separate FPV cam the Contour has excellent video quality, even a tiny better than the GoPro in my opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo
@Dadde, was autopilot something you ever looked at? Would be awesome programming your rig to a specific flight path and then sitting back and watching as it does its thing.
Nope. A autopilot will only take you from point A to B. It will not compose a nice looking video I can fly from A to B my self and get good video while doing it. It's also less stuff that can go wrong, less money in the air and less weight to carry around. I'm all about the video and a autopilot doesn't help me to get awesome footage.
Jun 01, 2011, 09:50 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
karl k's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo
GoPro HD or Contour GPS? I like the idea of having GPS info with my video or pictures. I think HPP has a GoPro HD and a Contour.

Doug B.
It depends what you're using it for.

I have the Contour HD 1080. My original purpose for it was as a helmet cam. I like the low profile of it. I still use it on board my planes. It's fairly sleek and mounts tight to the plane. It does not have video out, though.

The GoPro is nice for the video out available with some mods. Makes it very useful for FPV.

If you plan on using it on the water or under water, keep in mind that an extra case would need to be purchased for the Contour, where the GoPro is already waterproof.
Jun 01, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
karl k's Avatar
Speaking of dangerous places to fly and helicopters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDj8M18qTpw