This thread is privately moderated by ATTF, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 20, 2011, 11:01 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_
Dude you went beyond brown nosing them @ SEFF. You went buttsnorkeling.
Ahahahahaha!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2011, 11:10 PM
Master of the Touch and Tumble
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity
Phone got soaked in water.
Iphone4 or droid?
I would consider the droid just so I could run this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1322721
Apr 20, 2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rider
How easy was it to transition from the DX7 to the A9? I think I'll keep my DX7 for the micro BNF, but I think I'm leaning toward the A9 vs the DX8 for my next transmitter.
I have to say that the trick in switching and getting the most out of the radio is understanding flight conditions and what they can do for you.
Apr 21, 2011, 01:49 AM
Proverbs 12:15
Wow, the ATTF thread really came to life. HK, Tx brands & farm subsidy.

The HK thing has been beat down so I'll pass on that one. Support the company that makes you happy. All I can say is it is good to have choices.

I don't know enough about China backing their factories to compare it to the US farm subsidy Moose mentioned. I do know that US farm subsidies are a complicated beast so the comparison seems to be apples & oranges IMHO. Of course I'm pretty sure every state in the US or A has "helped" businesses with various perks to attract or keep businesses in the state. The new Boeing plant in South Carolina comes to mind - if memory serves $400M worth of incentives. Thus the Chinese government helping out factories doesn't seem to be that big of a deal unless I'm missing something.

Doug B.
Apr 21, 2011, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo
Wow, the ATTF thread really came to life. HK, Tx brands & farm subsidy.

The HK thing has been beat down so I'll pass on that one. Support the company that makes you happy. All I can say is it is good to have choices.

I don't know enough about China backing their factories to compare it to the US farm subsidy Moose mentioned. I do know that US farm subsidies are a complicated beast so the comparison seems to be apples & oranges IMHO. Of course I'm pretty sure every state in the US or A has "helped" businesses with various perks to attract or keep businesses in the state. The new Boeing plant in South Carolina comes to mind - if memory serves $400M worth of incentives. Thus the Chinese government helping out factories doesn't seem to be that big of a deal unless I'm missing something.

Doug B.
The point of me bringing up the Chinese government subsidizing their factories was to point out that THAT's the main reason HK's prices are so low...not simply because they're "doing better or smarter" business or somehow figured out how to have much lower margins.
Latest blog entry: Czech Mate Motor/Cowl
Apr 21, 2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPtero
Moose,
Started assembly of your Jenny yet? I did the empennage and am having problems getting the control wires to not rub in the fuselage. Think I'm going to lengthen the servo slots so the center of the control arms are centered side to side in the fuselage. I think that will solve my problem.
--
Tom
I didn't get a Jenny. I only bought a Venon 50mm &45 EDF from Mac's.

(however I have started assembling my Sebart Pitts Python) <excited!>
Latest blog entry: Czech Mate Motor/Cowl
Apr 21, 2011, 05:57 AM
It's gone...
Plus they purposely devalue their currency which allows our dollar to buy more.
Look this stuff up. All the info you need is out there. Just because you choose to overlook the inconvenient details doesn't mean they don't exist.
Apr 21, 2011, 06:04 AM
Did you get it on video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose
The point of me bringing up the Chinese government subsidizing their factories was to point out that THAT's the main reason HK's prices are so low...not simply because they're "doing better or smarter" business or somehow figured out how to have much lower margins.
But you can't blame HK for that, any more than you can blame Walmart for having cheaper prices because the Chinese factories their products come from are subsidized by the Chinese government.
Apr 21, 2011, 06:05 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_
Plus they purposely devalue their currency which allows our dollar to buy more.
Look this stuff up. All the info you need is out there. Just because you choose to overlook the inconvenient details doesn't mean they don't exist.
Also keep in mind that the vast majority of products come from China if you like it or not, this isn't just a HK issue. Scorpion motors are made in the same place, as are most of the lipos and other RC products we use.

Many countries devalue their dollar for trade, or have credits and programs to aid certain industries. Again not a China only issue.

Not defending what China does, but seems to be a lot of finger pointing in order to defend certain views.

The bigger issue is that North America sold out local jobs for cheaper products. We caused this as much as anyone so I think we need to look internally first. Walmart and other big box stores took over many small businesses as they could underprice things and people flocked to buy them. This is the same thing.
Apr 21, 2011, 06:07 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey
But you can't blame HK for that, any more than you can blame Walmart for having cheaper prices because the Chinese factories their products come from are subsidized by the Chinese government.
Exactly. Why to you think Lucien buys his stuff from China and not from a US manufacturer? Same reason HK does, its cheaper and he can make more off them. The bulk of all products come out of China now, so not sure why HK is the foucs beyond some not likign them, be that justified or not, for some unstated reasons.
Apr 21, 2011, 06:12 AM
KJ4YNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose
I didn't get a Jenny. I only bought a Venon 50mm &45 EDF from Mac's.

(however I have started assembling my Sebart Pitts Python) <excited!>
Hmmm. I thought someone told me you did.

The Python looks a lot like the Seagull Ultimate I got from my Nephew last time I was in Ohio. I still need to finish electrifying it. I've the motor mounted, but need to figure out how I'm going to do the battery hatch.

--
Tom
Apr 21, 2011, 06:14 AM
Did you get it on video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000
Exactly. Why to you think Lucien buys his stuff from China and not from a US manufacturer? Same reason HK does, its cheaper and he can make more off them. The bulk of all products come out of China now, so not sure why HK is the foucs beyond some not likign them, be that justified or not, for some unstated reasons.
I don't think that it's so he can "make more off them" as much as if he had them made here in the states, the price difference would be so great, he couldn't compete in the market.
Apr 21, 2011, 06:15 AM
It's gone...
your point is not lost on me. Its very difficult for a company to be "Made in the USA" because the US gov't has made the business environment very unfriendly here.

The reason why there is a lot of finger pointing at HK is because of their, visibility and flagrant use of questionable business practices.

In the end they exist because they know 80% of us only care about price.

Time for me to go to work now.
Apr 21, 2011, 06:17 AM
It's gone...
One more thing. Who owns Scorpion and who is the US distributor?
Apr 21, 2011, 06:20 AM
Did you get it on video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000
so not sure why HK is the focus beyond some not liking them, be that justified or not, for some unstated reasons.
I'd say, because they are the obvious leader of that pack right now. They have grown so huge, they can afford to sell at prices lower than anyone else. They are the RC equivalent of Walmart. They are selling to a world wide market, and selling out. So they are obviously able to purchase enormous quantities of each product, and thus get the financial breaks that come from that.

There's just no way that smaller companies can compete with that. Even someone like Horizon, who is a large retailer, I don't think they're turning over product at anywhere near the same rate as HK, so their wholesale costs are going to start higher.

Quick Reply