Mar 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Subsonic,
I had something identical happen on my AMR. In my case a servo (not a Hitec) developed an internal short, overloaded the BEC and the BEC shut down taking away all power from both RC and the motor. I was lucky too and got away with just a dislodged landing gear leg.

I initially thought either the BEC or Rx had gone bad but when I unplugged one of the servos it all started to work again, soon as i plugged the servo back in it all locked up again. I replaced the servo and it's been fine ever since.

It's certainly not a brown-out because they are just caused by a momentary voltage drop and everything would have started working again by the time you walked over to the crashed model. It could conceivebly be a bad BEC or Rx as I initially thought was the case with my failure but try unplugging the servos first.. i bet that fixes it.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
Build Something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No
No, that doesn't sound like a simple brown out. It should have at least returned to the failsafe position, even with no valid signal. Maybe if one servo was stalled, with the motor still drawing its stall current, that would mean the voltage wasn't able to recover so the CPU flashed an error code after the BOR (reboot).
Well, all the servos were buzzing after the event, but only because they were all stuck at between 50 – 100% of throw. There’s no binding anywhere eiter, but maybe all those deflected servos was enough to keep the BEC over current, sustaining the brownout? It’s a stretch, but I can’t think of anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Subsonic, I had something identical happen on my AMR. In my case a servo (not a Hitec) developed an internal short, overloaded the BEC and the BEC shut down taking away all power from both RC and the motor. I was lucky too and got away with just a dislodged landing gear leg.

I initially thought either the BEC or Rx had gone bad but when I unplugged one of the servos it all started to work again, soon as i plugged the servo back in it all locked up again. I replaced the servo and it's been fine ever since.

It's certainly not a brown-out because they are just caused by a momentary voltage drop and everything would have started working again by the time you walked over to the crashed model. It could conceivebly be a bad BEC or Rx as I initially thought was the case with my failure but try unplugging the servos first.. i bet that fixes it.

Steve
Thanks for your response. I’ve had that exact type of failure before, when a servo dies. In fact, twice before with these HS5065s. This time though, all servos are performing normally after I reset the battery.

I’m still confused, but with the lack of any better knowledge on the subject, I think I’ll just check out all the servos one more time, fit a 5A BEC and continue flying it. Maybe I’ll rig up a current meter from the BEC. Hmmmm.

Sub
Mar 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
RC Mafia: The Hit is on
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo
Hey Guys... Here's my new video featuring all of the PA planes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScBqi_JEXU
Michael, sorry for the late reply. I have been really busy lately with Baby in the Park and the job.

Fantastic video. Especially the AMR sequence made my day. Gosh, I love that plane.

Thanks for this. You are really on the roll.
Mar 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
Build Something

Good news...

...is that I think I managed to solve my issue with loss of RC control of my AMR. After checking out and finding that all the servos were OK, I fitted this rather large BEC and all ops were normal for Saturday's flying. I put four packs through it, and everything worked as expected. No brown outs.
Mar 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
They Call him Dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic
...is that I think I managed to solve my issue with loss of RC control of my AMR. After checking out and finding that all the servos were OK, I fitted this rather large BEC and all ops were normal for Saturday's flying. I put four packs through it, and everything worked as expected. No brown outs.
I see it supplies 7.4 volts. Are you able to dial that back for non HD servos?
Mar 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
Build Something
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead
I see it supplies 7.4 volts. Are you able to dial that back for non HD servos?
Nah, it makes 5V or 6V selectable via a jumper on the side. I have it set to 6V for the HS5065MGs
Mar 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
They Call him Dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo
Hey Guys... Here's my new video featuring all of the PA planes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScBqi_JEXU
Looks Like I missed that too. Really great video Micheal! Of course the music didn't hurt either
Mar 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
Build Something
...On the last pack of the day (isn't it always on the last pack) I was doing some low rolling harrier circles at about 10', quite close in. I just lost concentration for a moment in the third quarter of the circle, and found myself just about 1/4 of a roll behind in the stick movements. – (I actually find the AMR to require quite an advanced input to maintain a straight line in a roller for some reason), but anyway - I froze, and pushed out inverted (correct), then for some reason tried to pull into upright again from about 10' (incorrect). The result is best described in the pictures, but the whole area that locates the top and bottom wings, firewall, rear fuselage and battery tray is matchsticks. Both wings are damaged at their mount points too.

I don't think I'll try and repair this one. At least not right away. Overnight I removed all the components and am thinking about my next 3D airplane. I did very much enjoy the AMR for as long as I had it. It was a fragile and temperamental beast, but when it was on song, was quite an honest flyer. Very light on the wings and quite nice straight lines as well for such a small plane. I’ve always been impressed by the power system with so much on tap it really makes people question if it’s more than a little 3S 2200 in there. I still have the motor etc, so am wondering what it would fit nicely into.

Anyway, on to better things...

Sub
Mar 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
They Call him Dead!
That....Is a Bummer
Mar 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
x2 that sucks...i would go out an buy another AMR if it were me, enjoy this plane too much.
Mar 25, 2012, 11:10 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic
I still have the motor etc, so am wondering what it would fit nicely into.

Sub
...Bandit...
Mar 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
RC Pilot / Photographer
just ordered a green AMR, and first PA airplane. Subscribed.
Mar 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
Team Twisted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =-
just ordered a green AMR, and first PA airplane. Subscribed.
Uh oh watch out for this guy!!

I'm just playing Gyro.
Mar 26, 2012, 12:01 AM
RC Pilot / Photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er
Uh oh watch out for this guy!!

I'm just playing Gyro.
why, cause I bash the crap out of the HK Slick junker?

Great... I'm getting reputation...
Mar 26, 2012, 02:24 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
Very sad pictures sub.. I know the feeling. My red AMR had a very similar fate. Sorry for the loss mate. Now do we see a Bandit in your future

Quick Reply