Jul 17, 2011, 08:38 PM
really? the extra has been cake so far only issues i have is coming in for a smooth landing
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2011, 08:48 PM
They Call him Dead!
Th ulimate is very gentle with low rates. You should not have a problem sprt flying it...
Jul 17, 2011, 10:04 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Last edited by C_Watkins; Jul 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Dupe post. Weird.
Jul 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead
Th ulimate is very gentle with low rates. You should not have a problem sprt flying it...
/agreed!
Heck, I'll post what I posted somewhere else:

Got my first flights in today, and I absolutely LOVE this plane!

If I ever do learn any 3D (With a FOAMY first!) I'll hit high rates and it can do it all, but even as a sport flyer it is phenomenal.
It will obviously do anything I'm capable of, including greasing in those landings.
I only flew it a couple times today, the "maiden," and one followup, after increasing recommended low rates by 15%.
Both times I was able to make a nice slick landing. Paved runway for the first one, and a high alpha onto the grass for the second.
This thing will land unbelievably slow, with zero bad tendencies. I had a feather light touchdown into about a 1 foot roll.
Made me feel pro
(I'm assuming nobody noticed my knees knocking. First time I've flown a $nice$ plane in about 6 yrs.)

Anyhow... yeah, I'm glad I was swayed into a bipe. I had always avoided them like the plague.
This thing rocks.
Jul 18, 2011, 10:54 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102
really? the extra has been cake so far only issues i have is coming in for a smooth landing
Shadow,

I agree with the guys, the AMR though in no way a trainer can be a docile plane to fly if you set low rates and go easy on the throttle...
But I would get a few more weeks of practice on the foamy Extra before you risk the AMR. Certainly you want to have your landing technique nailed before you even think about it.
While the AMR is in some ways easier to fly than the Extra (especially when it comes to slow speed handling) what it wont do is survive a crash nearly so well. Foam has the ability to absorb pretty hard impact with only a few cosmetic creases and compression marks. Even after a major crash on a foamy some gorilla glue and tape can have the model back in the air with minimum cost or effort (albeit looking a bit rough). Do the same with a balsa/ply model and you end up with serious and expensive damage, possibly a total write off... so best not to crash in the first place.

Steve
Jul 26, 2011, 04:29 PM
I just wanted to let You know that I've gotten my AMR happily tearing up the skies again after the motor box failure. I'm so happy! It feels just the same as before with a tendency of veering to the left. I will adjust this and it's all good again.

Thank you all for Your support! And thanks PA for making spare parts available.
/M
Jul 26, 2011, 05:21 PM
I'm torquing to you!
I know the feeling. I've nearly got mine back together after trashing the fuselage due to equipment failure (cold solder joint). This weekend she should be up again.
Jul 26, 2011, 09:56 PM
Mine is ready to go....have the DX8 upgrade issue under control...fly mine again (after repairing the bottom wing and fuse, after radio issue) soon....want to get comfortable with the radio first.
Jul 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
Good luck!!!
Aug 02, 2011, 03:28 PM
Heavy thinker..I mean tinkerer

14x7 prop

I don't know if this has been addressed before or not but, when I use the 14x7 vox wood prop, the thrust 40 motor has a hard time spooling up sometimes, when it happens in the air its a little freaky, so I've been just using the 13x6.5 prop.
Is it just me, or has this happened to anybody else w/ the 14x7?
thanks
Aug 02, 2011, 03:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I use the 14x7 with the T40 motor on both my X and the AMR and I do not have that issue. A video would be helpful to see what is going on; have you been able to recreate the problem on the ground or does it only happen in the air?
Aug 02, 2011, 03:58 PM
Build Something
Mine used to "stutter" on startup. It was a problem with the esc. PA replaced it.

It should just go when commanded or something is wrong. Can you put the esc on another motor, or swap in a different esc for a test? That will tell you if it's the motor or the esc that's the problem.

sub.
Aug 02, 2011, 04:02 PM
What will happen if ....Oh....
14x7 works for me too. More detail on the problem would help. Is it making any unusual noises or does the motor just seem to lack the power to spool it up quickly?

I would dip the motor and speedy bullet connectors in cleaning alcohol to make sure there is no flux left on them, and double check the prop is spinning freely with no resistance or interference from anything.
Aug 02, 2011, 04:08 PM
Another important thing is, to try to use a throttle trim, so the prop is always spinning, this will give you better throttle response! and its supossed to be easier on your ESC too! I have been doing this now for a long time, and the throttle response is improved!
Aug 02, 2011, 04:26 PM
What will happen if ....Oh....
Dan, do you use a throttle hold switch to cut the motor on landing, or just trim down again?

I have wanted to set up my planes with throttle hold for a long time now, because it is a great safety device, and it is second nature now for me to hit the hold switch after flying heli's for a few years.

Quick Reply