Aug 30, 2008, 06:25 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
Discussion

I made my first fpv flights today.

Wow what fun. I have been into aerial photography/video for a while and I would occasionally peek into this forum and be amazed by what you guys are doing. I had to do it to! I fly a Mountain Models MagpieAP using a futaba 7C 2.4 radio. I purchased a 500 mw 900mhz transmitter/receiver, kx171 camera, the 3 dbi rubber duck and 8 dbi patch antenna. For now I'm using a portable dvd player as the screen but after todays fun I think I'll have to get some goggles.

My first flight I took off and got some decent alitutude then turned my attention to the video screen. It was working!!! I alternated looking at the screen then at the plane so I wouldn't lose it in the sky. I was flying next to a race track and there happened to be a race going on so I got a pretty neat view of the cars flying around the track. I made sure not to fly over it just in case something malfunctioned. I landed in 3rd person mode and let out a whoop celebrating my success.

My second flight was much like my first but I spent more time watching the screen instead of the plane. It went so well I landed using screen only with my buddy ready to tell me if I was about to do something stupid.

I'm hooked!

Now how about some suggestions for goggles?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2008, 07:00 PM
Congratulations!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

No advice on goggles. I've never had any goggles that I really liked. The best in many ways were my original Sony Glasstrons, but they are very low res.

Pete
Aug 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
I made my second fpv flights today.

suggestions for goggles?

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...fb555e70045f5e
Last edited by motiganot; Aug 31, 2008 at 03:11 AM.
Aug 30, 2008, 07:35 PM
I didn't realize that there was a race track in Charles Town, that would be fun to see from the sky. I'm starting to see a number of people around here that fly FPV, I would love to see a casual meeting, I'm sure it would make for an awesome compilation video.

If you are in the market to buy some googles, you can try mine out. I fly with the fatshark googles, which are pretty good, but I'm still left wanting a little more.

Congrats on the sucessful flights.
Aug 30, 2008, 08:06 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
I've read about a million posts about goggles now. I went ahead and ordered the ones from range video. None of them seem to be ideal so I figure I'll give these a try.

There is a horse race track in CT but the auto track is in a neighboring town called Summit Point. Tomorrow I'm going to do a bit of flying around home since I'm familliar with the layout. I almost got lost today. hehe
Aug 30, 2008, 08:35 PM
You are talking about Summit Point? I've seen a pretty good race there, definately would be a cool place to fly. Like you said, keep it safe and far enough away from the track.
Aug 30, 2008, 08:42 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
Summit Point is the place. Here are a few pics I've taken.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=summit+point
Aug 31, 2008, 01:00 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Congrats on the flights!

Record some video and share it with us

-Chris
Aug 31, 2008, 05:20 AM

Aug 31, 2008, 10:38 AM
Suspended Account
I'm one of those types that believes you don't have to spend a fortune at something if all you want to do is have a good time. IMHO 320X240 is more than adequate to fly FPV as long as you have a good downlink and your goggles are bright enough and have good color.
My first set of goggles were lo res and had that clunky thing that flipped down over your eyes with all the electronics in it and to be honest I didn't see a whole lot of difference between those and the more expensive ones I have now.
Aug 31, 2008, 06:52 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
Two more flights under my belt today. I flew at my brothers farm which is about 1 mile from the Shenandoah river. He spotted using some image stabilized canon binoculars. It was fantastic!! I ventured as far away as the river flying up and down it with only some minor video interference. It would be at it's worst when I would fly directly at myself.

The Magpie is working a lot better then I thought as a fpv plane. I had bought a easy star to use for this purpose but now I'm wondering why.

Aug 31, 2008, 07:28 PM
The rangevideo goggles do what I want them to do. But if you are nearsighted like myself you will have to wear your prescription glasses while using the goggles. They come in a nice box with foam cutouts for storage and transporting to and from the field.
Aug 31, 2008, 07:30 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
I don't wear glasses but I have a big head. I'm hoping that isn't to much of a problem.
Aug 31, 2008, 08:54 PM
It looks like I see a copilot on there, how does that work with the 900 mhz transmitter? I like the looks of that plane, it looks like you easily fit the FPV items on there.

I'm eager to see a video when you get around to it.
Aug 31, 2008, 09:05 PM
Questionable judgement
Thread OP
The FMA copilot and the 900 mhz transmitter work well together. You don't really need it with this plane but it's nice to have. Landings are basically hands off if I choose even in difficult winds.

Quick Reply