May 10, 2001, 09:15 PM
YAW STRING
Thread OP

The truth about using Kontronik controllers with......

I want to know how well Kontronik controllers work with Aveox motors?
I plan on using a 1015 1/y with a 4.4:1 gearbox in the Smart, however I want to use a Kontronik controller as long as there is no performance loss.
Those who have mixed Kontronik controllers and Aveox motors please let me know what you have found.
Regards,
Shelby
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2001, 11:23 PM
Shelby,

I've used the Kontronik 3SL 60-14-32FAI controller with the Aveox 1406/1.5Y Hyperco motor on 26 & 27 cells.

I had also been using an Aveox H160 Competition controller and one of the older Schulze Mcd99(?) sensored controllers.

To my eye, there wasn't much in it, but others standing further away with a better view of the climb rate said the Kontronik was clearly better. Like a mean version of a mad dog, apparently.

Note however, that maximum power is the sole objective in this application. The percentage efficiency is academic. In lower power applications such as yours, efficiency is everything. I note from Steve Neu's tests in S&E that the Kontronik sensorless controllers seem to have a good efficiency, when run at or near their quoted ratings. At higher or lower currents, efficiency seems to be less than the comparable Schulze controller.

If it were my money, I'd go with a Schulze.
May 11, 2001, 02:30 AM
I have several Kontronic controllers (both with and without sensor types) and have used them on Aveox motors without any problems.

I also have a Schulze on a small Aveox and that also works fine.

Colin

May 11, 2001, 05:30 AM
I can't verify this firsthand, but when I bought my 3SL a while back, I was told it wouldn't work with the low turn 1010 series Aveox motors...something about not enough back EMF, whatever that is I was interested in a 1010, not the 1015 so perhaps this doesn't apply.
May 11, 2001, 02:04 PM
controllers work with Aveox motors?

Steve New conducted some testing using his dyno, aveox motor 1010/2y and three controllers the Aveox DS25, Kontronik SL 40 and a Schulse 45Be at 30 amps. The Schulse came on top with better performance. The Aveox and Kontronik about the same. He also stated that the falloff of Aveox controller can be explained in part to the fact that it have only 18 FETs.
May 11, 2001, 04:33 PM
Just for the record, I was referring to an Aveox 1010/1Y and a 3SL-70-6-18. Again, I have not verified whether or not this motor will work, but was told it won't by someone who I figure ought to know. Then again, since Aveox has changed the some of? the 10 series motors, maybe this no longer applies. Sorry to confuse the issue.
May 16, 2001, 12:11 AM
My T-33 has an Aveox 1114/4y on 10-11 cells mated to a Kontronik 3SLB-40-6-12...
so far, no problem.

Ron

Quick Reply