Thread Tools
Oct 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
ERCA member
Do you have any Photos of the planes that he has. It would be nice to know what he has been flying. Small electric, 1/2A, 40, 60, or big bird. Also a lot of the British use a different transmitter (mode 1) and everybody I know here in the US use a mode 2. The difference is the sticks are reversed. Mode 1 Throttle and Aileron on the right stick and Mode 2 has Aileron and Elevator on the right stick. I think if we could get together with him we could find a plane from a local club member for him to fly. We would like to talk to him about flying in England. There are other things to consider. Insurance, we all belong to AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)for accident coverage.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2012, 09:25 PM
Registered User
I agree. You dont want to go out and buy just any sort of plane for him. And even more so if he has been an RC flyer for any length of time. If you want it to be a surprise, do some homework on what kind of airplane(s) he enjoys the most, and get something comparable. The last thing you want to do is get a trainer plane for a guy that has been flying for years, and has at least a lot of experience in the hobby.

It takes time to assemble an airplane, and no two are the exact same. I would suggest starting with investigating what airplane's he likes, and contact some club members to help with how to go about purchasing the stuff. It can be overwhelming, and I can speak for just about every club member here, that we are more than willing to help guide you along.
And you never know, you may find an interest in this little slice of heaven they call a hobby as well!

Good luck!
Feb 25, 2013, 12:47 PM
Registered User

Possible meetup (Crosspost to new forums)

My father-in-law will be in town on March 22, and stay for a couple of weeks. Is there anyone who might be willing to meet up during that time?

I really haven't dealt with model RC insurance, so I don't know if your insurance covers incidental pilots (like auto insurance covers an incidental driver) or if he should get some sort of insurance if he will be flying your plane. Please inform me on this one, so I can make sure everything is set up when he arrives.

(I'm crossposting this into the new forums. They're very empty, but new, so I don't know if people are migrating there yet.)
Feb 25, 2013, 01:26 PM
ERCA member
Go to and go to Instructors under Club Info. Send an email to Marty or Roger.
Feb 25, 2013, 04:55 PM
ERCA member
Check the other forum, posted there.

Quick Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article 1st U.S. R/C Flight School's Advanced Aerobatics Manual Review 78dave Sport Planes 6 Jan 31, 2017 09:34 AM
For Sale Ace R/C seamaster 40 KIT $80 + s&H sarmoby Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 13, 2007 01:06 AM
Sold First U.S. R/C Flight School "One Week To Solo" Video kctrading Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 5 Jan 08, 2007 08:47 PM
Collector's U/C Kit plans (convert to R/C?) iker3 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jan 22, 2005 07:59 PM