Sep 28, 2008, 11:08 AM

smoke system

cub is almost done! but one thing. how easy is it to tap your muffler for smoke?? and for smoke oil can you really use regular diesel?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
It's quite easy to tap the muffler for smoke. You just need a drill, fuel nipple/inlet, and a tap with the same threads.

For smoke oil, I use Super-Dri that you can get from Chief Aircraft or Tower. Yes, you can make your own. There are many recipes out there, and some are better than others. I wouldn't use straight diesel, but you can mix it with baby oil to get a nice looking, (and nice smelling!) smoke. Be sure to put the tap fairly close to the engine on the muffler, but not so close that the oil will start leaking into the cylinder.

What engine are you going to be using again??
Sep 30, 2008, 12:57 AM
i will be using the os 120 four stoke with this really cool muffler that khoi hooked me up with.

what is your take on the du-bro smoke system?
Sep 30, 2008, 06:48 PM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
The smoke system has to be pumped in some manner. You can tap the crankcase of the engine for smoke and use the Dubro valve, (I think that's all it is: a valve and some tubing) to turn the smoke on and off.

I'd recommend spending a little extra and buying an actual smoke pump like the Sullivan Skywriter, (that's what I use) or something equivalent.

-Pat
Oct 10, 2008, 01:43 AM

ERCA!!! Wow you guy's have done a lot...

Hello,

I am not sure if many would remember me. I was a member of ERCA from 91' to 02'.

At first I was befriended by Richard Walker, Alan Wellentin, Steve and Spencer Harris, Frank Blain and a many other members.

I left and moved to Portland to continue my education and to get married (yes I know slap me), we have a beautiful son. And he wants to do like his Daddy -- Fly RC Planes and Helis.

Yes I got into Heli's, flying Heli's like Hirobo Shuttle 30, TT Raptor 50's, JR Vigor 90, TRex's 450 and soon a 600 (it's a hopped up 50 on CrAcK!)

And now we are thinking of moving back to Eugene aka home..!

So I guess I should re-sign-up for a new member ship Huh.

Maybe my Son and I will come down for the weekend and bring some RC'ing stuff with us.

Anyhow, it was great to see the wonderfull website and look at the pictures of the new field. Wow what a job you folks did on that, damn fine work - I'm sorry I missed the work parties.

Being up here (Portland and working 50+ hrs a week) does not lend itself to being readilly available to drive 2 hrs. Though had I know I would have made an attempt to get my behind to Eugene.

Anyhow enough blabing on, time for some shut eye...

Have a great weekend people,

Richard Rabbat - Now do you remember... Huh
AMA 463262
Oct 10, 2008, 02:16 AM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
I certainly take no credit for the current great state of the club. I'm riding on the heels of folks like Frank that made the field what it is from a small patch of farmland.

We'd certainly welcome you to visit ANYTIME. =) Bring some planes and helis and let's have some fun.

How old is your son??
Oct 10, 2008, 10:28 PM

Hey

P-Diddy,

My son is now 31/2+, soon to be 4. He shows a keen interest on the flying models and is in aw of them. When I fly my planes or helis he is right next to me, holding on to my pants and screems and says Wow repeatedly... LOL

Richard
Oct 11, 2008, 12:08 AM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
Awesome! My youngest is about to turn 3, and he's my little flying buddy. He can spend all day out at the field and still get mad when it's time to go home. Sometimes when I'm flying, he'll fly his little die cast airplane in front of him mimicking the maneuvers my plane is doing. My five-year-old is also very interested in airplanes, but he's autistic and can be pretty hard to manage out there. My oldest is completely uninterested in airplanes.

I'm looking forward to seeing you fly your helicopters. I fly a T-Rex 600N and an MSH Protos 500, although the Protos is down for repairs right now. I'm still pretty new to helis, less than two years of experience with those, but I started flying airplanes when I was about 10 years old, (I'm 31 now). I'm currently flying a 33% Yak 54 with a 3W85xi in the nose and a 29% Giles G202 with a 40cc gas engine.

Let me know when you can make it down.

Patrick Willis
ERCA President 2007-2008
Oct 19, 2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
Elections are coming up quickly, and we're looking for people to fill e-board positions, including mine.

Please come nominate someone at the October meeting.

-Pat
Dec 07, 2008, 12:28 AM
Pat! dude i got a trex 450 and im already a pro :]
Dec 07, 2008, 03:09 AM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
Awesome! You still have the 600 too? Wait until you try the big ones...
Apr 27, 2009, 10:18 PM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
It's time to re-vamp this forum and get the party started back up!!
Jun 19, 2009, 02:35 PM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
ERCA Big-Bird Fun-Fly at the Oakridge Airport is coming up on July 18th!!! Bring a plane, (even if it's not IMAA legal with huge wings, bring it and fly it anyway).

I plan to be there with my 33% Extra 260. Hopefully the smoke pump will be back from service by then.

Hope to see you there.

-Pat
Mar 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
AMA #953123
Do you guys have a "free day" here you can come in and fly at the club to see how you like it?
Mar 27, 2010, 04:20 PM
Registered Independent!!
Thread OP
As long as you are a current AMA member you are welcome to join us and fly for a day, but a club member has to be present. Come out on a weekend in the morning and you are bound to have some good company to fly with.

-Pat

Quick Reply