Aug 27, 2008, 03:49 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Cool

Final Summer of Space Design - JETPACK!!!

OK guys, this will be my last Summer of Space design. It is also my most ambitious.

This is actually by request of my Dad. He was out at Oshkosk and saw the new Jetpack there and i figure that JetPacks are certainly Spacey!

One motor, 2 props. Belt drive, Groovy fan rings, Aileron/Elevon control for rotate/forward/reverse, Rudder type vanes for left right movement.

Battery will be at the bottom by the feet to make it as stable as possible while hovering. I doubt that i will ever take it out of the "hover" mode. If decide that i want to i can always add more control surfaces at the feet.

I am also going to probably power this with 7.4v battery instead of 11.1v. Not sure yet though. I am going to see how my motor handles the load.

Looks sweet though!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2008, 04:13 PM
I was just showing a co-worker the design and decided to snap another pic.

It sure is cool!!
Aug 27, 2008, 04:22 PM
Will work for foam
SGT - with the batt at the bottom, why not just move the 'pilot' to shift the weight for fore/aft and side-to-side movement? should be a more simple setup and less likely to get out of control quickly. the original jetpack was setup that way and apparenlty very intuitive to fly.
Aug 27, 2008, 04:31 PM
Retardedly intelligent
this one is cool definitely subscribing to this thread.
Aug 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
I don't trust weight shift. My Dad was a hang glider pilot when he was young and moved into weight shift Ultralights later. I was never impressed with the control capabilities of either.

It is one thing to be able to sit in a machine and feel which way it is moving to adjust it is another to stand 100 feet away and try to control that way. Besides, how am i going to do 3D aerobatics with weight shift?
Aug 27, 2008, 04:54 PM
d n not another one, lol. this one may turn out to be a real challenge. Looks good as usual.
Aug 27, 2008, 05:00 PM
Will work for foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
I don't trust weight shift. My Dad was a hang glider pilot when he was young and moved into weight shift Ultralights later. I was never impressed with the control capabilities of either.

It is one thing to be able to sit in a machine and feel which way it is moving to adjust it is another to stand 100 feet away and try to control that way. Besides, how am i going to do 3D aerobatics with weight shift?

Roger on that. didnt know 3D was in the picture. i will be watching this one though.
Aug 27, 2008, 05:32 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
that looks sweet and i hope it will hover good and please keep us posted
Aug 27, 2008, 06:54 PM
Cant you feel the freedom
Good luck SGTalon! This one looks like it might be kinda hard to pull off.
Aug 27, 2008, 07:18 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
why not use a couple legit edf's?
Aug 27, 2008, 07:26 PM
Cant you feel the freedom
EDFs are less efficient than, say, 7 inch props and the lift is much more concentrated rather than spread out over a wide area. If he wanted to be able to do crazy tricks with it EDFs would be a good idea, otherwise the 7 inch props will give him longer battery run and make it a tad bit more stable. My 2 cents.
Aug 27, 2008, 08:16 PM
That is exactly it. EDF's are very inefficient for the amount of power you have to put into them. They also draw a LOT of power!

The smallest EDF that would fly this would draw about 25 amps EACH!! That is 50 amps of power... the batteries I have would explode before i got one of them powered.

I was only half kidding about the 3D thing. I will be lucky if i can even make the thing fly! We will see though. I have gotten pretty lucky... uh i mean my super genius intellect has allowed me to do some major engineering feats!

Anyhow. I still need to build a few other planes before i can start this one. the Imperial Star Destroyer is nearly finished finally. Then i need to get the Defiant done, then the BSG stuff... whew!!
Aug 27, 2008, 11:55 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Cool idea.

For some odd reason your pics remind me of Rock em Sock em Robots.....don't know why....but it's cool anyway.
Aug 27, 2008, 11:57 PM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Awesome!

My mate help develop that jet pack - Go the kiwis!
Aug 28, 2008, 12:30 AM
new pic, same plane....
awesome DEFINITELY get a video of the maiden. should be awesome looking in flight.