This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 09, 2012, 11:31 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
I decided to do a little maintenance on the Corsair in preparation for an upcoming fun-fly event at the field. I've noticed that the plane has less power than when I first tested it, so I decided it was finally time to make a proper series adapter to put between my battery packs and my ESC. The one I had was make of thin gage wires and the solder joints weren't the best and were beginning to blacken. I'm guessing that there has been a lot of power loss thru this set of wires.

When I first opened up the battery hatch to start the mods, as soon as I touched the wires going to the new BEC I put in, one of the solder joints broke loose! This was ready to break on the next gust of air it got. I'm lucky I caught that!

I ended up making a monster of a series connector. I used two parallel strands of 10 gage wire for each segment.

When I was getting ready to wrap up, I took a close look at my ESC and found that one of the leads from one of the two capacitors wasn't even connected to the ESC! I have no idea why I looked there, but I'm glad I did. I wonder how long I've been flying like this!?

I've taken apart my ESC so I have access to the circuit board. Now I need to buy a new capacitor.

More delays. Bummer.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2013, 04:16 PM
Still flying. I got a great new video...
RC Corsair Flight 5/14/2013 (6 min 30 sec)
Jun 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
Another video flying over the bluff...
RC Corsair flight along a bluff (6 min 8 sec)
Jan 14, 2014, 09:02 AM
Well last week my motor quit on takeoff. I wasn't even 10' up yet but I had pulled the gear up already. Not enough time to react, I opted for a belly landing, which looked nice and gentle from afar. Upon reaching the plane, I was shocked to see all the damage, and so was everyone else at the field.

The cowl broke off nice and clean which isn't a problem, but my main spar broke. I'm going to have to do some surgery in the future when I have time. The gear doors also ripped of since they had not closed at the time of impact.

Log book status: 7.1 hrs flight time, 78 landings, 70 packs flown.
Aug 07, 2016, 10:16 AM
Subd