Aug 23, 2008, 09:49 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

The New NOMAD

I see from reading the November 08 issue of Backyard Flier that House of Balsa has a new version of the famous Nomad. It looks like it would be fun as a back yard or park flyer.
http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...jkMBCUoik4m8x7

to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2008, 06:25 PM
War Eagle!
It sure does look fun. But still, $70 for such a simple kit...
Aug 24, 2008, 05:05 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
It sure does look fun. But still, $70 for such a simple kit...
I noticed the same thing. Those cheap Chinese products have spoiled us Ė American quality definitely costs more. But with a sheeted wing you donít have the expense of covering material.

Aug 24, 2008, 07:53 AM
War Eagle!
I wasn't even thinking cheap Chinese products... There are a lot of fine-looking laser-cut kits produced in the good ol' U.S. of A. that are quite affordable...
Aug 25, 2008, 12:22 AM
It looks like they're using sheeted wings. I wonder why? I have an original Nomad and it doesn't have a sheeted wing.
Sep 03, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hi,
Due to several coincidences, I was able to beta-build a new Nomad Electric kit. I learned to fly with a Nomad back in the 70s with a pulse rudder single channel. There is a lot of wood and new engineering in this little kit and it is my understanding that it is in limited production because they hand pick the balsa. The wing is completely sheeted compared to the old Nomad because the new philosophy is that a beginner will need no Monokoting skills to build this new plane. All that is required is a couple of light coats of Krylon clear. That said, I covered mine with the lightest film I could find and swapped out a brushless motor. It flies great and can be a slow flyer or a sailplane. It was a simple build and there is a surprising amount of balsa in the box. The stock set up uses a cheap Speed 300 7.2v with a Gunther prop, so the price of the plane, ready to go, is very reasonable. I had mine ready to fly in less than a week, building in the evenings.

Todd
Sep 04, 2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the answer. Pretty plane.

I too learned on this plane back in the day using a homemade hi-start made from 1/4" flat rubber and a bunch of fishing line. It was a very, very docile airplane... i.e. something that you could learn on and solo by yourself. A parkflyer before anyone used that term.
Sep 04, 2008, 05:20 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Thatís definitely on my winter build list. Does anyone else sell them or do I have to order it from the HoB directly?
Sep 05, 2008, 02:08 PM
It is my understanding that House of Balsa is selling direct only at this time. It's kind of a limited release since the balsa has to be selected carefully.

Todd
Sep 17, 2008, 06:01 AM
I placed an order a couple weeks ago for the nomad for my father-in-law. He seems to buy any plane he sees in a magazine! This one really caught his eye. A couple days after we placed the order they responded via email that the plane was backordered because they are waiting for a new stock of balsa. They explained that the first wave of good balsa usually goes to china and the next round comes to the US. I don't know if that is actually true but we still haven't seen the kit. It is perfectly fine though since it is going to be his winter project. Just my 2 cents.
Jun 16, 2009, 07:42 PM
This plane looks like it will make a nice water plane/sailplane.

Quick Reply