Feb 07, 2003, 01:47 AM
Jason Stiffey

Night flyer?

Ok I have this wild hair to build a fun fly type plane about 36 inch wingspan or so and light it for night flight under transparent covering.
I would like to build it from plans so I can easily repair/replace it when it has that inevitable incident at night...

I fly my helis at night and thought something of this nature would be a fun addition to that.

My question is Which one? Anybody have some plans for a plane of that nature? I am looking for something with a thick cord wing and symetrical so it will fly inverted as well as it does upright.
I am thinking electric power, but not a $300 brushless setup or anything like that. Maybe a Speed 400 size? It doesn't need to break the sound barrier just have some ooph to do aerobatics.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2003, 02:53 AM
BEC
BEC
Modelair-Tech Tumblewatt? www.modelairtech.com. This is plans only - Speed 400 direct drive by design.

For a kit that builds so fast you wonder why you didn't do it sooner, Mountain Models MiniFlash (www.mountainmodels.com). This is set up for a geared 370 as in the GWS Zero, P-51, Beaver and Slowstick. Also the Mountain Models Switchback - either Sport or 3D. The Sport has a Clark-Y wing (the real thing) but that doesn't prevent it from inside and outside loops with ease. The Switchbacks also have a built up rather than sheet tail, which might be more amenable to lighting than the MiniFlash.
Last edited by BEC; Feb 07, 2003 at 02:55 AM.
Feb 07, 2003, 10:36 AM
Jason Stiffey

Thanks...

I had checked out the mountain models stuff and that looks good.
I also found this page off the modeltech link you gave me...
http://www.aerocraftrc.com/
The Tumblewatt looks like just the ticket! Even comes with clear covering. I don't care for the t-tail of the other models. Purely cosmetic driven mind you.