Aug 22, 2008, 09:39 PM
@"C"
Thread OP
Discussion

Dumas Creole Queen

Hi guys, Does anyone have a Dumas Creole Queen model? The specs say it is 48" but is this the overall length or is it the hull length? The model has a ramp/bridge on the front which if included in the length I would estimate the hull to be about 40". Any info would be great. cheers Ray
Last edited by windward; Aug 23, 2008 at 06:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2008, 06:07 AM
@"C"
Thread OP
somebody - anybody - please!
Aug 24, 2008, 07:33 AM
This is just a guess, so don't put much faith in it. I would tend to think that 48" is the overall length, probably includes the ramp. I have a sort of 'odd' way of looking at 'length'. If it's long enough to be sort of easy to work in(side of), it's probably big enough. It also has to be 'short' enough so I can haul it to the water and not give myself a hernia, you know? Big is sort of relative, depends on just how big. My usual sailing place limits the size of boat you can put on it (no rules but not a big pond). The city has several larger lakes I can sail on, but they have this weird idea that if the boat is very large, I gotta get a permit for it. And cuz I'm cheap, that idea just really aggravated me for some reason. Which is all beside the point, so big deal...
- 'Doc
Aug 24, 2008, 08:30 AM
Ray, the built one running playing Dixie land jazz looked to be 4' long,it's a big boat. It is very impressive on the water. Specialy with steam,whistle,and music sound systems in it. Did you ever get the lobster boat??
Aug 24, 2008, 08:50 AM
AKA Mr Pita
Hi Ray, I have a CQ that is close to done. The hull and wheel are 47 1/2 inches long. the gangplank hangs over the bow about 8 inches dependig on the angle.My dad did most of the build so I can't answer alot of construction ?'s but I can try. It just fit in my bathtub for float test and needs very calm water to run. Greg
Aug 25, 2008, 02:53 AM
@"C"
Thread OP
Thanks Guys, thats what I needed to know. Sounds like a good size. Charlie - didn't get Lobster boat, doing the Amsterdam Tug. Cheers Ray
Aug 25, 2008, 10:04 AM
USA'd ex Brit
There are some 'part' builds if you do a search... I do remember one builder having problems with his sitting very low in the water..
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=creole+queen

By the way, a Creole Queen (complete / built) recently sold on fleabay for $8,500..
Aug 25, 2008, 10:10 AM
Ray, Here are a few pictures of the one at the Point Pleasant River Museum that I thought was a beautiful model. I took these on our Ohio River trip on the DELTA QUEEN this month and was never to interested in this Dumas model until I saw this one. Now I think I have to put it on my "to build" list. Jerryj98501
Aug 25, 2008, 10:12 AM
A few more. Jerryj98501
Sep 07, 2008, 06:28 AM
@"C"
Thread OP
Yipee!!! I have just received the Dumas Creole Queen kit. I couldn't wait to get into it. (not bad for the first few hours work ) I have read a few threads on the kit and the biggest problem seems to be the way it sits very low in the water. Any help or ideas how I can help overcome this would be great. I look forward to this build and I hope I haven't taken on more than I handle. (thanks for the pics Jerry, these will be my inspiration when the going gets tough!) cheers Ray
Last edited by windward; Sep 07, 2008 at 06:41 AM.
Sep 07, 2008, 08:06 AM
Windward- I just started mine yesterday and it looks just like yours, but I glued in the shears to be sure the frames are aligned right.
What are you using for power? I'm going plain vanilla initially and may add sounds etc. later.
Have fun.
ps: I never saw so much stuff in a box before.
Last edited by 420TEE; Sep 07, 2008 at 08:11 AM.
Sep 07, 2008, 08:54 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Quote:
Originally Posted by windward
I have read a few threads on the kit and the biggest problem seems to be the way it sits very low in the water. Any help or ideas how I can help overcome this would be great.
Try and keep the construction LIGHT!. Are there any pieces you can 'add' lightening holes?... Are there any pieces you can substitute with lighter wood?.
Try and keep your paint and installation to a minimum...
Sep 07, 2008, 10:00 AM
AKA Mr Pita
My CQ needed wieght to bring it down to the waterline which is very low. full size paddlewheelers also sit low as the are riverboats and don't see any large waves.The model truly needs to be run on calm water perferably little to no wind as well. mine is also waiting on a new drive belt. I have a small gearmotor running a pulley, the whole thing is on a spring loaded sliding mount to keep belt tension.This thread is just the right motivation for me to get going on this again. Greg
Sep 07, 2008, 11:29 AM

Build question

Last sentence, step 4. Brace between chine, jig and shear. I can't make head nor tail of it from the figure 1 drawing or the grainy, lousy photo. What does it brace? How is it made from the 1/8x1/4 chine material? Several pieces stacked together? Why?
Sep 08, 2008, 12:08 AM
Port of Louisville
Isn't a more recent version from dumas offered with one-piece hull? Seems like I saw that somewhere, or is a brand new one still the plank on frame? I have ridden this boat before, nice little excursion paddlewheeler.

Phillip

Quick Reply