Cox Models R/C Collection/Addict - RC Groups
Aug 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Closed Account
Discussion

Cox Models R/C Collection/Addict

Greetings,

I've inadvertently become a collector of various discontinued Cox Models Radio Controlled aircraft over the years, and I'm looking to add to my collection.
I first started flying R/C on a Cox EZ-Bee II that I received for my 10th birthday back in 1990. It met it's demize a year and a half later when a gust of wind made the wings clap while doing some winter flying on a frozen lake in New Hampshire.

I have sice found a brand new, NIB Cox EZ-Bee II, however, I think I'll wait awhile, perhaps if and when I have a son, to fly that with him.

As a gift from graduating Navy Boot Camp, My father had found a Cox Cessna Centurian at a local hobby shop outside of Chicago. I still have not flown it, however, it has aquired a bit of hanger rash as I was relocated from Pensacola and Norfolk. I still have not flown it, however, I have run the engine.

About a year ago I started getting my collection. I now have the Piper Arrow, the Piper Archer, and I still don't have the ones I'm looking for.
I'm looking for the Cessna Skylane and the Cox Sportavia, and the O.G. EZ-Bee. I know Cox was going to put out an electric version, which was either unvield at WRAM or Toledo, but I don't know when. Either way, if anyone has parts or whole kits, and want to part with them, please contact me.

I didn't start this as a want ad, I was curious if anyone else has some Cox planes that they still fly or are rebuilding.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
i have the skylane 182, no radio or engine, still have the cowl and wheelpants. i've been thinking of converting it to electric. Kyosho made all those semi-scale planes for cox, not sure who made the EZ-bee. i had one of the first EZ-bees back in 1987, i sure do miss that jewel. mine died as yours did, folded the wings in a spin, getting it down from a boomer of a thermal. the sportavia and the canario weretwo more good flyers....the canario would be sweet with a brushless motor and a lipo pack.
Aug 22, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have a Cox Fairchild hanging in the basement.. new. no radio.
Aug 31, 2008, 03:57 PM
Closed Account
I forgot about that Fairchild model. Did it fly well?
Sep 01, 2008, 01:22 PM
I have never flown the Fairchild... still new.
Sep 05, 2008, 08:08 PM
Reveret
Here's a never flown Skylane with the radio and original starter kit. I started to hack it for electric power but I couldn't bring myself around to making the change. I also have most of a Sportavia that I've had since the early 80's and it is well beat up.

I also have some Cox engines left over from my college days in the late 70's. All I had room for was small models and the only viable power available was the Cox offerings.
Sep 05, 2008, 08:42 PM
my collection is made up off the folowing;
of pt19, electric sportavia graupner decals, piper arrow, cessna 182,flyboy, ez bee II,fairchild 24
they are in storage with a friend but when I have made room in my apartment I will take them home and posts pics.
Sep 05, 2008, 08:45 PM
reveret is that the foam or blow molded fuse version?
Sep 05, 2008, 09:16 PM
Reveret
The plane is all foam. I think there may be some sort of covering laminated to the foam to make it more durable.
Sep 06, 2008, 11:18 PM
What "today" servos would you use to replace the originals on a Cox Lazy Bee
Sep 07, 2008, 06:56 PM

servo options

the cox servo's were not really powerfull or fast so any mini servo would do hitec he 55 if you like to save a little weight or he 81 if you prefer some more power.
one thing: Do NOT use them with the stock cox Sanaa reciever because the pin asignment is reversed and you will blow the servo if you do not make sure + and- are in the correct place. For any servo you will need some foam to make a wedge so they fit well in the hole.
Sep 09, 2008, 01:42 AM
The R/C version of the PT-19 is an impressive model. It is all foam, and has a nice set of scale details. The pilots are peculiar; they are vacuum formed shells that are glued together, and look EXACTLY like the Williams Bros 2" scale military pilots...hmm. Anyway, cool airplane, and it looks like it would be a great flyer. Mines still in the box, kind of reluctant to assemble it.

The Skylane is a great model, but I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner airplane. I wonder how many have bit the dust in the hands of an unaware beginner??

John
Sep 18, 2008, 07:22 PM

Cl molds

as far as I know cox has scraped there molds for there cl models.
Could anyone contact cox and find out if they can be recovered? If they have been sold to a scrap metal dealer theyight still exist. Enen when they might not be usable anymore they might be collectors items.
Sep 18, 2008, 10:47 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
The PT-19 r/c is a nice model, but is a bit heavy for the .049 engine supplied. With a good Norvel .061, and (modern) micro r/c gear, it would perform admirably. The Cox fairchild 24 is much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
The R/C version of the PT-19 is an impressive model. It is all foam, and has a nice set of scale details. The pilots are peculiar; they are vacuum formed shells that are glued together, and look EXACTLY like the Williams Bros 2" scale military pilots...hmm. Anyway, cool airplane, and it looks like it would be a great flyer. Mines still in the box, kind of reluctant to assemble it.

The Skylane is a great model, but I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner airplane. I wonder how many have bit the dust in the hands of an unaware beginner??

John
Sep 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
My Skylane is the all-foam version, made by Kyosho and marketed by Cox. the blow molded fuselage version was known as "LSS" which stood for "Light, Strong and Seamless" and the foam/laminate ones were designated "OHS" and my case of CRS won't allow me to remember what OHS meant. the Skylane is fairly fast, not a good beginners plane. i taught myself to fly RC with the sportavia glider and an assortment of those foam gliders that you find in k-mart, etc. with the r/c components jammed into holes carved in the fuse and the cox babe bee mounted on a pylon.