View Poll Results: Do you or would you fly in your street?
Yes, I do. 40 40.82%
No, I don't. 22 22.45%
Yes, I would or have thought about it. 17 17.35%
No, I would never think of such a thing. 19 19.39%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 06, 2003, 08:21 PM
Giddy up!
Thread OP

Would you or do you fly in your street? (with a parkflyer - not slowflyer)

Do any of you guys fly or would you fly in the street in front of your house? I'm not talking about slowflyers like TM or something similar, I'm talking about 34" WS and higher. I'm not saying E3D either. I've often thought about it but I'm worried about losing site of the plane behind a house or something like a radio problem coming into play. I'd hate to crash into something and cause damage. I see so many photos in the aero photography forum and the views look like the guys are taking off from their streets. I guess I'm just simply asking if you guys do fly in your street?

My street...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2003, 08:28 PM
BOSS
I would love to fly on your street, but not on mine Mine has alot more trees.

Jon
Feb 06, 2003, 09:18 PM
I fly on my street. my trees are still young too. and my road is wider. I only fly park flyers though. I once flew a fast Acro bipe conversion in my street and lost it behind a house. Planes attract the kids. I would not fly a fast plane in my street. that would be very unsafe. and you yould have to shoo the kids away on approach. Not safe. When I fly my tm in the street I can usualy get away with taking off but when I need to come in I have to land in my lawn as there are no kids there and I come in dead stick. But the TM only weighs a few oz so when you bump into a house or a car or heaven forbid a kid. nothing will happen. Best and only time to fly in the street is when the kids are at school. Please do not fly any plane around a group of neighbor hood kids it is just asking for trouble.
Feb 06, 2003, 09:19 PM

My 2 cents...

If it ever got away from you{not bucking your flying skills!} it could cause damage. My street looks similar, but in decent weather has alot of kids...not a good combo. A nimble plane could work..talk to the neighbors and get lead how they feel...it's they're street too.{that and there's always one cranky one on a givin block!}.
Feb 06, 2003, 09:25 PM

i've flown in the street before

We have a pretty narrow street with trees on both sides...and such large trees that they reach across the street and the branches touch each other so that at points its like being in a tunnel. I actually had the nerve to fly on several occasions and on some of these occasions I actually made a few laps up and down the street before crashing into an oak tree. I've gotten caught in the branches alot...and had to ask my family to hand me a rake or something long to shake the branches and hope that my plane falls out...which luckily...it did.
planes i've flown in the street include the tiny....the lite stick..and the lite stick cub.

I'm practicing though...one day this will be easy.
Feb 06, 2003, 09:29 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
I fly in my street....I'ce flown gas trainers. I live across a horse feild. I just take off, circle around, and climb and fly around. I am basically the only kid on the street, the other is like 3 or something. I fly my My moth and My dad's beaver off the road. I don't know about your street, you'd have to climb up above the houses and just circle.

Mongoose
Feb 06, 2003, 09:30 PM
Giddy up!
Thread OP
I'm not really looking to use my street as the local flying field but I just thought maybe that one day when friends are over and checking out my hangar I might pull one out and head to the street. I'm sure it would attract a crowd though, my neighborhood is loaded with youngsters.

Since we don't have mature trees (newer subdivision) I picture taking off but staying high above the houses so not to lose it behind them.

(Mitch don't give me a lecture , I probably wouldn't ever actually try it but just thought about it).
Feb 06, 2003, 09:32 PM
Tee Sqaured
I got a pretty cool street to fly off
Feb 06, 2003, 10:02 PM

Street flying

The problem with street flying ir that some thing will eventually go wrong, or some grouch will complain, then not only will you lose street flying but the city will pass a law outlawing flying anywhere in city limits. this has happened in my city, Saskatoon , canada, 10/12 years ago some dipsticks flew 25-40 gas models at a local park , now there's alaw, no flyinin the city. but I still fly in alocal park , but ,and it's a big but, I fly small electrics 280 power,very quietly, no one knows I'm there. lets be smart guys
Feb 06, 2003, 10:14 PM
I do but the next house is over 1/4 mi. away.In town though people..kids..dogs=lawsuit

steve
Feb 06, 2003, 10:15 PM
Sal,
You have a huge street to fly in! I do most of my flying with my litestik in front of my house because it is so convenient. I only fly in my yard and the width of my yard in the street because the power lines cross over my yard and crisscross in both directions on the street. I rarely fly above the power lines or the house height. Actually I think it is more fun to fly in close proximity than in a big open field.
I want to build a slower, smaller model with a gws lps system one of these days.
It does quicken your pulse a little flying in the street.
Feb 06, 2003, 11:21 PM
Crash Master
Hi Sal,

Yes, I have and I still do on occaision. I'm not crazy about getting above the houses, in case something goes wrong, but I have.

My street and yards are a lot like yours, except mature trees (25 year old subdivision). In the summer, there's no way to see a plane if you go above the trees, but this time of year, it's not bad.

I really, really enjoy flying my Mini IFO on the street. I just ran out and dumped a pack through my MIFO a minute ago. With lights, it's a nice rush. Sure, I hit my mailbox, the neigbor's bush, my truck and the street a couple times, but that's what the MIFO is all about My dog loves to chase it, which is great fun and training for the pilot! She caught it earlier this evening, and didn't know what to do No damage, but a lot of fun...
Feb 06, 2003, 11:24 PM
BEC
BEC
Ken Willard, in 1969, designed a two channel 40 inch span cabin plane for flying in just such a place - the Showmaster (Cox .049 and Kraft two channel brick radio, about 16 - 18 ounces AUW). I think of mine as one of the original park flyers - low wing loading, highly undercambered (draggy) wing, impeccable handling.

If the wind was right (down the street) and I knew traffic was nonexistent I'd be tempted by your street. My cul-de-sac at least doesn't have overhead power lines like many streets nearby, but the biggest/heaviest thing I've ever flown here was my MA-T SlowMoWatt. These days the Gym-E and the Tiny-X (especially the latter) do just about anything I'd want to do in such close quarters. Once in awhile the TM gets a sortie - even occasionally a night one.
Latest blog entry: Back to full capacity
Feb 06, 2003, 11:28 PM
In spite of the fact that planes of this type are relativly small and lightweight they are still capable of causing harm should an accident occur. Therefore I fly only in areas that are away from houses and play areas.
Feb 06, 2003, 11:29 PM
Jalapeņo Flyer

Street Flying

I fly in front of my house all the time. That is what this hobby is all about. Check out my Jalapeno video taken "in the street" at www.foamflyers.com

Mike

Quick Reply