View Poll Results: Thumb or Pinch method, which do you use and why?
Thumb Man 43 53.75%
Pinch 28 35.00%
My Own Variation 9 11.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 21, 2008, 06:16 AM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Thread OP
Poll

Thumb or Pinch Method, which method do you use & why?

After listening to this week's episode of InsideHeli I decide I would start a poll and see what the rough percentages are of people who fly with thumbs versus people who fly with the pinch method.

Maybe becasue I am from the video game era and am so use to using my thumbs it just feels better for me. I have tried doing it on the sim, forced myself to do it and I cannot get comfortable with it. I am also no 3D flyer yet so maybe as I progress I will change, who knows. I am happy doing flips, loops and rolls for now

I am however teaching my 5 year old son to fly with the pinch method, though also due to the fact his hands are so small he can't really use his thumbs.

I am curious to hear how others fly and to hear from those that have done both to see what they prefer. I have seen guys do both and do good at both so who knows. I know I hear mostly that the pinch method is better and helps you be more precise, but like I said I have seen guys do both and both look awesome! I think it may be more dependent upon the individual. But let's see what you all have to say!

BTW in case you didn't get my preference it is thumbs all the way for me and I use a neckstrap on a DX7 with the Spektrum Neck Strap Adapter to get it all balanced out right. I used to use the Rotorworkz knobs but found them to be too big and I actually just prefer the stock sticks.

Kyle
www.RcSuperSales.net
Autorotate to save your LIFE!!
Last edited by RcSuperSales-Net; Aug 21, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2008, 06:17 AM
Pinch + Neckstrap.
Aug 21, 2008, 06:25 AM
^^^^^ X 2! I feel more precise with the pinch.
Aug 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
Thumbs for over 20 years and no plans on changing.

It truly is personal preference....there are pro's that use thumbs and pro's that use pinch.

What's up Kyle!

Skarn
Aug 21, 2008, 07:47 AM
HAV
HAV
Thumb on the right, pinch on the left....with neck strap. HAV
Aug 21, 2008, 08:48 AM
RIP - Caster Of Pods
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAV
Thumb on the right, pinch on the left....with neck strap. HAV
Interesting. I fly thumb on the left, pinch on the right. I think maybe I started that way because I didn't used to use a neckstrap (I do now, though) and thumbing on the left helped me to hold the transmitter better. Now that I always use a strap, I've tried changing to the pinch method on the left hand for more precision with my helis, but it just doesn't seem comfortable.

Go figure!
Aug 21, 2008, 08:49 AM
Harry from Atlanta, Ga.
I use only thumbs (comfort factor for me) but then I have large hands...

It is whatever you feel most comfortable with (a personal choice)

However, experts state that for F3C (very stable flight with small stick movements) pinch gives more steady grip.
For 3D pinch will slow you down (with wild stick banging) so thumbs are faster.

Harry
Aug 21, 2008, 08:50 AM
Pinch with Petal RC Elite transmitter tray. Now, I don't feel comfortable flying without the tray..
Aug 21, 2008, 09:06 AM
Something Witty.
Pinch the throttle, thumb the cyclic. No matter how hard I try, can't get used to pinching the cyclic.
Aug 21, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thumbs on both, seem pretty comfortable to me.
Aug 21, 2008, 09:30 AM
I remember last time this poll was made, pinch was always on top, this one's going the other way .
Aug 21, 2008, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technex
I remember last time this poll was made, pinch was always on top, this one's going the other way .
I thought the same and Technex - but it looks like it isn't really the case...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591120 - Thumbs

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605234 - Thumbs

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=19 - Pinch, but not the real voting

And now add this which, again(?), leans toward thumbs.

Disclaimer: by no means I am not trying to point out that one is better than another! O: )

- - -

Correct me if I have missed any other voting on the same subject.
Aug 21, 2008, 10:23 AM
I forced myself to change from thumbs to a pinch grip, and I'm glad I did. I believe there is a mechanical advantage to having a second finger almost in opposition to the first in terms of control. This might be less important with long sticks or a lot of expo, but try it on a sensitive model with linear response. I find those small corrections around center to be much more precise with a pinch grip, but it does take getting used to.

Daniel
Aug 21, 2008, 10:33 AM
Good point clicky, wow didn't know that. Must have been other forums then.

I even use pinch for my car . (RC not real, although when I get a real one I most likely will, hahaha!)
Aug 21, 2008, 10:40 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
here's what curtis youngblood has to say on the matter (here>> http://www.curtisyoungblood.com/faqs/search.php?id=1116 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Youngblood
I have seen many great fliers who just use thumbs. I would use what you are used to. Whether you use thumbs or Pinch methods normally just means you would use a different amount of Expo or Dual rates to be comfortable with the controls.

Answered on September 6, 2004
phil

Quick Reply